• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Ignorant tossser post incoming.... which part is the orangery? I absolutely love the heritage of this site and would love to know. I've thoroughly enjoyed the restoration work they've done so far (and, it goes without saying, @BarryZola 's video as well).

It's very unlikely, but not impossible, that the Councillors will go against the recommendations of the planning officer so this is very good news. There's a tonne of conditions to comply with but I'd imagine they were expecting this given the site location.

Great that they'll be mandating that the orangery is restored as it's a real state at present.

The Orangery has needed a lot of work for a long time. Glad to hear it'll be getting restored. It was even used as a toilet block around the 1970s (I think). For some reason one entire dome went completely missing. With a bit of luck, they may re-introduce the fountain in front of it too.
If the date of this photo is correct, it was a toilet block as far back as 1952.

13064-0.jpg
Source: https://www.search.staffspasttrack....eID=13064&PageIndex=8&SearchType=2&ThemeID=76

I don't think we'll be seeing anything happening on site until the end of April/early May and even then it'll be mostly above ground clearance work for a while. I'd be very surprised if the park have been sitting on detailed restoration plans for the Orangery and have them ready to submit in the next few weeks and then you've got the archaeological investigation on top of that.

I was originally quite worried that Horizon wouldn't be approved, but am feeling a lot more optimistic now.

I had a strange thought... this will be a very different project to follow, as it will be incredibly hard to get a look at the Project Horizon construction site from any publicly accessible areas by virtue of its location. We certainly won't be getting up close and personal with the construction process as we've been able to for the other recent Towers coasters like Wicker Man.

With that being said, the recent slew of drone footage would suggest that the drive for updates truly knows no bounds, so I could be wrong there!

I had a strange thought... this will be a very different project to follow, as it will be incredibly hard to get a look at the Project Horizon construction site from any publicly accessible areas by virtue of its location. We certainly won't be getting up close and personal with the construction process as we've been able to for the other recent Towers coasters like Wicker Man.

With that being said, the recent slew of drone footage would suggest that the drive for updates truly knows no bounds, so I could be wrong there!

Given the recent drone footage, I very, very much doubt it is going difficult to see how this progresses.

I eat my hat, I was wrong, you all were right (I think). I had my doubts but I am so happy this is probably getting approved.

Last edited: