• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Quick Questions

I’ve just seen a video of Ilkeston fair and noticed that the Xtreme has 6 arms unlike Spinjam which had 4. Are they both the same ride cycle or is the one with more arms different? I’m also surprised Towers went with Spinjam if they could’ve got the same ride with higher capacity because 2 arms is 12 people and that’s quite a difference

I’ve just seen a video of Ilkeston fair and noticed that the Xtreme has 6 arms unlike Spinjam which had 4. Are they both the same ride cycle or is the one with more arms different? I’m also surprised Towers went with Spinjam if they could’ve got the same ride with higher capacity because 2 arms is 12 people and that’s quite a difference
It could've been something to do with more power required by bigger model? Perhaps they were limited by the mains power available to the Spinjam site.

after a quick look ignoring the ultimate, since that is closed I think it is the smiler at 2:45.
(I con is close with 2:41, vampire is also close with2:30)

after a quick look ignoring the ultimate, since that is closed I think it is the smiler at 2:45.
(I con is close with 2:41, vampire is also close with2:30)
I think by ride time @Bowser probably meant the thrilling part of the ride. Oblivion is over a minute long but most of that is the lift hill

I imagine The Big One would probably be in with a shout; I once timed the thrilling body of that ride experience (i.e. dropping off the lift hill to hitting the final brake run) at about 90 seconds in length!

The Big One is the UK’s longest coaster (and indeed Europe’s longest coaster) in terms of track length, with 5,497ft of track, but it’s no short ride in terms of duration either despite its tall height!
EDIT - I decided to time the “thrilling body” (from top of lift hill to hitting the final brake run, excluding parts like mid-ride lift hills) of a few of the previously suggested contenders alongside The Big One, and the results were as follows:
  • The Smiler: 1m 9s (including indoor inversion)
  • Icon: 1m 11s (including launches)
  • Vampire: 1m 5s
  • The Big One: 1m 15s
So of the rides suggested in the thread, The Big One is the longest.

Last edited:
I imagine The Big One would probably be in with a shout; I once timed the thrilling body of that ride experience (i.e. dropping off the lift hill to hitting the final brake run) at about 90 seconds in length!

The Big One is the UK’s longest coaster (and indeed Europe’s longest coaster) in terms of track length, with 5,497ft of track, but it’s no short ride in terms of duration either despite its tall height!
EDIT - I decided to time the “thrilling body” (from top of lift hill to hitting the final brake run, excluding parts like mid-ride lift hills) of a few of the previously suggested contenders alongside The Big One, and the results were as follows:
  • The Smiler: 1m 9s (including indoor inversion)
  • Icon: 1m 11s (including launches)
  • Vampire: 1m 5s
  • The Big One: 1m 15s
So of the rides suggested in the thread, The Big One is the longest.

The thrilling body of the Big One is 6.8 seconds.

Crest lift hill, drop 200ft, pull up into first hill, snooze…

The thrilling body of the Big One is 6.8 seconds.
Surely anything between the top of the lift hill and brake run can be considered the “thrilling body”, no?

The quality of said thrills is up for debate, but anything between the top of the lift hill and the brake run is part of the thrilling part of the ride, isn’t it?

Surely anything between the top of the lift hill and brake run can be considered the “thrilling body”, no?

The quality of said thrills is up for debate, but anything between the top of the lift hill and the brake run is part of the thrilling part of the ride, isn’t it?

Personally after the first drop I class Big One as a transport ride 😜

Personally after the first drop I class Big One as a transport ride 😜
This is true. Big one is a perfect example of height not making a ride better. It might be in contention for the most boring thrill ride in the UK and given the competition that Towers provides with Th13teen and Galactica thats impressive

I think by ride time @Bowser probably meant the thrilling part of the ride. Oblivion is over a minute long but most of that is the lift hill

No I’d include all aspects from leaving the station to arriving back. Climbing a lift hill is building suspense and providing views so an important part of the ride experience imo. Even going back into the station is a moment to process and recombobulate.

In that case I would throw Hyperia in the mix and its interminable crawl through the brake run back into the station. Anyone timed that recently?

Why (and when) did Spinball and Dragons Fury implement the reduced car capacity? They’re both 3 adults max I believe.
I rode Spinball last Scarefest with four adults in one car, so if that's true it will have been this season.