• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Resort niggles

Ive only stayed at the hotel the once (oct 2011 during scarefest). The overall experience of the day was very good. The man behind the desk at check in did something that i have never felt before was that he was actually very happy to be helping you and not (as is with most hotel's these days, all seems very american) reading from a scriprt. He also despite being under huge pressure from his bosses and from the size of the queue took his time and even chatted about us being from yorkshire, and weirdly about Rugby League. His manager kept popping his head around the door clearly wanting to give him bollocking. After he had finished i said to him if he gives a bollocking just tell him clear off from me (or words to that affect) he laughed and said thank you, when we was leaving we praised the lad (who;s name escaps me) and heavily pointed out the lack of professionlism shown by the man in charge.

The restraunt staff were aswell very good at there job and chatty, but they too where under a huge amount of pressure from someone with a bit of power. This seemed to me whilst i was reading this thread that the staff are willing to be amazing but there is amount of little Hitlers put in charge pf these people. I know that if a manager is being a tit it puts you in a bad mood and that filters down to the staff.

Dragons bar............. the man who served me first time did make me laugh. He was joking with hos colleages about the entainment. (scarefest actors singing to queens somebody to love) That was the mood inside the bar people just joking about the appalin entertainment that was outside and it made a great enviroment.

Somebody at AT needs to not look at how bad there staff is but who is in charge of them. That theme ran through them two days. Alot of staff under a lot of pressure when they was really no need. Good customer service starts with good service with the company that employ's the staff SIMPLES.

One last point. Apart from the room being damp.................. the main niggle that i had was just how tatty so of the resort looked. (It was cold damp and raining but ive always liked it better at AT when its cold and damp im weird). The monorail staff too where shall we say very clearly bored.

The managers can be a bit hit and miss too really.

A few years ago (2008/2009 I think) we just checked out and decided to eat in the Secret Garden Restaurant, the manager in there was superb, it gave us the menus, had a long conversation with us about how our time was there, about the place in general, where we were from etc... It was our last day and we had a long journey ahead to get home, but we left with big smiles on our faces thanks to that manager just being a lovely guy and very friendly with us.

That's the only time I've ever come across a manager in the hotels that will happily talk to you for a good half hour even though they've got other duties to attend to. Superb service. The general vibe from other staff in there that day was excellent too. They were all brilliant. When you've got a great manager and a great set of staff it leaves you with a lovely atmosphere. I don't think I've ever seen a work place so positive. :p

James said:
That's the only time I've ever come across a manager in the hotels that will happily talk to you for a good half hour even though they've got other duties to attend to. Superb service. The general vibe from other staff in there that day was excellent too. They were all brilliant. When you've got a great manager and a great set of staff it leaves you with a lovely atmosphere. I don't think I've ever seen a work place so positive. :p

Couldn't agree with this more James. A positive role model at the head of an organisation or team makes all the difference. Staff feel secure in their roles, and sense of pride in their work and location. They don't necessarily make the best organisers, or stock checkers etc, hence the importance of a great management team.

The guy at the very top has the role to craft a group of individuals, that can perform roles dutifully and with pride and care. One of the most important aspects of management is delegation, and being able to pick and develop peoples core strengths and talents, and fitting them into a group dynamic - and then showing appreciation for those staff.

It is a given, that productivity, and customer satisfaction can increase exponentially in this case. Less time will be taken ill, there will be a slower turnaround of staff, and the business will do far better as a result.

EDIT:

They are now charging "Top Hat and Tails" money for their rooms. Any comparison to TL prices/service has zero relevance anymore and I revert back to my abject disgrace levels of service/pricing.

Great service/quality and product demands and deserves payment. However, I always believe we should aim to give a service greater than the price people perceive to be paying - it is my personal working mantra, and that of many great businessmen/women.

This is all about money. Alton, you are not at this level, you do not offer service to match the big players, not even close by the sounds of it! I love this park and really want this complex to be a success, but I cannot agree with the outrageous greed being shown in the new pricing.

It makes me ashamed to be an enthusiast.

On the simple basis of supply and demand - AT obviously have and under supply of rooms due to high demand, hence the high prices. But this does make me question the so called 'cuts' we have seen in some elements of the experience as these price rises have been way above inflation. I guess it could be argued that AT are creaming more off the top of the room prices but not incrementally improving the experience to reflect the price. :/

I have no objection to price rises and savings in the right areas. We would not be seeing the huge investment in the resort offering for 2014 if the resort wasn't profitable. I just hope ATH are keeping an eye on the detail and expectations that goes with a premium priced product. :)

Once there is more room capacity from 2014 I imagine the general prices will go down. Hopefully anyway!

