• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Resort niggles

Didn't there used to be goodie bags for each guest staying, hidden drawers with activity packs for kids, lots more complimentary freebies in the room and bathroom as well as free fasttrack tickets and money off vouchers for the restaurants at one point too. The promotional material, brochures and menus were all of higher quality too. Made it feel more premium.

There used to be treasure chests for kids to find in the rooms, they would be given a clue at reception where to find the hidden chest then two of these chests were hidden in the room, one in the bottom table drawer under the shelf compartment and the other on the hidden shelf underneath the suitcase holder (or built in chair at the end of the table as I like to call it :p ). These hidden compartments are still in the explorer rooms in the ATH!

Inside the treasure chest there was a colouring book, colouring pencils, character cards and a small model you could build yourself (either of the car that is at the front of the hotel as the fountain or the flying ship) - I remember the models being very detailed and a lot of fun to play with as a kid.

On top of that guests were given a voucher book which included discounts for the theme park, hotels, restaurants, extras for the hotel room. There were also chocolates on the bed for adults at one point too. There were loads of toiletries in the bathroom, far more stuff used to be in there before. As many know too free Fastrack for all rides on the park was a standard perk of being a hotel guest.

Back in the good old days too you used to receive a welcome pack too, with a hotel brochure, entertainment guide, theme park map...

I speak from a family which has stayed at the resort annually since 1996, back then you did feel like the extra money was completely worth it. Alton Towers was really 'the Disneyland of the UK'.

My main issue with the hotels (like many others) is the bars, The service seems to be getting worse and worse. I only stayed over on Sunday night, but I was in the bar till about 11pm on Saturday before I left to go home.

Dragon Bar
I would say recently Dragons Bar has improved and the majority of the staff have been very friendly, infact there was one guy on Saturday night who had a good chat with me and was very nice. The service has also been quicker, but that might change when its the main season and its more busy (with no more staff!). The main issue with Dragon bar is that many of the drinks for the secret garden are also made at Dragon bar, which means at times there are 5 or 6 staff members behind the bar, but only one of them might be serving the people in the queue. I dont understand why they dont have all the alcoholic options being the bar in the secret garden, this way all guests would get their drinks quicker.

In terms of kicking you out at 11pm, I dont understand why they dont announce this, they have a PA system, why not tell people. Then you dont get the nasty shock at 11pm when security or bar staff tell you to leave as they are now closed.

Margs
My big big issue is Margs, 9 our of 10 times I go in there I get horrible service, the majority of the staff are slow, rude and look like they really dont wish to be there. Its now a long running joke as to how long you may be stood in a queue for a drink. You can often be at the bar with only one person infront of you being served and you will still wait for a good 10 to 15 minutes. And the worse thing is that Margs has a massive bar, yet they only ever serve at one part of it, which just creates a big queue.

My worse experience was during fireworks last year, the bar wasnt overly busy, yet it was taking forever to get served. I even had quite a moan about it at one point after being stood at the bar for 20 minutes while one member of staff served. Yet 4 or 5 other staff members were stood at the back sorting out pizzas and chips for guests in the bar/rooms. Alton Towers management really need to hire more staff for Margs, you are paying premium prices for crap service, infact I get better service in my local cheap wetherspoons!

Of course im not going to name people, but there are one or two staff members in Margs who need some guest service training or sacking, they are well and truely crap!

What I have started doing now each time I visit, is to fill in one of the computer surveys (there is one in each hotel reception, one outside Flambos and one outside Secret Garden.), if a large amount of people give negative feedback the hotels scores will go down and they will have to improve. I suggest everytime you visit and get crap service, simply fill one of the surveys in.

I've been mulling over a lot of the points already brought up here, and I do think it lets the place down.

I will be sending in a letter though, as at the moment it seems they aren't looking to improve service, but do the minimum they can get away with. Feedback may be a welcome change for them

As far as the lack of choice for food in Secret Garden goes, I believe this is to get the food out quicker due to the demand for tables they have. The smaller the menu, the easier and quicker it is to make the food, prepare it and plate it up....sort of like getting used to a routine.
Even if this is better for the staff, the restaurant is suppose to be at the top end of dining experiences within the resort and you would have thought that you would get a bigger/better menu with a better, higher quality of food being produced. But for the fast turnover of tables from the guests wanting to eat, the food quality/variety has just gone further and further downhill.

