• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Project:Fear

Cheers gazza for inside story of the attraction very interesting.

The scare attraction industry as a whole is at the moment at the bottom of a boom period that will get bigger and bigger over the next few years Halloween has now become the second biggest revenue period for cash generated business behind Xmas.

This is why attractions are now becoming a year round thing this year there will be at least one or more attraction running every month of the year ranging in budgets from small to huge we are running a show in 2 weeks in aid of the local hospice on a very small budget and at the same time asmosFEAR are running a I would guess big budget camping attraction both will provide prople a chance to immerse themselves in a fantasy would for small period of time.

As I said earlier in the tread and gazza said too there is plenty of shows for anyone to pick and choose between through the year, from one extreme to another I think is was a brave move for G & G to try and gave people a difference experience.

James said:
The only part that makes me concerned is the scene with the little girl and dad. Now I'm an open minded person with scare attractions but when it comes to kids being used as sexual objects I even think it's going far beyond the boundaries of everything. I felt sickened reading that bit, really not something I'd want to see in any scare maze, however extreme or intense. :|

I felt the same. ???

I don't really know if it's morally right to allow a little girl to be saying such dark things for the purpose of 'entertainment'. I shocks me that incestuous abuse is something they'd include in a scare maze, when in reality it's more likely to offend then offer any scares.

My only concern is that these sorts of experiences open up to younger peopl. We already see the influence of extreme violence from computer games in schools, I would hate for this sort of thing to break through into mainstream.

:)

Guys

Just picking up on a few of the additional points that have been raised since my last post. Just so you all know, the "little girl" is actually 26 years old and has acted in several of our productions and it wasnt open to minors, you had to be over 18 to get in and proof of age was needed for anyone who may have booked and didnt look old enough.

To also ensure no one came into the show who was unaware of what to expect you had to pre-book through the official website, no tickets were available on the door.

Hope that helps you

Gazza
GNG Entertainment

Just as a foot note, 4 of the actors in Project: Fear have previously worked at Alton Towers Scarefest as we demand they have industry experience and know how to act in an attraction professionally

Gazza
GNG Entertainment

DiogoJ42 said:
It was indeed intended to be tongue in cheek. You guys know me... when I want to be nasty you will know about it. ;)
Don't worry Diogo I know when you're being tongue in cheek ;) it's just that everyone seems to be saying it (some more seriously than others) and it has been driving me nuts for the last week. I only mentioned it after your post because I felt like that link needed to be posted, so I brought up my concern at the same time.

Anyway Project Fear: It's not something I'd be interested in but I'm kind of glad these one off events exist because it pushes the limit. It's the type of scare experience that only works because you're physically there and so unique to scare attractions. For that reason it's an interesting idea for someone to try.

I can't see it becoming a part of any mainstream scare event because it has got quite a niche appeal, most guest wouldn't be willing to be pushed that far. But then it was never meant to be mainstream.

Now if you’ll excuse me I was midway through a game of Amnesia ;)

Would someone mind posting the review from TTF onto here please? TTF isn't working on my laptop as its updating? Thanks

Gazza said:
Just picking up on a few of the additional points that have been raised since my last post. Just so you all know, the "little girl" is actually 26 years old and has acted in several of our productions and it wasnt open to minors, you had to be over 18 to get in and proof of age was needed for anyone who may have booked and didnt look old enough.

None of us for a second are suggesting the actors themselves are kids - and I myself expect these types of attractions to be 18+ (as your maze is clearly advertised for adults only). Nice to see you only take on actors with industry experience (something which I suppose is a must for something like this).

However (this is my own opinion), there's going too far then there is going too far. May be it's just me, but the staging of a child/young girl being sexually advantaged I find goes a bit over the line. Yes the maze is extreme, it's intense, it's not recommenced for the faint hearted. I've seen and herd some sick stuff in the past but when it comes to children being used in such a way I freak out, even makes me feel sick. I just don't think that scene in particular is, well, scary. It would just leave me disturbed.

I'm all for social experiments (it's interesting to see how far people can be pushed) although, in my opinion, that scene in particular is something that hits on a real nerve for some people and while the rest of the attraction is intense, I feel the subject of sexually taking advantage of children should have not been included.

All my opinions of course, may be it's a subject I personally find sickening and feel it should not be used as a form of 'extreme' theatre entertainment. But I'll let you be the judge of that.

siralgenon said:
Would someone mind posting the review from TTF onto here please? TTF isn't working on my laptop as its updating? Thanks

Here you go Ryan m'dear:

Mark at TTF said:
Having experienced many scare mazes and attractions around the UK and Europe, I have always expected to see the same thing, as most of these attractions are of a muchness these days.

