• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Quick Questions

Is smiler really running that bad this year? Seen people come off with bruises and describe it as a shopping trolley!

Shame since it’s one of my favourites
I’ve had variable rides on it this year. Some have been rougher than others, but I’d say they’ve all been some degree of rough. I wouldn’t say I’ve ever had bruises from Smiler, though; I’ve done rougher rides (Colossus and a number of rides from Blackpool say hi)

I’d say my rides this year have been a touch worse than my rides last year were on average, but that could be caused by the fact that I’ve always been sat on an outer seat due to using the SRQ.
No. No it's not. Some people are just snow flakes. They think smiler is rough then they've never been to blackpool
I don’t think it’s entirely fair to dismiss other people as “snowflakes” when this is entirely a matter of opinion, and the ride itself also varies based in when you strike it, what train you’re on, what row you’re on etc.

I’ve been to Blackpool, and I would personally say that Smiler is fairly rough, from my experience. Not as rough as some of the rides in Blackpool, but I would say it is rough. I can see why someone would find Smiler less pleasant than something like Grand National, though; even though I’d consider Nash a lot rougher than Smiler, it doesn’t really bash your head, whereas Smiler bashes your head a fair amount if you’re on a bad train, which only really happens on Infusion over at Blackpool.

Besides, this is all a matter of opinion; for every person that finds Smiler to be the roughest ride in the world, there will be another who finds it smooth!

Is smiler really running that bad this year? Seen people come off with bruises and describe it as a shopping trolley!

Shame since it’s one of my favourites

Yes, it can be.

I had a ride on it in May that was horrendous, it was awful and felt as though the car was running with square wheels. It was genuinely the roughest ride that I’ve ever had on a coaster and I actually felt somewhat concussed coming off of it, it was absolutely brutal and pounding, a very unpleasant experience.

But strangely enough I went back on it the next day to see if that was just a one-off and it was running fine. My theory is that perhaps there is one particular car that is giving these atrocious rides at times.

Out of around 18 to 20 rides I've had on smiler this year not had a rough one yet, going back in 2 weeks so hopefully will be running well then too.

I've had bruised shoulders on it the one time last year the ride op stapled me when he pushed really hard for no reason and my shoulders felt every single jolt I am 6'6 which definitely didn't help.

Other than that never had any complaints from me, there's the 2 jolts on the ride we all know about and as long as I'm properly braced I get no issues and I absolutely love the ride anyway.

I find leaning forwards helps because then it's not my shoulders taking the impact but each to their own.

You had the worst ride of your life...horrendous/brutal/pounding/unpleasant/atrocious/concussion.
"Strangely enough I want back on it the next day"...
Proper bloody enthusiast, beaten rotten, then goes running back for more.

Exactly, I was curious to find out if the awful ride was just a one-off or whether that’s just how it was running for the 2022 season. I think as well there’s an element of wanting to get back in to the saddle and I’m glad I did, would have been a pity if that tremendously rough ride had put me off of the ride for good.

On park tomorrow, do you reckon it will be busy? it is forecasting some rain so i’m not sure whetehr getting fastrack will be necessary to get a few extra rides in opposed to 1 ride on each coaster

Does anyone know if Alton Towers stagger release of hotel rooms? Do they make rooms available after a certain point of the calendar(to encourage people to make bookings as they appear scarce maybe)?

I recall looking for rooms on the resort end of 2021 for April 2022 and they had very limited choices only for then when we got to April 2022, loads of rooms became available to book.

Or are they limiting rooms based on potential staff shortages or visitor numbers, to cut costs.

Example: the last week of September 2022 currently shows the Alton Towers hotel totally sold out and other onsite hotels are limited but the week before, all hotels are showing rooms. It's Oktoberfest during both of those weeks so can't see that accounting for it, unless the end of September is just some randomly busy period for going Alton Towers and staying at the resort? But as it's still in school term times, not sure if that's the case.

Does anyone know if Alton Towers stagger release of hotel rooms? Do they make rooms available after a certain point of the calendar(to encourage people to make bookings as they appear scarce maybe)?

I recall looking for rooms on the resort end of 2021 for April 2022 and they had very limited choices only for then when we got to April 2022, loads of rooms became available to book.

Or are they limiting rooms based on potential staff shortages or visitor numbers, to cut costs.

Example: the last week of September 2022 currently shows the Alton Towers hotel totally sold out and other onsite hotels are limited but the week before, all hotels are showing rooms. It's Oktoberfest during both of those weeks so can't see that accounting for it, unless the end of September is just some randomly busy period for going Alton Towers and staying at the resort? But as it's still in school term times, not sure if that's the case.

It’s also possible there is a big event in the conference centre and the ATH rooms have been reserved for the conference.

Do you guys and girls ever do any group days out? Looking to make new friends / get a bit more involved in the community.
There are official meets every so often 🙂

There are official meets every so often 🙂

Cheers! Will keep my eye out. Be nice to do a bit more than I currently manage with like-minded folk.

I was looking at going this day as it's one of my kids training days, but noticed it was a Scarefest dat. Does that mean it will be rammed even if it's a Friday in term time?

Been to AT most years for the last 25, but have never been to a Scarefest day

It will be busy but I suspect any extra busy-ness from Scarefest will be cancelled out because it's a term time day (even if there are various school inset days). I've done Saturday and Sunday Scarefests (including the first weekend of half term), and it really isn't too bad, as long as you plan your day carefully. Generally Sundays will always be the quieter day on a weekend, so that's an alternative if you wanted to not do the Friday.

Last edited:
A lot of people (myself included) don't even bother turning up until well after midday for Scarefest anyway as they're there for the darker atmosphere and rides. The mornings should be quieter.

A lot of people (myself included) don't even bother turning up until well after midday for Scarefest anyway as they're there for the darker atmosphere and rides. The mornings should be quieter.
Yeah I always aim for 11 at Scarefest. Later start is useful for the later finish.

Lightopia - can someone help? It's re booking tickets for Lightopia and the park for December for a family of 4. I can book access for the 2 passholders to the park which is free. Is there a Friends and family option for the park in December? Is there a discount for pass holders for pass holders for Lightopia?