• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Red Dwarf

Rocket

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Wickerman
Since the new series of Red Dwarf (X) just started. I thought there is a definitely needed topic on TST.
Post your thoughts,reviews and ideas about this purely epic TV show :)

Red Dwarf! :D

I can never get enough of it! Seriously, after that stupid 'Back to Earth' special, I'm very happy for what we have witness on Dave, (not Mr Dave Lister but the channel. ;) )

I'm not a smegger (or whatever a Red Dwarf fanboy is called) - but I did find the opening episode of the series to be utterly hilarious. The running sub-plot of being held on the telephone line was the funniest part for myself, however the whole family did seem to find other bits just as good too.

One thing that seemed a bit pushed was the laughter audio, however I'm not sure if it was canned or a live audience. Either way, the reboot has quite abit of potential. :)

So it's not a blasphemous, offensively crap rip-off of the original, but actually good?

I could not be happier to hear it's everything Back To Earth wasn't. I'll be sure to catch up on tonight's.

I've been a massive RD fan ever since Psirens first aired in '93. I spent most of my teenage years obsessively quoting whole episodes with my mates. In year 9, we performed Justice in drama (just watching that on Dave now, actually)... I played Kryten. I can still quote his long courtroom scene. I own all the books (including novels, scripts, biogs, and random unrelated comedy by the cast and writers). I have all the DVDs, including both original and remastered Series I - III. I've got rid of all the VHS tapes now, except Smeg Ups and Smeg Outs. I've never met anyone yet who can beat me in a "quote off". I have the DVD game "Beat The Geek". I've worked in TV for almost 12 years, met thousands of famous people, yet only been "star struck" twice... one of those times was when Craig Charles walked past me. And our mutual love of 'Dwarf is one of the things that brought me and Kelpie together.

... So It's fair to say I'm a big fan. :p

Like most people, I was very disapointed with Back To Earth. I feared the worst when I heard about Series X. But Trojan was a brilliant episode. It felt like classic Series V / VI style Dwarf, as if the abominations of Series VII / VIII and BTE never happened.

I've still got a massive grin on my face. I've litterally waited half my life to see a good new episode of 'Dwarf. It was worth the wait.

Edit to add:

Adam James said:
One thing that seemed a bit pushed was the laughter audio, however I'm not sure if it was canned or a live audience. Either way, the reboot has quite abit of potential. :)
This series was shot with a live audience, probably composed entierly of geeky fans, so the laughs were real. (Even when it wasn't in Series VII, they still showed the edited episodes to an audience and recorded their reaction, but of course, the cast couldn't react to them).

But you are right, the level of the laugh track seemed rather high. Maybe that is just a reflection on how hard the audience was laughing? :p

The longest ever laugh in the show was in Polymorph, when Rimmer walked in on Kryten helping Lister remove his "boxers".
Rimmer's line,
"Well I can't say I'm totally shocked. You'll bonk anything, won't you Lister?"
has a huge pause after "shocked", where Barrie had to wait for the laughter to die down to finish his line.

I'm endlessly pleased that it was actually good. The Back to Earth special was unfortunately rubbish but this felt like a proper episode of Dwarf, which was always going to be a big ask given how fondly most of us feel about the original episodes. Looking forward to next week!

Where do you even begin?

Fantastic set design, episode long running gags, the legendary cast chemistry there in spades, the comedy timing the cast perfected way back when with the help of an actual studio audience, the theme music untouched and (unless my ears deceived me) even a sad version of the Rimmer song and uninterrupted full screen credits.

Commission another 10 series right now.

true Red Dwarf fans are called Dwarfers, or if you want to upset or belittle one call them a smeggie. as it the worst of the original names for RD fans.

Diogo I bet you are a member of the Fan Club, and been to one of the legendary Dimension jumps (fan get together).

I am also a Big RD fan, with the VHS tapes, signed smeg ups, all the dvds, etc.

right now to the show. It was really up the scale for writing, a really enjoyable episode. there was a moment where i thought negidrive when they were talking about resentment drain, but this parallel is in my mind a coincidences that did not affect the plot, but in some ways made it better.

Moose.

Actually, I'm not in the fan club, and I've never been to a Dimension Jump. *hangs head in shame*

Though both me and kelpie had the 1996 Red Dwarf diary, if that helps?

I, honest to smeg, loved it. It felt like a proper Red Dwarf episode; Great writing and plot, brilliant set, wonderful cast all back together (bar Holly :(), utterly hilarious. The running gags and brick jokes in particular were great!

Looking very forward to the next episode!

I was expecting it to be better than Back to Earth, and it was. However, I wasn't really expecting it to be to the standard of the original series of Red Dwarf episodes. I was so pleasantly surprised! My flatmates and I loved it. Definitely worth waiting ages for, and I'm really looking forward to next week! :D

I just hope the standard stays this high for the rest of the series.

Acording to Robert's blog, there are no plans for another series, but the episodes of Series X are named thus:

1 - Trojan
2 - Fathers and Suns
3 - Lemons
4 - Entangled
5 - Dear Dave
6 - The Beginning

Now, given that the first ever episode was called The End, do we think that The Beginning could be a final farewell episode?

That's a good point you have there diogo, maybe they will finish on a bang, give red dwarf the ending it deserves.

If the viewing figures continue at the level of last night there will almost certainly be at least 1 more series.

I loved it! Trojan had a feel about it that reminded me of the likes of series 3/4/5/6, the golden years of Dwarf IMO. I thought Danny John Jules particularly was on top form.

I really hope the rest of the series is up to the same standard.

I don't have my TV set up to an aerial in my house, so I missed this. I'm actually shocked that people are saying its GOOD, all too often whenever an old show is bought back its slated to hell. I'm also one of the few people who didn't mind Back To Earth, it wasn't brilliant by any means but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as most people made it out to be.