I suppose it is really good for the company as a whole as the demand is there portraying that the hotels are full and people are spending a hell of a lot of money there but with the new accommodation planned for 2014 I believe everything in terms of higher quality food/service within Secret Garden will just continue going down hill. Well, unless enough guests complain that is.

James said:
There used to be treasure chests for kids to find in the rooms, they would be given a clue at reception where to find the hidden chest then two of these chests were hidden in the room, one in the bottom table drawer under the shelf compartment and the other on the hidden shelf underneath the suitcase holder (or built in chair at the end of the table as I like to call it :p ). These hidden compartments are still in the explorer rooms in the ATH!

Inside the treasure chest there was a colouring book, colouring pencils, character cards and a small model you could build yourself (either of the car that is at the front of the hotel as the fountain or the flying ship) - I remember the models being very detailed and a lot of fun to play with as a kid.

On top of that guests were given a voucher book which included discounts for the theme park, hotels, restaurants, extras for the hotel room. There were also chocolates on the bed for adults at one point too. There were loads of toiletries in the bathroom, far more stuff used to be in there before. As many know too free Fastrack for all rides on the park was a standard perk of being a hotel guest.

Back in the good old days too you used to receive a welcome pack too, with a hotel brochure, entertainment guide, theme park map...

I speak from a family which has stayed at the resort annually since 1996, back then you did feel like the extra money was completely worth it. Alton Towers was really 'the Disneyland of the UK'.

Free fasttrack on all rides being removed is really not a bad thing for everyone else :p But interestingly we all got a similar-sounding voucher book when staying over a few years ago in November, and little quirky things like towel animals more recently.

Obviously the ending of the Imperial Leather sponsorship means that the crazy amount of toiletries which was exciting in itself is no longer possible, but at least the fish are cute :)

I seem to be onto something, I think actually realising its not just me with an issue that I will pop it in writing and send it off. I'll be sure to post the reply in here.

Ben said:
I'll be sure to post the reply in here.

"We're sorry, we've taken your thoughts on board. Have some free fastrack." I don't want to come across as too harsh on them, but that seems to be the standard response to any feedback.

I can't quite put my finger on it but something just seemed a bit amiss last weekend. It was fantastic and I loved every minute, especially meeting a couple of members I hadn't spoken to before. I think the hotels just don't seem very magical, I didn't feel like I was Alton Towers Resort, it just felt like a regular hotel. :(

I'm still annoyed that the Winter Menu hasn't returned, I miss the Garlic Mushrooms :p

The water park had late opening until around 2007/2008, they need to bring that back. The food quality (ie taste) is better now at the restaurants but the range has diminished.

They actually seem to want to prove the hotels a lot so I imagine helpful letters might be appreciated.

Me and Ian just wanted some chips like the do over at ATH from Margs on Sunday and was told no you will have to go downstairs and have the lunch buffet! All I wanted was a snack! Rant over.

Magrathea said:
Free fasttrack on all rides being removed is really not a bad thing for everyone else :p But interestingly we all got a similar-sounding voucher book when staying over a few years ago in November, and little quirky things like towel animals more recently.

Obviously the ending of the Imperial Leather sponsorship means that the crazy amount of toiletries which was exciting in itself is no longer possible, but at least the fish are cute :)

Considering that hotel guests pay quite an extortionate amount, free Fastrack was a nice perk. :p

Yeah they had voucher books a few years ago, I remember getting one in 2008/2009. Although they no longer seem to do that again. The voucher book I found actually resulted in us spending in places we would not normally do, simply due to the fact you feel like you're getting a good offer. Shame they are gone again.

I like the towel animals, a nice little thing.

