• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

Is it just me who doesn't really want UK IPs? I like the idea of a LOTR and Bond areas, but when I think of Universal, I think of their classic IPs like Jaws, Back to the Future, ET, Classic Monsters, Jurassic Park etc. It's probably because as well that I don't like Doctor Who full stop and don't care for Paddington that much. If they happen, I won't be mad, but my preference would be similar stuff we already have at the other 5 resorts
I'd like a bit of both. Obviously the classic Universal rides would be amazing to see a bit closer to home but we need something to make the park unique too.

Personally I'm not overly fussed about UK IP themed areas as such but individual experiences like a Bond stunt show would be cool. They could feasibly have a studios area which incorporated some individual themed rides or experiences.

Is it just me who doesn't really want UK IPs? I like the idea of a LOTR and Bond areas, but when I think of Universal, I think of their classic IPs like Jaws, Back to the Future, ET, Classic Monsters, Jurassic Park etc. It's probably because as well that I don't like Doctor Who full stop and don't care for Paddington that much. If they happen, I won't be mad, but my preference would be similar stuff we already have at the other 5 resorts

I just don’t see them deviating much from the successful brands they’ve adopted in the rest of their parks, it wouldn’t make sense and would be an added risk.

People are going to want the Universal experience in an accessible location.

I think some unique elements tied in to the UK makes sense but 90% is going to be the existing franchises.

It’s also worth considering they’ll want to keep IP’s very close to their chest until everything is confirmed. Someone pointed out on X that if for example it became “knowledge” that Potter was indeed being excluded, it could only take one of JKRs sycophants to make it a “JKR is being cancelled by Universal” issue and then the whole project could be at risk of falling apart due to the ensuing witch hunt

It’s also worth considering they’ll want to keep IP’s very close to their chest until everything is confirmed. Someone pointed out on X that if for example it became “knowledge” that Potter was indeed being excluded, it could only take one of JKRs sycophants to make it a “JKR is being cancelled by Universal” issue and then the whole project could be at risk of falling apart due to the ensuing witch hunt
I don't think the construction of a major destination theme park would be ended because they got cancelled by someone on Twitter.

It's like getting the Air Tunnel themed because enthusiasts have demanded it on the various forums for the past 22 years...

As others have said I’d like a mix.

A bit like when DLP was built, because there is so much history in the UK, they will have to build something truly extraordinary from a creative perspective, or what I hope, is that it is far more “Americanised” bringing Florida/world class quality to the UK.

Making it head and shoulders above any offerings in the UK.

I’m really hoping for Bond, Classic Monsters, Potter (they have too surely?), Dr Who, Paddington and Jurassic World. And being really greedy a Spiderman recreation.

An excellent city walk and 3 top drawer hotel (value/mid/premium (entrance hotel)) and they’d be on to a winner.

A thought I've been having is that the Lake Zone is going to be a very nature driven area, especially with the Restoration Area taking up so much space - perhaps that could be a home for a LOTR area in the future? Where they can build the LOTR area seamlessly with the RA space, so that it feels bigger and more epic than it would if it was it's own self-contained zone among other zones.

I'd imagine Thorpe Park potentially being one of the the least affected out of the existing UK parks for Universal as it would fill in a similar gap to Six Flags and is very central.
Chessington has it's niche with a family orientated Busch Gardens type park.

I'd be more concerned about Alton Towers. It really needs to up it's game and one thing it really does need to improve is Public Transport links. It hasn't got a regular shuttle bus like Thorpe Park does and I can imagine people (especially international tourists) choosing Universal over Alton Towers as a result of this factor.
Would take something extraordinary to topple Alton Towers. I think they'll be reasonably safe, yes it's in a village but it still has good road links. It being "up north" where you need a car to live a normal life works to it's advantage.
However if they're offering a cleaner more up to date experience then yes they should be worried. Alton Towers is never going to be squeaky clean, it never was and of course us Brits don't like change...

I don’t think it will be a carbon copy of any existing Universal park, there might be some repeated rides or themes but so far Universal seem to not be too repetitive in other parks.

Would definitely welcome some exclusive British stuff that is different to their other parks.

I’m interested to see if they send a survey out for market research to see what lands or areas we’d like to see.

I’m pretty sure we will see the likes of Minions and Dispicable Me aswell as How To Train Your Dragon & Shrek. We may also get a new iteration of the new kids area they’re building in Florida.

I’m wondering how they’re going to do a nighttime show each evening and may rely less on fireworks and more so drones and fountains as they are so close to locals and keep fireworks for special occasions.

I'm hoping for a Johnny English attraction for the bants....

Proud Mr Bean GIF by Working Title

Universal have distributed a fair few British films, but they will need enough of their contemporary IPs to make it the kind of Universal park we all know and love.

Doctor Who is a really problematic IP. In theory it has a lot of potential as a fully immersive dark ride experience. Recreating that "bigger on the inside" moment is a classic illusion trick which would be spectacular.
However the show reinvents itself too often to be a suitable Theme Park IP. Just compare how the show looks now to how it looked 7 years ago. It's completley different. That's the same timegap between now and the park opening. They'd end up with the same problem as Fantastic Beasts, and that's before the show changes again after it opens.
As much as I'd love to see it, there's simply no way a major Theme Park would open an attraction they knowingly have to completely overhaul every 5 years.

It would however make for an amazing show or seasonal event. Imagine if they used it during Halloween as a "Meet the Monsters" Scare Maze light.