• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Resort niggles

Ben

TS Founding Member
Favourite Ride
Your Dad
While at the hotels with our lovely community I had quite a few little niggles with the resort side of our beloved AT.
Nothing serious enough for me to make an actual complaint about, but enough to put a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, and I certainly wasnt the only one.

Dragon Bar - 11pm
Heaven have mercy if you are sat in Dragon Bar at 11pm. With no prior warning, the staff practically run out from behind the bar, close the doors and then usher everyone out. They werent even polite about it - it was very clear we were (as paying customers) in their way.
I suspect if you were still in there at 11.03 you'd have to get security to rescue you from a darkened locked up bar.

I dont understand the business logic, you have paying guests using the service and obviously choosing that venue - so to herd them out is poor for guest satisfaction. Its clearly due to staffing costs but surely going down to just 2 staff at 11 if needed would be a better solution?

Secret Garden Menu
Oh look, the spring summer menu will soon have been a wonderful printing investment having lasted a whole year! Aside from Scarefest special menu, there has been no change to SGR for ALL of 2012 and now early 2013.

Its also abit bizarre to have more starter options than you do main options. The menu needs an overhaul, and frequent changes to keep it interesting - using seasonal ingredients. Just give it something more interesting than: burger, steak, chicken breast or a veggie option.

Splash Landings Paint
Remember when Splash Landings was themed to a Caribbean village, with washed out pinks, yellows, light blues and all seemed sun bleached and authentic.
Now its bright primary colours as far as the eye can see, and suddenly VERY cartoon-esque. Doors have pretend wooden boards painted on them, silly pineapples painted on reception and just awful decoration left right and centre.

I cant believe how bad it really looks, like a child was given 3 paint pots and one brush and told to go mad. I don't know whos been doing the painting, but they need to stop now. Im all for upkeep but nasty brash non-sensical decoration - NO. STAHP. SPLASH. STAHP.

Also if anyone else spotted the bit of corridor near the sky walk where they have attempted to paint wallpaper and then it 'splitting' to other paint - did it not make you want to sob it was that badly done?

Margs Security
While Im aware we were a rather large group in Margs on Sat night, I dont think a large group of people singing show tunes in the bar is going to be a large issue.
So to have 3 security guards staring at us didnt make for a nice environment at all. I felt like a naughty child having the teacher watching me, not an adult having a drink in a weekend billed to be about having fun in the caribbean hotel etc.

I cannot believe how were were literally booted out of Dragon Bar bang on 11, very rude!

I also wasn't a fan of how some people were refused drinks and others weren't in Ma's on Saturday night. No-one was getting nasty, the atmosphere was very friendly and fun, and they just seemed to want to kill that.

A main niggle of mine is just the slowness of the bar staff at both hotels; I watched Dar walk to the bar to order TWO DRINKS, and it took him no less than 10 minutes to get served when he was maybe 2nd in the queue. Not really on, it's such a pain!

The kick out of dragon bar was weird, but the next night they stopped people coming in and served the remaining customers.

Some of the operations were strange I agree :p

They are not acceptable service standards anywhere, from your local boozer, to a posh city centre bar/restaurant. That is a result of exceptionally poor top down management, awful training, and a general level of attitude towards guests.

I know you lot think of me as a bit of a "done this done that" chap - but honestly, I'd have torn their supervisor a proverbial new one on all your behalves for that. That kind of service resulted in one thing where I worked - the boot!! In a hotel charging premium prices, it is preposterous.

When you are in the service industry, your main concern is the happiness of your guests, ok behind the scenes you take the pee out of the pain in the ass guests who just moan for the sake of it - it happens everywhere - but the majority of decent punters, should be treated like each is the most important customer in the world, because each one at that moment in time IS the most important customer in the world to you.

I have done local boozers, right through to award winning silver service - I'll prove it with a bottle of champers if any of you want to buy one hahaha ;D

Sounds like poor attitude, poor training, and poor service implementation - if you are watching this anyone from the hotel, feel free to call me in to train your staff, sounds like you need help!

Only having this conversation the other day about how having done so much service industry, makes you notice everything in these situations - what you described would have driven me mad haha! ;D

Ben - get a letter in or it wont improve for anyone.

The bar's have always been terribly slow. The stuff are trained well and pour drinks very well - but this causes queues and delays when people actually want drinks.