Before Imperial Leather they used to provide more toiletries than they do now. However I do like the fish they have now and the shampoo/bodywash (I think it's coconut) I love! :p

For me, it's not so much that I feel what you get now is bad. However before 2004 you felt like you were getting far more for your moneys worth, little things like perhaps a welcome pack and something more for the kids would really improve the experience. It's the small things that count. :)

There are many little low-cost things that can massively improve people's impression of their stay and plenty of toiletries is just one. I'm no fan of free FastTrack for hotel guests as Scarefest proves it causes queue issues.

They need to increase the entertainment and improve guest services, as well as post the bar opening times in ATH bar with maybe a note to say the late bar is in Splash Landings.

Ahh the voucher books, I forgot about those.

First time I visited the hotel was for a Valentines weekend - will have to dig out some photos as the rooms looked different back then, different bedding, curtains etc.

I remember in particular the Molton Brown toiletries (expensive) , the colour changing kettle and the duck hairdryer. Also remember that the Spa was THE only swimming pool and you had to book a 2 hour time slot so they could fit in as many hotel guests as possible during the open period.

As time went on I remember the voucher book which was things like buy one get one free on games in Merry England, money off photopasses, money off in certain restaurants, also remember the free string Alotn Towers backpacks, and the colouring books, resort information etc. Think I still have these somewhere - I still have the opening brochure from the hotel somewhere in the house.

As James said, it certainally did feel more of a "premium" experience back then with a lot more perks, such as fastpass included, then when Splash opened, it was only hotel guests who could use the waterpark. Given the price they charge to stay there, its a pity the hotel experience doesnt feel a bit more "exclusive" if thats the right word.

As for the hotels themselves now - well, I still dont think anywhere else nearby can match the atmosphere inside, and I always find the staff extremely friendly. I love the Dragon Bar now with its new lighting, though think they could fit a few more tables and chairs in there by the log fire. Least fave of mine is the bar in Splash, just has no real atmosphere and is usually quiet in the evenings.

Edit : As for bar times, I dont think they should stay open too late, this is a family hotel and people going to bed early so they can get up early to go on the rides dont really want to be woken by drunken people walking down the corridors in the early hours (surprises me how many people who now do this, and how many cannot talk quietly!).

Thats another thing I remember when Alton hotel first opened, the rules! No large same sex parties, no stag and hen parties, and best behaviour at all times!!!

If anything I think the entertainment needs to be culled a bit. You can't escape for the Children's Presenter crèche style show in Splash or the awful cruise ship Jane MacDonald style karaoke in ATH. It's dreadful! Ever heard of a quiet adult friendly bar with background music only?

I really do find the hotels unfriendly to adult only parties, which is surprising considering we are the ones paying

Ents doesn't need to be culled, it just needs a designated area and not the ship in ATH. The sooner they construct an entertainments complex, purpose built for the job thew better. They can have entertainment on as late as they want without guests complaining they can hear it from their room.

Like I keep saying, they need an adult only bar, away from the loud music. Somewhere you can relax and have a civilized pint at the the end of the day.
A proper "old man's pub" with a selection of real ales that no one has ever heard of, no music, and a strict no under 21s allowed within 50 feet of the door policy.

Also, smoking would be compulsary for all.

(A guy can dream) :(

Perhaps the new hotel manager needs reminding about these special touches reserved for guests. I imagine he turnover of management at AT can sometimes mean that this stuff gets lost in time. :/ :)

Since the early 2000s we have been visiting both hotels on an increasing basis, until in 2011 we spent a cumulative of 8 days there over the year. However, after several fairly large problems and an overall feeling of paying more and getting less, we did not visit once last year and actually didn't miss it.

Whilst there have been some good additions and improvements, I'm sick of paying ridiculous prices for the waterpark, the food and drink, the room and everything else that goes along with a stay, but the value slowly being eroded. Remember when you could get some great wines by the glass and the food in Secret Garden was worth the money? When these things start to return, so will I.

I dont think the food and drinks prices are too bad, especially with AP discount, the drinks prices for a hotel are very reasonable (compared to the likes of the bar in a Holiday Inn for example). Granted Flambo's is expensive but now they have added the soft drinks to the package its a little better....