• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

I’m a little sceptical of that. Outside of hardcore enthusiasts, how many tourists are going to Disney then travelling several hours or more further to visit Six Flags?

The nearest Six Flags park to Orlando is too far away really to include in a trip. Also it wouldn't be worth it anyway given what's on offer in Orlando.

Alton Towers and Thorpe aren't too far away for it to be included in a trip for Europeans/Americans. The only issue with Alton Towers is you'd probably have to hire a car as public transport isn't the easiest.

Last edited:
Middle Earth

The nearest Six Flags park to Orlando is too far away really to include in a trip. Also it wouldn't be worth it anyway given what's on offer in Orlando.

Alton Towers and Thorpe aren't too far away for it to be included in a trip for Europeans/Americans. The only issue with Alton Towers is you'd probably have to hire a car as public transport isn't the easiest.

I don't think people who visit London from other countries typically hire a car? The US has little public transport so for most people it's a given you'll hire a car but tourists rely on public transport over here.

I also think people overestimate how known the UK theme park brands are. And let's face it, most people are probably coming from countries that have better parks so why are they going to go out of their way to visit ours? The brand value of Disney and Universal are leagues above Merlin. That's why i think 6 Flags is a more apt comparison point, as tourists outside of the US are unlikely to have heard of them. They cater to a domestic market and enthusiasts who care purely about going on rides at a lower price and quality range.

The only realistic exception in my opinion would be Legoland, with it's global brand awareness and relatively convenient location to people visiting the mooted Universal park and London.

Last week I met an American friend, who was visiting London with her family, for a few drinks and to show her some of the more unusual less touristy things. They were getting round town exclusivly by taxi. It had never even occured to them to take public transport.
I swiftly educated her.

Universal are already doing more in less than a year of everyone knowing then these clowns have done in the past 12 years
In the past 12 months (I know you said years, but let's keep it to the same window), off the top of my head, Merlin have (at minimum):
  • Rebuilt Nemesis and rethemed Forbidden Valley
  • Launched Curse at Alton Manor
  • Built Hyperia
  • Built World of Jumanji and Mandrill Mayhem at Chessington
  • Built Minifigure Speedway at Legoland Windsor
  • Taken over operations of Cadbury World and built a new indoor attraction
  • Probably done some other stuff with the Midways but CBA to find out to make my point, so this will suffice
  • Oh, bit of a small one, actually operated theme parks and midways in this country
In the past 12 months, Universal have...
  • Announced that they're thinking about the feasibility of potentially, maybe, building a theme park in the UK at some point, but are also very keen to stress that nothing is guaranteed and they don't really know if, and when, it might probably, not, happen.
It's all very exciting, but I think you're getting a little bit carried away.

In the past 12 months (I know you said years, but let's keep it to the same window), off the top of my head, Merlin have (at minimum):
  • Built Hyperia
  • Probably done some other stuff with the Midways but CBA to find out to make my point, so this will suffice
  • Oh, bit of a small one, actually operated theme parks and midways in this country
  • Announced that they're thinking about the feasibility of potentially, maybe, building a theme park in the UK at some point, but are also very keen to stress that nothing is guaranteed and they don't really know if, and when, it might probably, not, happen.

I think @JT01 may have been referring to the London Resort, not Merlin?

Last week I met an American friend, who was visiting London with her family, for a few drinks and to show her some of the more unusual less touristy things. They were getting round town exclusivly by taxi. It had never even occured to them to take public transport.
I swiftly educated her.

I think most Americans would rather be house bound than risk public transport.

Took the dog for a walk over the site this afternoon and there's a lot of blue, yellow and red flags dotted around all over the theme park plot. It's not much but it's very exciting and as as been said, I have a feeling this is further in the planning than we think.

• Built Hyperia
I was on about London Resort, No idea looking back were I was following that conversation from, and of course I'm not referring to Merlin though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine question as I watch TPW’s summary of the recent updates -

How the heck are a small council like Bedford supposed to be knowledgable and qualified enough to judge on a planning application? I’m sure they’re used to housing developments and the likes, but this is monstrous in comparison.

How the heck are a small council like Bedford supposed to be knowledgable and qualified enough to judge on a planning application? I’m sure they’re used to housing developments and the likes, but this is monstrous in comparison.

It’s likely planning will be decided by the government as opposed to the local council. This is from the FAQs:

IMG_6596.jpeg

Bedford Council and any local residents who try and NIMBY will essentially be a fly on the wall for something of this scale. The government will be absolutely salivating at the prospect of not just a huge employer and money spinner but road and rail upgrades to go along with it. It's like all their Christmases in one go.

Great Crested Newts, bats and archeological remains on the other hand, they can stop it faster than hitting a brick wall.

Interesting little fact about Bedford.....it's got the highest percentage of Italians living there in all of the UK including London. Im sure I read it's even referred to as 'little Italy'

Italian Job and Godfather confirmed then. 😂

The Italians came here en masse to work at the brickworks, and many stayed.

If there's going to be any negativity by locals about this, then we'll hear it this Saturday, as the first session is in Stewartby. I think most of the negativity will be by people from Stewartby, Wootton and Wixams for example, due to how close the proposed site is to those areas and the potential impact. The one a few days after at Bedford college I feel might be more positive. I'm 3 miles away from the south parcel (north parcel is closer), so the perfect distance away I feel. Even as an enthusiast, even I would feel probably a bit anxious if I lived in one of those houses bordering the south parcel in Stewartby. I'll be there on Saturday and very much looking forward to it.