For example:- Chainsaws don't bother me anymore.

But something seemed different about this particular attraction run by Gary Crompton from GNG Productions of Barnsley. Something I couldn't put my finger on but I knew this would be more of a traditional scare maze especially when images like this below started appearing on their official Facebook page.

59033101.jpg

So off we went, up the M1 2hrs travelling to Sheffield, Hillsborough to be precise to the address given at the time of booking, we arrived to find the place but nobody seemed to be around? - no signs of life or no signs advertising the event - had we been conned? A quick call to Scare Consultant Michael Bolton (no not that one) and we found the entrance into what looked like the entrance to an office complex.

We was handed our contracts to read through and taken upstairs into the bar, which I might add was reasonable! £2.90 for bottle of Bulmers for us southerners is good!

I was last through the show, and obviously the actors hadn't been told and I walked into a room with all the lights on with actors stood around not realising I was last, I was ushered back to the start whilst the show was reset.

Next thing, lights go off and I was asked to commence walking around a blind corner, as soon as I did, I was hooded in a black soaking wet hood and told to "Fuc*ing get in there" and pushed very hard into a room. I was then sat on a stool whilst I was drenched with water and had a wet sponge shoved up inside my hood and down my throat. This was my point of bailing out my heart was pumping and I could hardly breathe. But I had to go on.. my wife had been through and I couldnt bail out.

I was then ordered with the most foul language (F's, C's the lot) and pushed hard around a room, into walls and doors. Next thing I was pushed into a room and had my hood removed inside the room was a little girl the room was covered in toys, prams and a baby chair the girl went on to tell me her uncle sexually abused her on a regular basis and that I should join in with the games, this went on for a while and made me feel slightly uncomfortable to say the least. She then leaves the room after squirting cream onto my face and tells her uncle I am in her room.

Next thing, her uncle turns up with a leather gimp mask, leather pants and a whip and starts telling her he will be back for her later to "Give her some of his squirty cream" I am then ushered into the finale room and in here is various scenes of varying degrees of punishments.

Again hooded, you are pushed around into scenes, firstly being a huge black guy with a gun who really hurt my by grabbing me whilst holding a gun to my head, in front of me lines of cocaine which I am told to take. The hood comes back on and I am took into a room with a bed on the bed is a girl who straddles me and asks me what I would like to do to her. Door swings open and her fella comes in with a baseball bat who then starts to beat her up in front of me and hitting the bed hard with the bat right by my legs.

I am then pulled up and bag comes back on the head to the next scene, I am sat on a chair when the hood comes off there is a strobe light right in front of my face flashing, and a guy in a white mimes mask telling me all sorts of wrongness in my ears. I am then pulled up again into the last scene where I am tied up with ropes made to kneel on the floor and wrapped in a blanket, whilst all this is happening I am being called a C*nt , a Fat F*ck and everything else imaginable. You are then freed by what I think was the police and then pushed out the door into the bar where everyone is waiting.

I might have missed some bits out as I was generally petrified. This is a scare maze/attraction like no other, it pushes the boundaries, crosses the limits and puts an enormous amount of stress on you. Totally worth the £10 ticket and no doubt a strong contender for a screamie award.

It just goes to show, big budgets and highly themed areas are not needed to make something quite awful. And that gore isn't the answer all the time. This might now set a predident to the future of scare attractions.

Awesome effort, the attraction runs till 24th June 2012.

www.projectfear.co.uk

Please guys did you really believe they would use a child actor this is a company that last year won best Halloween attraction 2011, a company that have run pro shows for years and has great respect within the scare attraction industry........regarding the scene as gazza said its theatre so should ever film, play that tackles difficult subject be castigated and band.please for the best explanation of the event and review please all read the link from the premier scare attraction website
http://scaretour.weebly.com/review---project-fear.html

James said:
siralgenon said:

Here you go Ryan m'dear:

Mark at TTF said:
Having experienced many scare mazes and attractions around the UK and Europe, I have always expected to see the same thing, as most of these attractions are of a muchness these days.

But something seemed different about this particular attraction run by Gary Crompton from GNG Productions of Barnsley. Something I couldn't put my finger on but I knew this would be more of a traditional scare maze especially when images like this below started appearing on their official Facebook page.

