• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

I hadn’t considered how close Center Parcs is.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the future if Universal approached Center Parcs to buy the resort and tie it fully in.
Woburn Safari Park is not far down the road either.

When you think about it, it actually looks like a great place to base yourself for a UK holiday - Center Parcs, Universal, the safari park and direct links to London. Whipsnade Zoo isn't a million miles away either.

I personally don't think Merlin will bat an eyelid. They have IP coming out of their ears and an international presence so another competitor won't worry them.

When it comes to Merlin's Theme Park Resort division, or it's European Legoland Theme Park division, who are the other competitors?

No Merlin resort theme park has a world class theme park closer than a 6 hour drive. Now half of them will potentially have one within 2 hours. Operated by a company who's brand is so revered and IP's so well known, people cross oceans and continents to experience their product.

This is big news for Merlin, massive, huge.

Didn't Merlin push through Hyperia based purely on the threat of the London Resort?

As it is, I'm sure Merlin might very well go the 'cut costs up prices' route, but I think that would be a mistake. Of course I'd never expect them to drop 100's of millions in improvements but just upping their game in operations, food and stuff like that would help immensely.

Of course they might very well manage to skate by, relying on visitors who have long loved their parks - Towers I could especially see coping like that, the location the Towers themselves will stay a draw even if they cut prices everywhere else and just stagnate. Thorpe Park could do their current plan of dropping a new Coaster every 8-10 years and painting the park a little.

But the company who should really be shitting themselves as was rightly pointed out earlier is Disney. They've neglected DLP for decades and the Studios Park is only now getting the attention it needs to turn it into a somewhat passable Disney Park. Universal will come in with every intention of outdoing Disney and dragging away their European visitors by being a superior product. Especially with DLP not having the pull the FLorida Parks do, so that Universal is more than capable of eating away at their attendance.

all those claims as being 2nd to Disney
It’s not a “claim”, it’s a fact. Merlin Entertainments are the second biggest operator of themed attractions in the world. No one else has as many parks and midway attractions. Six Flags and Universal are probably next behind Merlin. They never say second in quality or anything, just in size of attractions or guest numbers.

No Merlin resort theme park has a world class theme park closer than a 6 hour drive.

Heide is 4 hours away from Phantasialand and 5 hours from Efteling and Tivoli Gardens. The London parks are about 5 hours by train from DLP, Mirabilandia is about 2 hours from Gardaland

They're not exactly next door to each other, but within that 6 hour range!

It’s not a “claim”, it’s a fact. Merlin Entertainments are the second biggest operator of themed attractions in the world. No one else has as many parks and midway attractions. Six Flags and Universal are probably next behind Merlin. They never say second in quality or anything, just in size of attractions or guest numbers.

That guest number spot might fall to Universal once the numbers for Universal Beijing come in. In 2022 ignoring Beijing, Universal were at 46.5-47million guests, about 8 million behind Merlin and Beijing was rumoured to be around that ballpark for it's opening year. I expect in the coming years Universal will firmly take that #2 spot and if UGB happens Merlin will fall way behind.

Importantly, they are only defined like this by Melin's own definition of what counts as the "biggest operator of themed attractions in the world". I'm pretty certain that all the companies you've mentioned and a couple beside could also claim to be the "second-biggest operator of themed attractions in the world" simply by changing the definition of the words included.

I hadn’t considered how close Center Parcs is.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the future if Universal approached Center Parcs to buy the resort and tie it fully in.

Center Parcs feels much safer than any of the Merlin places imo. Universal is ultimately a theme park, Center Parcs is a forest village for swimming, cycling and sporting activity, i don't think there's much crossover unless Universal build a water park.

There's a chance that as a response to losing custom, Merlin will just cut back on operating costs (staff etc) and other expenditure (rides etc) in order to just maintain profit margin. It's what most companies do these days. It's the easy way. Look at what supermarkets have done since Lidl and Aldi started taking market share. Oh dear, look at this, better fire half our work force and just hope the business carries on limping along and producing profits...
You're not the Director of Strategy for one of the chains are you?😂 Because you've hit the nail on the head there, that's exactly what they've done! Changed strategy very little, cut everything haphazardly beyond the bone, crossed their fingers, and hoped it would all work out well in the end. Foolish, and 2 of those companies are starting to pay a heavy price for it.

And food is a commodity! Theme parks aren't. That seems to be the flaw made in some of these "competition" posts. Theme parks don't necessarily "compete" with other theme parks like Broadband providers, supermarkets, or car insurers. They compete for a very tertiary leisure spend that's far more complex.

The question isn't always "shall I go to Universal Bedford, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Alton Towers, or Thorpe Park?". It's more like "shall I go to Universal Bedford, Disneyland Paris, the Maldives, Safari in Africa, a cruise around the Med, stay at home watching Netflix, work on my memoirs, or rent a Caravan in Cornwall for a week?".

There are benefits that a world class Universal park could bring to the UK theme park industry as a whole. It's not as binary as 6 million visitors to Universal Bedford = 6 million less for all other UK theme park operators. If I was CEO of Merlin Entertainments, I'd be riding off the coat tails of a revitalised interest in the UK theme park industry, positioning the company as a value alternative, strategically making investment decisions on alternative attractions based on what Universal don't have, and keeping a close eye on costs and pricing.

That's basic market positioning. Spending £millions chasing something they'll never achieve and chasing the same custom is absurd. Something many companies in other industries have had to learn the hard way. Ryanair thrive off not being the first class offerings of Virgin Atlantic or Qatar Airways. The Nintendo Switch thrives off not being a PS5 or an Xbox Series X.

If Universal is an iPhone, Merlin would be wise not to spend money trying to become a Windows Phone or BlackBerry Z10. Merlin could start opening Towers beyond 4pm, and they could stop selling inedible burgers, they could start "upping their game". But they could also just not bother and market themselves as a company offering to scratch a revitalised UK theme park itch for a fraction of the price Universal are charging.

Last edited:
If this is very busy, their minds will explode when the construction fences go in.

God rest their souls when the concrete arrives
Feels like they’ve never seen an infrastructure project go full hammer and tongs. Someone should show them the overnight timelapse videos of when old motorway overbridges get demolished and replaced in a night or the cleanup after a chimney demolition etc

Feels like they’ve never seen an infrastructure project go full hammer and tongs. Someone should show them the overnight timelapse videos of when old motorway overbridges get demolished and replaced in a night or the cleanup after a chimney demolition etc

Ah those good old days without all the current planning red tape