Ps - ATH still do some good deals off-peak or when the park is closed. ;D

Just a quick pic which has been sent over to us today by TS reader Kip. They seemed to be laying/measuring up a template for a new floor in Dragon's Bar this morning:

dragonsbar.jpg

Plenty of aesthetic improvements going on on Resort, lets just hope they can up the service aspect to boot!

Just going back to the subject of prices for the hotels for a minute - one thing you have to bear in mind is that the hotels are open all year round, and the cost of running the hotel doesnt change a great deal throughout the year, in fact, at the time when the hotel is at its quietest (winter) the bills for heating for example are at their highest. So of course Alton have to balance the cost of running the place all year against what it charges its guests.

Summer time they will charge exorborant room rates because there is the demand for the rooms and the profit they make throughout peak times then gets used at off peak times to keep the hotel running.

While the hotel prices can be crazy sometimes (e.g. £600+ for the Ice Age room) - there must be people out there who are willing to pay this, so who can blame Alton for charging it. It is a business at the end of the day.

Similarly, off peak, I have visited the hotel for £50 with breakfast (for the room) which is astounding value for money. Even the £99 room and theme park tickets offers they were running towards the end of last year was amazing value when you consider the theme park tickets are £85 for 2 people, say a very conservative £10 each for breakfasts, Alton are in effect giving you the room for free.

I dont have real issue with the pricing of the hotel - if I cant afford to stay there, I know there are plenty of other decent places to stay nearby (Chained Oak BB for example) and I can always stay in the hotel at another time.

Craig said:
Just a quick pic which has been sent over to us today by TS reader Kip. They seemed to be laying/measuring up a template for a new floor in Dragon's Bar this morning:

dragonsbar.jpg

Plenty of aesthetic improvements going on on Resort, lets just hope they can up the service aspect to boot!

Great! The new floor needed something to make it feel a bit more authentic. :D

GaryH said:
Just going back to the subject of prices for the hotels for a minute - one thing you have to bear in mind is that the hotels are open all year round, and the cost of running the hotel doesnt change a great deal throughout the year, in fact, at the time when the hotel is at its quietest (winter) the bills for heating for example are at their highest. So of course Alton have to balance the cost of running the place all year against what it charges its guests.

Summer time they will charge exorborant room rates because there is the demand for the rooms and the profit they make throughout peak times then gets used at off peak times to keep the hotel running.

That is true of the majority of holiday destinations though. A family friend owns a big camp site in South Devon, (another chap I used to know a theme park down there), they make pretty much all their revenue over the summer holidays, and anything else is a bonus - admittedly they don't stay open over the winter, they close for about 4/5 months (as many do).

I can understand the high pricing in the summer, and they do appear to have decent winter deals on too, but they only reflect what is more aligned to the actual standard of service/facilities available. (Cannot believe they are being given the "well they are great compared to a TL" comparison - cor, deary me lol).

I think they are missing a trick, I really do, well I know they are as I think most of us appreciate. With some tweaks, far better service, to higher end touches, they could have that hotel stand on it's own merits even through the winter - after all, can you find many more picturesque destinations than Alton? Hardly. It can be self sustained with appropriate investment.

I am not necessarily blaming the hotel management here, though they are at fault for poor service standards, as I question the backing they are getting as always. That being said, you cannot invest and then ramp up prices like they have - although, people will pay it. Doesn't mean they will leave happy though - and I remember that used to be a primary goal of anything Alton Towers, that you leave with a smile.

Just frustrates me, when with some common sense applied, they could justify (almost!) those prices because it is a unique venue - but you can't charge them without the improvements "resort" wide first, it's completely back to front.

Alton are probably up against it as per usual, however Merlin could easily back a proper refurb and absorb the cost whilst making the money back afterwards. Given that floatation proposal, you can be guaranteed it will be a minimum investment to get maximum returns that's for sure.

Well and truly got your card marked on that Merlin.

(Co-incidentally, literally just had an email from family, saying how horribly expensive the hotel is now, that is from people who usually go and stay multiple times a year with a family... they are not moving with the times/present market conditions).

That wooden floor was only new last year, maybe they are getting a rug placed in the middle, or some kind or logo/image placed on the floor?

@TheMan - Yeah I hear what your saying. I agree, other hotels have to operate in similar ways, dependant on their core business however and where they are located. For example, a businessman travelling to Stoke for a meeting is going to more likely look at a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn than even consider ATH even though it may be cheaper so in terms of "off peak" customers, Alton may have to work a bit harder to attract them.