59033101.jpg

So off we went, up the M1 2hrs travelling to Sheffield, Hillsborough to be precise to the address given at the time of booking, we arrived to find the place but nobody seemed to be around? - no signs of life or no signs advertising the event - had we been conned? A quick call to Scare Consultant Michael Bolton (no not that one) and we found the entrance into what looked like the entrance to an office complex.

We was handed our contracts to read through and taken upstairs into the bar, which I might add was reasonable! £2.90 for bottle of Bulmers for us southerners is good!

I was last through the show, and obviously the actors hadn't been told and I walked into a room with all the lights on with actors stood around not realising I was last, I was ushered back to the start whilst the show was reset.

Next thing, lights go off and I was asked to commence walking around a blind corner, as soon as I did, I was hooded in a black soaking wet hood and told to "Fuc*ing get in there" and pushed very hard into a room. I was then sat on a stool whilst I was drenched with water and had a wet sponge shoved up inside my hood and down my throat. This was my point of bailing out my heart was pumping and I could hardly breathe. But I had to go on.. my wife had been through and I couldnt bail out.

I was then ordered with the most foul language (F's, C's the lot) and pushed hard around a room, into walls and doors. Next thing I was pushed into a room and had my hood removed inside the room was a little girl the room was covered in toys, prams and a baby chair the girl went on to tell me her uncle sexually abused her on a regular basis and that I should join in with the games, this went on for a while and made me feel slightly uncomfortable to say the least. She then leaves the room after squirting cream onto my face and tells her uncle I am in her room.

Next thing, her uncle turns up with a leather gimp mask, leather pants and a whip and starts telling her he will be back for her later to "Give her some of his squirty cream" I am then ushered into the finale room and in here is various scenes of varying degrees of punishments.

Again hooded, you are pushed around into scenes, firstly being a huge black guy with a gun who really hurt my by grabbing me whilst holding a gun to my head, in front of me lines of cocaine which I am told to take. The hood comes back on and I am took into a room with a bed on the bed is a girl who straddles me and asks me what I would like to do to her. Door swings open and her fella comes in with a baseball bat who then starts to beat her up in front of me and hitting the bed hard with the bat right by my legs.

I am then pulled up and bag comes back on the head to the next scene, I am sat on a chair when the hood comes off there is a strobe light right in front of my face flashing, and a guy in a white mimes mask telling me all sorts of wrongness in my ears. I am then pulled up again into the last scene where I am tied up with ropes made to kneel on the floor and wrapped in a blanket, whilst all this is happening I am being called a C*nt , a Fat F*ck and everything else imaginable. You are then freed by what I think was the police and then pushed out the door into the bar where everyone is waiting.

I might have missed some bits out as I was generally petrified. This is a scare maze/attraction like no other, it pushes the boundaries, crosses the limits and puts an enormous amount of stress on you. Totally worth the £10 ticket and no doubt a strong contender for a screamie award.

It just goes to show, big budgets and highly themed areas are not needed to make something quite awful. And that gore isn't the answer all the time. This might now set a predident to the future of scare attractions.

www.projectfear.co.uk

Thanksyou Mr.B

siralgenon said:
James said:
siralgenon said:

Here you go Ryan m'dear:

Mark at TTF said:

59033101.jpg

www.projectfear.co.uk

Thanksyou Mr.B

Read the review I posted On the link above too This is the review from Michael Bolton

I've really enjoyed this discussion and it just goes to prove that no-one is in a position to judge until they have experienced something. We see it all the time on here and other forums with people berating something they have never visited (or have never intended visiting). The show sounds shocking and it was - it was 150% shocking and if you read my review you will see I hated the whole thing (but in a good way) It doesn't mean it was wrong or sick - it just means the clever guys at GNG knew which buttons to press to manipulate us. Despite "hating" the experience I am REALLY glad I made the effort to see it. Last week I saw Frozen in Birmingham starring Toni Griffiths (Esmerelda from Terror of the Towers). The play was about a paedophile and was as equally painful to experience but the rawness and the power behind it makes you think. And sometimes that is what a theatrical piece is about. So why not get off some of those high horses out there and recognise that something very special has happened which is unlikely to be repeated again.

My full review can be found here - http://scaretour.weebly.com/review---project-fear.html

I don't think it's fair to judge either the people who go to and enjoy this sort but equally judging the people who don't want to go or would be offended by it is also wrong.

