• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Quick Questions

Just started a personal project on AT history and I'm running into conflicting sources already! So I wanted to ask when The Flume first opened was it called the White Water Flume or the Wild Water Flume? And did the alpine bobsleigh open in 1979 or 1980? Thanks in advance! (and expect me to be in this thread with question pretty frequently)

Just started a personal project on AT history and I'm running into conflicting sources already! So I wanted to ask when The Flume first opened was it called the White Water Flume or the Wild Water Flume? And did the alpine bobsleigh open in 1979 or 1980? Thanks in advance! (and expect me to be in this thread with question pretty frequently)
According to Towers Street ride register it was called simply the Flume. I'd say thats fairly reliable and I'm pretty sure it was personally (from what I understand anyway).
Picture:

Link to page: https://towersstreet.com/history/past-rides/

According to Towers Street ride register it was called simply the Flume. I'd say thats fairly reliable and I'm pretty sure it was personally (from what I understand anyway).
Picture:

Link to page: https://towersstreet.com/history/past-rides/
The Flume was its final name, not it's first one. I only know it as The Log Flume from my childhood memories, but White Water Flume does ring a bell for some reason.

For the flume, you're best just checking the map for its opening year. If it says the Log Flume then that's what it was called. I seem to remember the rapids being described as the white water rapids at times but I doubt that was the official name. The maps will be in the archive parts of the website of forums like this.

@Heidi Have you read Tales From The Towers? I’m reading it at the moment and it’s an absolute gem for historical info. It’s definitely worth a read!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Towers-Unofficial-Britains-Popular/dp/1492377163/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=WPC5234UC0OL&keywords=alton+towers+book&qid=1637480644&sprefix=alton+towers+book,aps,64&sr=8-2
I've not but I'll definitely be buying that in the future! It looks like it would very helpful with what I'm doing.

Thanks everyone for the info on The Flume, does anyone know about when the Alpine Bobsleigh opened?

I've not but I'll definitely be buying that in the future! It looks like it would very helpful with what I'm doing.

Thanks everyone for the info on The Flume, does anyone know about when the Alpine Bobsleigh opened?

@JAperson already posted it, but the Ride Register is your friend as it includes opening and closures dates for all rides, along with a link to the attraction page if available :)

Those are both quite interesting questions, one of which has a more straightforward answer than the other.

The Alpine Bobsleigh opened in August 1979. You'll often see it referred to as a 1980 opening, as that's the first time it appeared on maps, etc. but there are written accounts from 1979 which mention that it had opened in August that year.

The Log Flume was originally known as the Wild Water Flume, but started to be referred to as Log Flume around 1983, but there was a period where the two names were used interchangeably (the sign at the entrance the ride referred to it as the Wild Water Flume until at least 1984).

I'm pretty certain I have seen it referred to as the White Water Flume (quite possibly in an offical park publication) but I'm almost certain any reference to that name is mistaken - this was reasonably common at the time, rides were often mislabeled in park maps and alike..

It's a good read, I was able to get it on my Kindle. Lots of interesting stuff about the history of the estate and the Earls of Shrewsbury as well if that interests you. Not sure it goes into encyclopaedic levels of detail if you're after that kind of resource tho.

I've booked the Lightopia thing for this weekend for £20 & have printed off the ticket for this. I've also booked my car parking ticket for free using my annual pass & printed that off.

Do I need anything else to get into the Xmas market earlier in the day before my Lightopia thing? Or does that car parking ticket thing act as the Xmas market ticket too? Or are they just letting people walk into the market without tickets? So many questions, I know! Thanks :)

I've booked the Lightopia thing for this weekend for £20 & have printed off the ticket for this. I've also booked my car parking ticket for free using my annual pass & printed that off.

Do I need anything else to get into the Xmas market earlier in the day before my Lightopia thing? Or does that car parking ticket thing act as the Xmas market ticket too? Or are they just letting people walk into the market without tickets? So many questions, I know! Thanks :)

The Lightopia ticket is for “Lightopia and Christmas Market” so no need for a separate ticket as your Lightopia one covers your market entry. They’ve really confused things a little too much on this winter opening in all honesty, hoping it hasn’t put people off!

The Lightopia ticket covers the entry for the Christmas Market, but the time slot allocation is for the actual Lightopia walk itself. I enquired earlier today as I intend to arrive mid-afternoon on Saturday, before doing Lightopia around half 5.

Not sure if I'm allowed to ask non AT questions on here but I'm off to Blackpool Saturday, last bit of holiday before I'm enslaved by Christmas trade.

Anyone know how busy these winter weekends have been so far? I normally don't touch any kind of park on weekend days, can't remember the last time I visited such a place on a Saturday, but thought I'd give this a bash in the hope it would be quietish?

Heavy winds are forecast. How does this effect Blackpool's attractions? I'm presuming Big One will be out of the question?