• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Quick Questions 2013

many years ago during a visit to Alton towers with school. it would be around 1992, 1993 time.

A advert for a camcorder was being filmed, with a bell 206 helicopter parked on the flat grass area in front of the towers. They also filmed on the RMT, rapids and some paths around the towers.

The advert was If I remember correctly for a sharp viewcam.

Does anyone know anything about this, or where i can find a video of the advert.

Dave said:
cotda said:
A couple of quick (and quite silly) questions ;)

1) The 'after ride close' bus, I assume that is still from the park gates?
2) Would I be able to just walk into Flambo's and get a table at around 6pm on a monday? or would I need to book do you think?

Just to be sure ;)

not sure on point one but as for flambos, you need to be a resident of the hotels and its best to book as it does sell out.
Not stictly true. I have eaten here, and the Emperors Grill (temporary restaurant) in an evening after ride close, not being a hotel guest. They ask for a room number, but oblige even if you don't provide one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

a small question? Could be an obvious one but im gonna double check anyway.

Has anyone staying at the chained oak? If so do they let you park the car there, even before they let you check in, if they do, how easy is it too get to the park? I am going late October and don't fancy walking down that country lane in the dark

Here's a question:

When I was there last weekend I used the single rider queues which were great, but certain rides like Nemesis don't say anything about single rider (unless I'm looking with my blind eyes again)?

Can you still do single rider using the fastrack entrance?

I wish I had something witty to say here.....

Slugjc said:
a small question? Could be an obvious one but im gonna double check anyway.

Has anyone staying at the chained oak? If so do they let you park the car there, even before they let you check in, if they do, how easy is it too get to the park? I am going late October and don't fancy walking down that country lane in the dark

No idea if they let you park before check in, best try ringing and asking.

As for walking to the park, it's about 10-15 min no footpath and all up-hill. Not the hardest walk ever but cars do fly past you, make sure you walk on the side of the road traffic is approaching you on.

huzzellio said:
Here's a question:

When I was there last weekend I used the single rider queues which were great, but certain rides like Nemesis don't say anything about single rider (unless I'm looking with my blind eyes again)?

Single rider for nemesis is not very obvious, it's next to the ride exit, there is a set of stairs to the left of the exit. It's great though as its rarely busy.

Oh! I really wanted to go on it too. I only ever get to do Nemesis Inferno. I really want to have go on its big brother. It's been many years since I've ridden the original Nemmie.

Should have looked harder.....

T said:
Dave said:
cotda said:
A couple of quick (and quite silly) questions ;)

1) The 'after ride close' bus, I assume that is still from the park gates?
2) Would I be able to just walk into Flambo's and get a table at around 6pm on a monday? or would I need to book do you think?

Just to be sure ;)

not sure on point one but as for flambos, you need to be a resident of the hotels and its best to book as it does sell out.
Not stictly true. I have eaten here, and the Emperors Grill (temporary restaurant) in an evening after ride close, not being a hotel guest. They ask for a room number, but oblige even if you don't provide one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just to add to this, I've eaten at Secret Garden without being a hotel guest too. I have found though, that the restaurants tend to be busy and we've needed to book in the past. We've just rung up at some point during the day on park and asked for any restaurant.

Yep, also eaten at the restaurants without being a guest. If they can fit you in they will :)

You can actually book online, if you go on the website you can book a table without being a Hotel Guest, it actually states for 'Hotel or Day guests'

huzzellio said:
Here's a question:

As Dave has pointed out Nemesis does have a single rider queue. Just for reference here is a list of all the rides with them and where they are :)

Nemesis - Set of steps next to ride exit.
Nemesis Sub-Terra, Left hand queue as you enter the ride entrance.
Air - Right hand entrance (next to fastrack entrance) near the main entrance.
Oblivion - Left hand side of main entrance, same entrance as fastrack, until you get to the merge point.
The Smiler - Left hand entrance, then left where the queue splits into three.
Rita - Not far from the ride exit, next to Fastrack queue. (No where near main ride entrance!)
TH13TEEN - Right hand entrance, same entrance as Fastrack until you get near merge, then it is the left hand queue.
Sonic Spinball - Right hand entrance.

djtruefitt said:
huzzellio said:
Here's a question:

As Dave has pointed out Nemesis does have a single rider queue. Just for reference here is a list of all the rides with them and where they are :)

Nemesis - Set of steps next to ride exit.
Nemesis Sub-Terra, Left hand queue as you enter the ride entrance.
Air - Right hand entrance (next to fastrack entrance) near the main entrance.
Oblivion - Left hand side of main entrance, same entrance as fastrack, until you get to the merge point.
The Smiler - Left hand entrance, then left where the queue splits into three.
Rita - Not far from the ride exit, next to Fastrack queue. (No where near main ride entrance!)
TH13TEEN - Right hand entrance, same entrance as Fastrack until you get near merge, then it is the left hand queue.
Sonic Spinball - Right hand entrance.

Just to add some more to this...unless the Air queue is beyond 1 hour, never chance the single riders. The last time I went in it, it appeared to just be a pen of people with no recognisable queue. Luckily I knew where the gate onto the station was and quickly got on, but there were people stood on the ops cabin side gate who had no idea where they were supposed to be queuing!

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to ask whether you get a MAP discount on food in the hotel restaurants? If so, is it applied to the full final bill (if there are multiple people) or only to the person who has the MAP?

Alastair said:
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to ask whether you get a MAP discount on food in the hotel restaurants? If so, is it applied to the full final bill (if there are multiple people) or only to the person who has the MAP?

Yes, you do. And it's the whole bill, including alcohol :D

Shan said:
How much spending money should I take for 2 days?

Depends what you intend on buying really?

A typical meal at towers would be between £5-£10 depending where you eat. Of course if you are planning on buying photos these are £8 (but there are deals around), and if you want fastrack, that's between £5-7 per ride (again there are deals around on park). A day drinks cup is a good buy, its £5 per day and you can have unlimited soft drinks all day, if its a nice day then its certainly worth the money!

Hmmm, as DJ says above, depends what you want to buy.

You could get away with:

Midday burger meal : £6.50 (x 2 = £13)
Afternoon bar of chocolate : 90p (x2 = £1.80)
Afternoon coffee : £2.30 (x2 = £4.60)

Total : £19.40 (say £20)

Or you could go for :

All you can eat pizza and pasta buffet : £9.75 (x2 £19.50)
One on ride photo : £8
Small gift(s) : £5-£10
Unlimited drink refil : £5 (x2 £10.00)
Snacks during the day : £3 (x2 £6)

Total : £43.75

Personally, I would aim to take around £50 for the 2 days. You will come back with money, but its nice to have the extra should you wish to buy anything else during the day. But you could scrimp and get by on £20!

Dont forget this doesnt include breakfast, or car parking token!

It's worth a go just to say "I've done it" but that's as far as it goes really. It is (was?) nicely themed although has been left to rot over the years. It's aged with not much care taken afterwards. Just a standard crazy golf course with some nice Alton Towers theming.

I haven't been for two years so it may have had some work done although on the whole I'd say it's down to personal preference. It doesn't take that long to do (can easily do it within an hour or less), it's nicely themed and if you have the money you may as well go for it so you can say in future you did it.

If you want an idea of what it looks like there are heaps of photos around online. TowersStreet has a nice collection of images (including a few of my own pictures #plug :p ). http://www.towersstreet.com/gallery/resort/extraordinary-golf/

Extraordinary Golf, is never open when i pass it. I wonder if they are missing a money making trick by closing before people leave the park at the end of the day.

Is the merchandise in the park any good this year im thinking of the obligatory mugs that I buy when I go each time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.