• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Project:Fear

Fredward said:
AstroDan said:
My only concern is that these sorts of experiences open up to younger peopl. We already see the influence of extreme violence from computer games in schools, I would hate for this sort of thing to break through into mainstream.

:)

No... don't have that narrow minded view.

Sorry for being blunt, but it annoys me when someone has that view.

There has been no link in violence in video games affecting violent behaviour in children... in fact many tests have been made to try and prove this and have failed..

I can't explain it as well as I'd want to but I suggest you watch this video from the time I have pasted... there's better videos describing the issue but annoyingly TB does not make it easy to find specific content for the mailbox video he does...

Just out of curiousness have you ever seen the Ice Bath test? Tell a person they can inflict as much pain as they like on someone by plunging their hand in Ice and time the length to which they force it there.... then give them a violent game to play and repeat the test straight after... often the time doubles.

THAT SAID

Children where never going to be subject to this and the idea of influence starts to fade a bit in adulthood. That said underage incest subject material seems to push a boundary that seems pointless in this setting, it's not scary (just sick) and it isn't really an intelligent way of freaking people out. I don't know if its how sick it makes me feel, just how simplistic a method it uses to make me feel sick that bothers me.

Despite it not being the most scary of scare attractions i suppose my favorite is the original Carnival of Screams as that was intelligent, and i think that's where the likes of James Paulding and John Wardley will always win out. Shame neither of them work at scarefest anymore.

And this isn't a social experiment unless you publish some results

It could not be a social experiment... But an experiment to see how far the can push boundaries and what they can and can't put in an attraction. And with all the controversy that the thread has created we could well be aiding GNG's research.

Oli said:
It could not be a social experiment... But an experiment to see how far the can push boundaries and what they can and can't put in an attraction. And with all the controversy that the thread has created we could well be aiding GNG's research.

I have no issue with aiding research, you could actively torture people and you would get an audience, just go back a few hundred years to see that. This wont aid how far you can push an audience as the only people who would go to such an event would be the most push-able of people.

Other than underage incest i have no issue with this attraction but it just sounds too simplistic (maybe i'm wrong i didn't try it). Give me an intelligent version of this and i will probably change my mind. I want to see people actually take scare-attractions to the next level, not just throw incest and water-boarding at me. Wardley always said scaring and terrorising people is the easiest emotion to play with, i don't fully agree with that but these attractions don't aid that cause