I have to be honest, i've been going to the hotel since it opened and I cant really say i've ever encountered bad service there. Maybe thats as I have been luck. My main complaints have been (as the years have gone on), the beds needing replacing, bathrooms needing modernising and one room the window mechanism was a bit iffy.

Also- as a theme park hotel, these are by their very nature more expensive, wherever you go in the world, be it Chessington or Florida, if you opt to stay on site then you must expect to pay a premium to do so.

You do raise valid points though, however, this has been my experience of staying in the hotels over the years (usually 3 times a year) , and I wouldnt hesitate to stay there again this year (dependant on price of course, I would never stay in July/August! - though there are plenty of people that do)

One final thing - if you read the majority of TripAdvisor reviews thesedays, most are faveourable and people do express how friendly and helpful the staff were, so I think the drive over the past few years to improve service in the hotels and the park has really paid off. I've certainally noticed the difference.

djtruefitt said:
That wooden floor was only new last year, maybe they are getting a rug placed in the middle, or some kind or logo/image placed on the floor?

It was a big shame they ripped out the patterned carpets and replaced them with a generic wooden floor in the first place.

Hmmmmm it seems to be making a very large path to the Emperor Grill, could we be seeing a new entrance to a permanant restaurant?...

Ithink with high prices people automatically want good service. But the hotel despie the pricethe hotel is a jumped up Premierinn. Service is everything and i got amazing service whilst i was there like i said it was the pressure that was very clearly being put on by managers that could have easily delt with the queue's by helping out.

The people who work at Alton Towers are human beings. Im sure all of us go into work not raelly wanting to be there, and with big prices seems to bring in people who just love complaining ABOUT EVERYTHING. I know from working in a hotel (Briefly) that its hard to keep going and smily and jolly and happy when no matter you do someone is maoning at you.

The hotel does need a bit of TLC. it looks like its started already. I dont really post much on these forums, but i read alo tof them and ive noticed that alot of peeps just hate change. Nothing will ever compare to seeing Nemesis, Air, Oblivion for the first time. To see them look faded and unloved is just part of life. I went to Flamingo land and Pleasure beach in the last 2 years and saw nothing but faded, dirty and uncared for theme parks. Compared to Alton Towers these places are appaling. I told my Girlfriend whilst we at Alton Towers last that you can see why you pay more to be here as it is just nicer and a pleasant place to be. The staff are a million times more friendly then the above, and the place is actually (i know you find this hard to swallow) very well maintained. Yes we would likeit to look like a kitchen in as flash advert but we live in Briatian in everything fades. I didntgo in 2012 and it looks like ill have to wait till october to go again. But everytime i go (I moan about the price) but i feel the same atmosphere i did when i was 15. I wanted to stay at the hotel since opened and when i did id loved it. It didnt let me down and AT has never let me down.

GaryH said:
Also- as a theme park hotel, these are by their very nature more expensive, wherever you go in the world, be it Chessington or Florida, if you opt to stay on site then you must expect to pay a premium to do so.

Very measured/balanced post Gary, enjoyed reading that. I have heard some pretty rubbish things about the "Chessington" hotel lately from family who visit - I know it's only an example mind. They feel a bit out of place, like it is geared for business people not families. Cannot comment on anything other than, from inside the park, it certainly doesn't look as welcoming as Alton's hotels do, that is in their favour, purpose built.

Slugjc said:
Ithink with high prices people automatically want good service. But the hotel despie the pricethe hotel is a jumped up Premierinn. Service is everything and i got amazing service whilst i was there like i said it was the pressure that was very clearly being put on by managers that could have easily delt with the queue's by helping out.

What, management not stepping in to help at busy times? You will forgive my lack of shock. ;)

Interesting points you make though, about big prices resulting in complaints - I have to both disagree and agree, ultimately with a strong management behind you, if you have a deliberately obstinate or awkward customer, you all (management included), go out the back shout and rave about it, calm yourself, and return with fair offer - you will certainly attract that kind, but then again, so does every price point... it is just perhaps the language, and how far down their nose they view you from, is different.

However, so long as you give value for the price point I have to stand up for consumers here and applaud the vast majority. Most are fair and reasonable, and indeed engaging with these people brightens both your day and theirs - it is all too easy to let one annoying customer ruin your day, but if it gets too much, a manager should back their staff up and alleviate that issue.