This sort of attraction was always going to be controversial, the nature of the sexual content even more so. I can entirely understand why people would be uncomfortable with some of the themes, even if they haven't visited it themselves. Having read reviews of the abuse storyline I can safely say I'm glad I decided not to visit.

AstroDan said:
My only concern is that these sorts of experiences open up to younger peopl. We already see the influence of extreme violence from computer games in schools, I would hate for this sort of thing to break through into mainstream.

:)

No... don't have that narrow minded view.

Sorry for being blunt, but it annoys me when someone has that view.

There has been no link in violence in video games affecting violent behaviour in children... in fact many tests have been made to try and prove this and have failed..

I can't explain it as well as I'd want to but I suggest you watch this video from the time I have pasted... there's better videos describing the issue but annoyingly TB does not make it easy to find specific content for the mailbox video he does...

This is the best I have found... enjoy hopefully you will find it interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7jZM6K7 ... age#t=272s

[/end off topic rant]

With the announcement of Project:Fear I was adamant that I would be in attendance. But, work got in the way on the Saturday that I was going to do it and then my finances were a little worse for wear. Fortunately GNG (not GNC Mr Burden) posted a competition and I was awarded one of the five elusive golden tickets to the metaphorical chocolate factory.

Upon arriving with Joel (Who didn't participate... Because he is perfectly sane) there was some ominous music playing which did a very good job of making my all ready nervous body just implode. Although the woman who greeted me and walked me through the contract was awfully nice, and didn't give anything away.

So, after signing the contract I was told to walk down the corridor and knock on the door. First time I knocked (Probably my fault) there was no answer... So after 2-3 minutes passed I knocked again and the door opened very slowly. Unfortunately I saw the actor slip behind the door, and this kind of ruined the effect. I would have loved for the actor to throw the door open and charge at me with the bag. Within a few seconds of the door being open I was bagged with a rather soggy nylon bag... Not the best of feelings, but there was much worse to come.

Scene 1
I was thrown around quite a lot, spun round and very nearly thrown to the ground. Most people would complain about this but I've been hoping for something like this since my first ever scare maze, and GNG executed this superbly. The actor was screaming at me, throwing me around the room and just generally being abusive towards me. With the strong Irish accent thrown in, I felt totally immersed in the whole thing and began to get a little worried about it all. Eventually I was pushed in to a chair and abruptly asked “Who do you work for...” When I didn't reply the character switched sides and screamed in my other ear “Who the f**k do you work for?!” After another blank response from me, the hood was lifted and I had water thrown in my face. I was asked once more “Who the f**k do you work for? Tell me you scrawny little c**t!” And with another blank response (well, there may have been a few coughs and splutters) I was told to lean my head back. I clearly didn't put my head back far enough, and the actor pushed my forehead until my head was lying with my nose slanted up to the corner of the room. After one final question, yet again asking who I was working for, I was just given another (Much larger) dose of water. This time it tipped down my nose and mouth at the same time. There was no escaping it this time. Within 10 seconds I had another larger dose of water. I honestly felt that I was possibly going to drown. After my 30 seconds of coughing and spluttering the actor had got to the end of his tether with me. He pulled me up and told me to put my hands out and gave me a block of wood to hold. I was then given a rather rigorous exercise routine for at least 5 minutes. If you would like to simulate this, soak yourself with cold water, bend your knees and stand on your toes and finally move the block of wood above and below your head whilst keeping your arms straight. Oh yeah, I was gagged at one point... But that's for another time.

By far the worst experience I have ever had in any attraction ever.

Scene 2
I was hooded again and led through a quite small room, but the actor did lots of twists and turns to really disorientate me, and finally told to get on all fours. The bag was removed and there was a girl sat there on her own just drawing and... Well, that was it really. She turned round quite slowly and we had a pretty interesting conversation about “The tickle game” That she played with her father and uncle. She liked it when daddy did it, but it hurt when uncle did it. There was then a rather in depth talk about cream, and I eventually ended up with some squirty cream on my face and arms. When she moved out the way she revealed some more pictures that she had drawn, and a number of these were actually quite disconcerting; most included penis and little girls. Before I knew it, there was a man dressed in full gimp attire behind me (I didn't even hear the door open) And he was up in my face, and I was bagged again. Upon leaving he said to the little girl “If your tits get any bigger I'm trading you in for your younger sister”

By far the creepiest thing I've ever witnessed in any scare maze. I was lead through to the next scene, but this time hearing sounds of screams and general torture. Once I was hit by something in the stomach (I think it was a whip)

Scene 3
In scene 3 I was lead to a drug dealer, on the whole a rather weak scene I found. I was just taunted a little and told to sniff some cocaine, as I leaned towards the cocaine I was pushed back by the barrel of a (blatantly fake, but I can understand why it was fake) gun as the man took a phone call. He told me I was “Lucky to be leaving here alive” and I was hooded and taken away.

