• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Quick Questions

Any update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s definitely been some work happening on Congo River Rapids, especially around the waterfalls after pictures emerged of scaffolding and building works around this waterfall area.

What we don’t know at this time is what this work is.

At best, it could mean the waterfalls are back along with the choppy waters.

At worst, they could have just been repointing the masonry to stop it falling down.

Any update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Emily, the quick questions topic is intended for speedy answers to questions which people will definitely know the answer to. At present we don't know anything about Congo River Rapids reopening, and this is unlikely to change in the space of a few days since the last time you asked. There are a lot of people who want to see the Rapids return, so if there is any change to what is known about them, this will likely be posted and discussed at length in our 2022 General Discussion topic.

Please don't use this topic, or indeed any other topic to keep asking the same thing again and again every couple of days, as it's considered spamming. We also have a like button underneath each post. If you'd like to thank someone for their post, please just click that button rather than reply solely to say thank you :).

Just booked my first day for 2022 with that being March 28th, can't wait but just a quick question this is my first time with a Merlin annual pass (I went for gold) do I just need to scan my digital/physical pass and I'll get in or do I need the booking confirmation ready too?

Just booked my first day for 2022 with that being March 28th, can't wait but just a quick question this is my first time with a Merlin annual pass (I went for gold) do I just need to scan my digital/physical pass and I'll get in or do I need the booking confirmation ready too?
You can scan your digital or physical pass straight at the turnstiles. They might ask for your pass holder pre booking as well (however once restrictions eased last year I wasn’t asked once at any Merlin park).

^^That was my experience too. Just scan your annual pass at the turnstiles.

Once restrictions eased they didn't look at the booking. My booking just contained the date of visit and there was no barcode to scan.

You can scan your digital or physical pass straight at the turnstiles. They might ask for your pass holder pre booking as well (however once restrictions eased last year I wasn’t asked once at any Merlin park).
Ah okay thought that might be the case just worth asking so we don't have to step aside or hold up the queue if we did

I just realized the fast track vouchers that come with the gold lanyard one is for Thorpe one is for chessington and one is for Alton.
Me and my friends were under the impression that you could use them for any attraction before, I'm guessing you have to use them for where it says to.
Because we don't go to chessington and only Thorpe occasionally.

I just realized the fast track vouchers that come with the gold lanyard one is for Thorpe one is for chessington and one is for Alton.
Me and my friends were under the impression that you could use them for any attraction before, I'm guessing you have to use them for where it says to.
Because we don't go to chessington and only Thorpe occasionally.
I’m sure that’s always been the case for the old fastrack vouchers, I’ve never really used mine as the price of a fastrack for anything decent is higher than the r voucher.

Are you able to book at the rollercoaster restaurant for an evening meal if not staying at any of the onsite hotels?

New to the site - have found it really useful for a number of years tbh. I hope this is the right place in the forums. I'm not lazy (LOL) so I have tried to find the answer for myself - my question relates to the AT annual pass vs Discovery. There is a £30 difference (so for me £60 as x2) - we would mostly be visiting AT on Sundays and we might venture to Thorpe Park once from Manchester, possibly combined with CWOA) - which is the better option (are there tickets you can use eg with AT annual pass to go to TP and CWOA) - wouldn't visit many of the other attractions as my son is 11 (12 in April) so Lego experiences etc not on the cards.

New to the site - have found it really useful for a number of years tbh. I hope this is the right place in the forums. I'm not lazy (LOL) so I have tried to find the answer for myself - my question relates to the AT annual pass vs Discovery. There is a £30 difference (so for me £60 as x2) - we would mostly be visiting AT on Sundays and we might venture to Thorpe Park once from Manchester, possibly combined with CWOA) - which is the better option (are there tickets you can use eg with AT annual pass to go to TP and CWOA) - wouldn't visit many of the other attractions as my son is 11 (12 in April) so Lego experiences etc not on the cards.

Before going for a Discovery pass make sure you study the exclusion dates carefully so you aren’t caught out. They aren’t quite as restrictive as they were when this pass first came out, but they do still exclude many weekend and school holiday dates which might be relevant to you.

With the Alton Towers pass there are no discounts on tickets at other Merlin attractions.

Before going for a Discovery pass make sure you study the exclusion dates carefully so you aren’t caught out. They aren’t quite as restrictive as they were when this pass first came out, but they do still exclude many weekend and school holiday dates which might be relevant to you.

With the Alton Towers pass there are no discounts on tickets at other Merlin attractions.
Thanks - it's not clear what the £15 discounts relate to - but they are just for AT then - was hoping you could use them for the other theme parks. That's a shame but we've been Blackpool pass holders for the past two years and will be looking to visit AT more often now the boy can get on the main rides. Do they ever offer discounts on the other parks as promotions or is it always just exclusively AT access and thats it? If took out an AT pass this year can you "upgrade" it to a Merlin Pass the next year if we wanted - saw a thread on here recently but that seemed to be talking about MAP upgrades?

Welcome! You can view the exclusion dates for the Discovery pass over on the website (scroll down to the types of passes, as the others are there too). The Discovery pass will block you out of a good chunk of Sundays in all honesty. All of April, all of August, most of July and most of September. It's predominately a weekday pass really rather than one for weekend visitors.

The AT pass is purely an Alton Towers pass, so no discounts to other attractions but you do get free parking, 20% discount on hotels, shops, food+beverage and the exclusions are far fewer (generally bank holidays, Fireworks and Halloween weekend). To get the free parking and 20% discount on Merlin passes without hefty exclusion dates, you'd need to jump to the gold pass (another £100 on the Alton pass).

If you're unsure on visiting Chessington and CWOA, I'd probably just go down the route of the Alton pass, then just use buy one get one free vouchers or similar for the southern parks if you do end up visiting. If you're going to be a regular visitor to Towers, the fewer exclusion dates, free parking and discount are too good to turn down for the price of the Alton only pass.

Do they ever offer discounts on the other parks as promotions or is it always just exclusively AT access and thats it? If took out an AT pass this year can you "upgrade" it to a Merlin Pass the next year if we wanted - saw a thread on here recently but that seemed to be talking about MAP upgrades?
Alton only for the Alton pass I'm afraid! They were allowing upgrades at one point, but I'm unsure if that's still a thing this season.

Last edited:
Welcome! You can view the exclusion dates for the Discovery pass over on the website (scroll down to the types of passes, as the others are there too). The Discovery pass will block you out of a good chunk of Sundays in all honesty. All of April, all of August, most of July and most of September. It's predominately a weekday pass really rather than one for weekend visitors.

The AT pass is purely an Alton Towers pass, so no discounts to other attractions but you do get free parking, 20% discount on hotels, shops, food+beverage and the exclusions are far fewer (generally bank holidays, Fireworks and Halloween weekend). To get the free parking and 20% discount on Merlin passes without hefty exclusion dates, you'd need to jump to the gold pass (another £100 on the Alton pass).

If you're unsure on visiting Chessington and CWOA, I'd probably just go down the route of the Alton pass, then just use buy one get one free vouchers or similar for the southern parks if you do end up visiting. If you're going to be a regular visitor to Towers, the fewer exclusion dates, free parking and discount are too good to turn down for the price of the Alton only pass.

Alton only for the Alton pass I'm afraid! They were allowing upgrades at one point, but I'm unsure if that's still a thing this season.
Thanks - that's a great response - it'll be the AT pass then for sure - I'm not too bothered about the other parks and we love AT and iit's not a massive excursion for us