A real key to great service/management, is remembering the human element. The customer, staff, managers etc are all people engaging in a business and emotional transaction with each other, especially in the nature of complaints. One does well to remember, we may well be great friends with this person out of work, or come across them again in life somewhere else - all too easy to forget when in the throws of disagreement.

Also, they aren't just there to put names on a time sheet and boss the staff around ultimately, a great manager leads from the front, and to a degree, shields their staff from these issues or at least supports them. As I say though, when people feel they get the service their payment deserves, a huge majority are more than fair - and if you take real pride in your job, and go that little extra way to provide great service, it is surprising what happens. (£30 tips for opening champers properly for example).

TheMan said:
GaryH said:

Very measured/balanced post Gary, enjoyed reading that. I have heard some pretty rubbish things about the "Chessington" hotel lately from family who visit - I know it's only an example mind. They feel a bit out of place, like it is geared for business people not families. Cannot comment on anything other than, from inside the park, it certainly doesn't look as welcoming as Alton's hotels do, that is in their favour, purpose built.

Slugjc said:

What, management not stepping in to help at busy times? You will forgive my lack of shock. ;)

Interesting points you make though, about big prices resulting in complaints - I have to both disagree and agree, ultimately with a strong management behind you, if you have a deliberately obstinate or awkward customer, you all (management included), go out the back shout and rave about it, calm yourself, and return with fair offer - you will certainly attract that kind, but then again, so does every price point... it is just perhaps the language, and how far down their nose they view you from, is different.

However, so long as you give value for the price point I have to stand up for consumers here and applaud the vast majority. Most are fair and reasonable, and indeed engaging with these people brightens both your day and theirs - it is all too easy to let one annoying customer ruin your day, but if it gets too much, a manager should back their staff up and alleviate that issue.

A real key to great service/management, is remembering the human element. The customer, staff, managers etc are all people engaging in a business and emotional transaction with each other, especially in the nature of complaints. One does well to remember, we may well be great friends with this person out of work, or come across them again in life somewhere else - all too easy to forget when in the throws of disagreement.

Also, they aren't just there to put names on a time sheet and boss the staff around ultimately, a great manager leads from the front, and to a degree, shields their staff from these issues or at least supports them. As I say though, when people feel they get the service their payment deserves, a huge majority are more than fair - and if you take real pride in your job, and go that little extra way to provide great service, it is surprising what happens. (£30 tips for opening champers properly for example).

But the major problem is the lack of repect that is clearly shown to their staff. It was very busy when we checked in (around 1pm) Now i know from experience as a man that did rota's at a very diffrent job ill agree, but never the less. The poor las behind the counter had the world on his shoulders.It seemed like half of scotland arrived at that very point and he was dealing with it rather well. I always say that if its busy and ill assume that around that time it always busy. That they should have been more then him on duty. The 2 mamagers in the office where just stood there staring at the line and getting rather angry. It wasnt his fault that half of scotland finest toff families had arrived and were getting rather snotty and angry too. But they didnt help and wasnt only me who noticed (as a rather angry scots man pointed out to me as we walked past)

I did say something as we left on there feed back form things, i understand pressure at the AT hotel must huge.They are at the front line not for AT but for Merlin. The staff are very well trained and that is clear. Unlike most hotels there training didnt seem scripted like we seem to get these days. Everyone smiled at us, im sure through clenched teeth but they at least smile. and they were happy to be human, and ingage in converstaion. The dippy blond who served us in the secret garden was very good. Flapping but very good.

The price. Of course its ok to expect 5 star service for what you pay. You look at trip advisor the latest reviews all seem to be on the good side. I also think you can take trip advisor with a pinch of salt...... the one thing people cant do is rate that customer. These types of hotel are expensive supplyand demand but also (Like basil fawlty) it will mostly there to turn away the riff raff. Most complaints people seem to be making on trip advisor is about there fellow patrons,and indeedon some of these forums (travellours weekend etc etc etc) I for one first came to AT with school and the pricks in my years mamnaged to get in to a fight and got thrown out. So you cant blame the travling folk of our nation on that, it wasnt a rough school but still please dont judge me riff raff come in all shapes and sizies. It also reasonable to think that for that price that the place could be updated and modern (not full of damp like our room was) but as we all know the higher the price the more snobs it attracts. But still the manegement need to be told to HELP THERE STAFF RATHER THEN SHOUTING AT THEM

Slugjc said:
But still the manegement need to be told to HELP THERE STAFF RATHER THEN SHOUTING AT THEM

I wont copy the entire quote, but simply wished to reference that you make very sound points. That management attitude is awful. I do quite often find this strange juxtaposition of quite friendly staff, some very well trained, yet poor operational decisions that seem to almost counter that.