Although I haven't seen most of the Slpash repaint in person, I have to agree that it looks awful. The new lift doors and other new painting looks terrible. Like it has been done on the cheap by somebody who isn't all that skilled. That may sound harsh but a lot of the new work just isn't as subtle as the old and looks very low-quality and disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Oh Another one...

Hooooussseee Keeeping
Oh my god! Its 9 in the morning, get the hell out of my room. Check out is not while 10, meaning Im going to be in the room I've paid for until that time.

I do not want cleaners wandering into the room twice in under 20mins to see if I've left yet. If you want us out for 9 change the check-out time. I was really angry at this one, hilariously heard him going down the corridoor getting no-where too. Logic domestic services, your guests might still be sleeping in that room they have paid for, in the morning before they check out.

Consuela from Family Guy

I think they need someone making cocktails and then two people just doing general drinks orders. This way, a simple pint can get done within seconds and people wanting the more advanced cocktails wait a bit longer but have a designated barmaid to do that job.

As for kicking out time, even in your bog standard pub, they will call time at 11pm, but still let you stay in, with no real sense of rush for about an hour afterwards.

In terms of the painting, yes some of it isn't great. However they did repaint the banisters on the stairs leading down from reception to the new coffee shop and they did a brilliant job there. So it is a bit of both in that respect.

As for the bars though, well the service at Dragon Bar is always horrendously slow, I hate to be there for too long as it takes an age to get a drink. And I have only seen Captain’s Bar open once in the past couple of years, when Dragon Bar was closed anyway.

The staff at Margs seem to be getting considerably worse in terms of service also. Some of the service I've had there in the last year has been poor. In November last year I ordered myself a pitcher as it is about 4 drinks worth but cheaper than ordering 4 drinks, something I would have done anyway. I was basically interrogated by the woman behind the bar for doing this as she seemed amendment that the drink was not just for me. Not what you expect really. It's a shame as the staff working at Margs in 2010 were on the whole great!

:)

I also find the bars frankly shocking! It is incredibly slow service and just not at all what you would expect for, a) The Price you are paying, and b) What is supposedly the UK's number one Theme Park Resort!

Now, Dragon bar, I can just about cope with, slow it may be, but the staff in there are great, they are chatty and often have a good conversation with you while they make your drinks! It's a great atmosphere and makes the slow service much more bearable! But I do not agree with the 11pm and you're out policy!

However, Marg's, is an ENTIRELY different story! As Rob has said, back in 2010, the atmosphere in that bar was amazing, the night was always a good one, with some of the best staff I have ever seen on resort! Fast forward 3 years however, and the service we experienced on Saturday night was frankly shocking!! I mean, really, down right unpleasant in places!

Granted, I will admit the group was loud... But really, it is a bar, serving alcohol, and the loudness was in no way shape or form violent, abusive or intimidating! It was gone 11pm, there were no children in the bar at all, in fact, apart from ourselves there were only 3 or so other groups in the bar, all drinking, all merry, so it really shouldn't have been a problem! At the end of the day (no pun intended) all we were doing was singing songs from Les Mis and a range of other musicals, this is in no way offensive or abusive and the other groups in the bar seemed to be finding it highly amusing! The bar staff on the other-hand took a severe dislike to it, calling over 3 members of security to stand over and watch us like hawks!

Following this, similar to Rob's interrogation in November, when I went to get a drink I was asked very rudely which group I was with and was informed that I was not allowed another drink due to the group I was with and our 'Intimidating' behavior! There are a few particular members of staff that work in that bar recently that have a shocking attitude and always have, no matter what time of night or what you order, they never fail to be down right rude! This is now really starting to get to me as it spoils the night every time, and if it happens again, I am feeling the need to get names and make a proper complaint!

We shall see all in good time I guess!

#Endrant

Apologies, that was far more of a massive rant than a niggle :p

I know this is not the impression any want to have of the resort. If you are noticing this, others will be too, and that is a shame.

Anyway I haven't experienced the resort myself, so I wont be giving opinions I don't have - but that does seem pretty poor service for a hotel of this supposed standard. Unlike completely reworking an area though, it is easy to fix at least, just sounds like it needs a change of attitude towards customers or staffing.

That's another point, I think it was last February where I was almost refused a drink merely because of the group I was with. Funnily enough it was the same woman that always seems to be rude, unfair and generally awful. I got served in the end after explaining that all we had been doing was dancing and whatnot which is to be expected when they have a jukebox where you can pick your own songs. It is not what you expect. If I get more of the same in March then they can expect a formal complaint.