The only weak scene in the whole attraction.

Scene 4
In scene 4 I was taken through to a bedroom scene, in which a woman appeared to have no limits. She was next to me, on top of me and just generally being a bit of a tart. And then in came the husband/boyfriend character. Wearing only a towel, which was quickly removed revealing a naked man. Now, considering I am only about 3 foot tall pretty much every body is a hulking beast in comparison to me, but something about a naked dude makes the whole situation seem a lot more real. The bed was hit, near my legs and arms and the bat was pushed into my face a few times. The man then dragged me out of the bed, and unawares I was thrown to the floor. As he was picking me up, my cheek may or may not have brushed past his penis, again making everything feel that bit more real. Once again, I was bagged and told to move along. I say told to move along, I was actually forced to move along.

Scene 5
In scene 5 I was sat in a chair, the hood was lifted and I was shot in the face with a beam of that. With the hood back on, everything was pitch black and I was just following that little thing that floats round your eye... You know what I mean. Suddenly a man was whispering in my ears, switching sides at random, telling me what “Fiddler” Was going to do with me. After about 2 minutes of this, he told me to put my hands out “Together you dumb f**k. What use are you to me if your... F**k” I was then lead round, for a short while and then put on my knees and I had to crawl around the attraction for a short time. I was then lead to the finale, by far one of the best I have ever experienced.

Finale
I really wasn't expecting this. I was insulted for a little bit and then told that “Fiddler” Likes his food in a box and “That's why I've got this.” The man removed my hood and showed me a coffin. “Well... Get in then, we haven't got all day” So when I finally got in to the box, sat up right the actor just screamed at me “What are you stupid? Lie the f**k down!” And on came the lid. About a second later the lid was lifted off and he said “All most forgot, call your mum. Tell her you won't be home for dinner.” And then the lid went on. I was lying in this small coffin for a good thirty seconds before the phone started to ring... A very nice touch which I may or may not be borrowing (stealing) from GNG for a future attraction. On the phone was a police office asking “Where are you?” Oh god. How would I explain this... So: half chuckling, half being terrified that they may drop this coffin I told him “In a coffin...” To which he replied “Right, stay where you are, we're coming to get you.” Then, from outside the coffin I heard gun shots and before I knew it there was a light shining in my face with a man speaking quickly but quite quietly. He said “Come on, get out we don't have much time. Don't look at my face, just get out” He then pushed me towards the exit and threw me out the door.

I was greeted by Joel, Merm (and co.) and the guys from GNG. I sat down with a pint and chilled out after what I had just experienced.

Well played to GNG, they did a superb show and really pushed the boundaries. After speaking to Gary and Gav for a bit, they told me why the scenes were in the order they were and told me a little about the show.

tl;dr
A fantastic show, with only one poor scene and some really intense stuff. I hope GNG go on to do another intense show, even if a total different theme.

To me to pinpoint on one scene out of a play is short sighted it was set to take people personally into situations that you out of your comfort zones ......we all will have seen one or all of the scenes in the last few weeks on tv either on the news, a drama or even more to the point in a soap but the glory is we can just turn it of though mostly we dont or change channel this was like it or not a piece of theatre that brought you out of your arm chair and comfort zone and into a raw live situation and like it or not credit has to be given to the cast and crew for being brave enough to pull it off.....as I have said was not brave enough to go through be can credit the company for producing a original idea .

merm said:
To me to pinpoint on one scene out of a play is short sighted it was set to take people personally into situations that you out of your comfort zones ......we all will have seen one or all of the scenes in the last few weeks on tv either on the news, a drama or even more to the point in a soap but the glory is we can just turn it of though mostly we dont or change channel this was like it or not a piece of theatre that brought you out of your arm chair and comfort zone and into a raw live situation and like it or not credit has to be given to the cast and crew for being brave enough to pull it off.....as I have said was not brave enough to go through be can credit the company for producing a original idea .

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. And it will affect everybody differently... But for me, that scene was just a bit... meh.

Great review Oli cheers .......see you in 2 weeks for our show if you can make back to good old traditional scary tale lol