To me, that reads that actually, Alton has a very well established staff training manual going back many years, but that Merlin throw management at it with a totally differing ethos or background that, as per your observations, like to take a back seat role.

I think things are changing a bit at Alton Towers, it certainly feels it to me - more a sense of how the place feels aside from anything else. The pricing is ludicrous but then I am convinced things such as this, are largely determined by higher Merlin pen pushers without an actual clue.

One thing is for sure, I would very much like to know who is behind some of these ridiculous decisions so I could directly approach them and find out, for my own curiosities sake, where this pressure for these structures/costs etc actually come from.

It does feel like Alton Towers has two heads trying to walk in opposite directions sometimes, my ultimate suspicion is that is Merlin Head that f's most of it up, leaving the poor Towers staff front of house to clean their f'ing messes up.

It does feel like Alton Towers has two heads trying to walk in opposite directions sometimes, my ultimate suspicion is that is Merlin Head that f's most of it up, leaving the poor Towers staff front of house to clean their f'ing messes up.
[/quote]

Sad news is no matter what company you work for its always the ground staff that clears the heaping mess they leave

Merlin just want profit no matter how it comes and like most things when things aint working they shout at the people below, but the groundsatff have no one below to shout at. There in lies the problem. Good feed back gets a pat on the back. Bad feed gets people the sack. But in thses hard times people are dispensable. easily replaced. Also huge amount of Merlins staff will be seasonal. What does it care if they are upset wont be working for them in a few month.

But also the staff are humans, in getting a managers job they'll have to kick and push anyone around them. People will hate them as they do. They will hate the other people. Brown nosing grassing etc etc. Im sure you all see in your job someone being promted then trying there hardest to make sure they are seen as the boss. By being t&%ts. But to do it in public is a big No NO in my book.

I'm sure this has been blown out of proportion - the hotel staff are majority brilliant, they seemingly enjoy their jobs and have good management. Majority of them are permenant as well, though part time.

As for merlin wanting profit no matter how it comes. How true. This is why we haven't seen any sprucing up at the hotels, or spending way more on theming and creating a storyline on a new coaster than they actually need to

thefatone said:
I'm sure this has been blown out of proportion - the hotel staff are majority brilliant, they seemingly enjoy their jobs and have good management. Majority of them are permenant as well, though part time.

As for merlin wanting profit no matter how it comes. How true. This is why we haven't seen any sprucing up at the hotels, or spending way more on theming and creating a storyline on a new coaster than they actually need to

You know it is possible to have a discussion about business practice without sarcasm. There is plenty of evidence everywhere, to point to obvious profiteering, so much so I really don't think that needs to be gone over again.

I actually give more credit to Alton Towers nowadays than people with your views, as it is my observation that they quite often are up against stringent budget/target based performance that appear very poorly managed.

Or perhaps you agreed with some of the ridiculous decisions Alton were forced into last year?

There is a difference between critiquing something, and accepting others opinions and views (as I have, from both good and bad sides), and actually then belittling someone elses personal experiences.

You will find me in the Half Term thread, standing up for Towers, but there are clearly enough issues for plenty of members to want to express those thoughts, without fear of people belittling them. You have great experiences, great, more power to you - but the absolute golden rule of customer care and service, is you truly discover how great a company is when a problem arises.

So no, you are not sure this has been blown out of proportion - your experiences are fantastic by the sounds of it, I wont argue with that and congratulate Towers and staff when they do, but if you think the issues Slugjc mentions are some kind of fabrication or exaggeration, then you have not had much experience dealing with management attitudes clearly. Not only is what Slugjc mentions a possibility, it is very probable, and something I have seen many times - as I am sure many others have.

This is not a Alton-centric issue, but that does not mean it does not happen there.

As for your sprucing up of the Hotels comment... yeah Moon Rooms... I think everyone knows my thoughts on that by now, not your finest example ;D

I respect everyone's experiences as their own, I just think others here could show more respect and do the same.

(No offense meant of course, just discussing and airing my views on this ;)).

By sprucing up hotel - I meant, painting bannisters, new flooring down in public areas. Stuff they generally didn't need to do. I deliberately ignored moon rooms as they come at a price.

I was going by the exaggeration that by one persons experience of a presumably slightly stressed manager, that they're all like that and everyone hates it or has that attitude. We don't even know if the staff member in question actually felt anywhere near belittled by it.

But fair enough.