:)

Away from the bars, I still don't understand closing the water park at 6pm. Especially during a weekend billed as Caribbean! I saw many people looking in and commenting after it had closed.

The hotels have just bombed since they first opened. Everything from the quality and selection of food served, the service in the bars, the physical appearance of the hotels themselves, opening hours, entertainment offfered and the number of perks given is the worst its ever been. I always enjoy staying there but can't help but feel it used to be better.

Yes at times it appears to have improved somewhat due to new management or whatever but the overall trend seems to be downward.

Personally I'm appalled by the lack of biscuits! There used to be 4 packets of biscuits on the desk and now there are only two! Show the biccies some respect! :(

Rowe said:
Personally I'm appalled by the lack of biscuits! There used to be 4 packets of biscuits on the desk and now there are only two! Show the biccies some respect! :(
They used to give out trial freebies as part of promotions with people like Fox's - they're also good at not re-filling them if you stay for more than 1 night...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Oh no they were really nice about that, the Housekeeping woman let us take as many as we wanted, in fact, for our second night! :)

I always thought Dragon Bar closed its doors at 12 which is why I was very bemused over the weekend at the 11pm closings, but the Marg's security situation was unacceptable when the group was behaving perfectly fine, personally felt very intimidated.

That said overall Resort staff were fabulous over the weekend, certainly all experience of waiters, housekeeping and reception staff was extremely positive, and my initial visit to the Spa was excellent :D

CoasterCrazyChris said:
The hotels have just bombed since they first opened. Everything from the quality and selection of food served, the service in the bars, the physical appearance of the hotels themselves, opening hours, entertainment offfered and the number of perks given is the worst its ever been. I always enjoy staying there but can't help but feel it used to be better.

Yes at times it appears to have improved somewhat due to new management or whatever but the overall trend seems to be downward.

It didn't used to be better - I fact it has improved quite a lot in terms of appearance and investment. The entertainment went considerably down-hill at one stage, and the opening hours of the water park have never been great since the first couple of seasons. I would argue though that the standard of experience and service off-peak is much lower then on-season which is not acceptable considering the room and food/drink rates.

The food is one thing I would like to pick on. Whist Flambos has improved from the shocking state it was a few seasons back, Secret Garden has become a dull and uninteresting experience. It is as if AT don't think there is a market beyond standard pub food. Come on, people want special and unique choices when they are taking a holiday away from it all!! They need a new head chef.

Overall the resort was brilliant last weekend, apart from security Saturday night which wasn't nice

aru said:
It didn't used to be better - I fact it has improved quite a lot in terms of appearance and investment. The entertainment went considerably down-hill at one stage, and the opening hours of the water park have never been great since the first couple of seasons. I would argue though that the standard of experience and service off-peak is much lower then on-season which is not acceptable considering the room and food/drink rates.

Yes it did. Right from 1996 until 2002/2003 the entertainment was brilliant. It the hotel entertainments hey-day you had 'The Magic Makers' who would entertain the kids, do face painting, make balloon animals etc.. then Pirate Bill and Baby Bear would do their show, after that the magic makers would come out and do a mini disco with the kids then after that would would have the Dickie and Tanya show with vocal singers who would sing the night away with some adult humour thrown in. So yes, even in 2012 the entertainment has fallen down incredibly.

Admittedly between 2004-2007 things got bad - and Alton Towers have tried their best to improve the entertainment the past few years, although they haven't developed it enough for my liking and I think they are capable of far more to improve the entertainment offerings at night. At the moment there are too many large gaps between 'shows', they need to revert back to the 90s/early 00s formula of making sure guests have a packed evening.

The waterpark used to be open late into the night once upon a time, this used to be great as you could stay on the park until it closes, go for a dip in the waterpark, have a meal and then enjoy a few drinks and enjoy the entertainment. Hotel guests are simply left with too many hours with nothing to do these days, for Alton Towers to become a true resort more activities need to be added on resort. This will be very important with the lodge development, in 5 years time I really hope they see sense and an entertainments complex is added on resort.

Things have improved the past few years, no one can argue that, although (for me at least) there's a lot they can improve on.

One of the main things that bugs me is that in any resort hotel room you get 1X Shower Gel, 1X Shampoo and 2X Bubble Nath, which is all fine and well, but no matter how many people are in your room, thats still all you get! And no matter how many nights you stay, you don't get anymore! Not good whdn your paying £200 a night