• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

160 minute queues in July is very normal
as its school trip season. People repeatedly visit in school trip season and then are shocked it’s busy.

Downtime is bad though, worst season I can remember for ride uptime, even though some of the obsession on here for 20min shutdowns is a little excessive.

I know the report that @Bowser is on about, and the queue was apparently advertised at 70…

It does seem as though Alton is having a rough season for ride availability, though, with a number of attractions being down for extended multi-day stints. I find this interesting when none of the other Merlin parks seem to be having issues to nearly the same extent.

Other than Hyperia, the only ride at Thorpe I can think of that’s spent a long stint closed this year is Detonator, and Chessington and Legoland haven’t had any significant ride availability issues this year to my knowledge either.

They also seem to have grown to have trouble with advertising accurate queue times. When I went in March, I got in an advertised “70 minute” queue for Wicker Man that ended up being 2.5 hours, and I also got in an advertised “110 minute” queue for Nemesis Reborn that ended up being only 60 minutes…

Last edited:
160 mins for Rita, I cant think of anything worse than being stood in that cattle pen queue line for that long. Mind you, Smiler queue line comes a close second!

Aside from Nemesis Reborn, the rides which suffered any noticeable downtime (for me, checking the app in the park when looking at what to do) were Oblivion, Wickerman and Spinball Whizzer.

Oblivion went down for about 25 mins around lunchtime. The ride attendant, stationed at the front of the station, said that the downtime was due to a PA system fault. Given that you could hear them trying different announcements, throughout the queue line and on the drop, I'm inclined to give this explanation the benefit of the doubt.

Wickerman's downtime of 30 mins, in the afternoon toward 2/3 pm, was attributed to a dropped belonging on the lift hill. I'm wagering a phone, there were a few "put that phone away" announcements throughout the day I heard whilst trains were at stations.

Spinball Whizzer had an issue with the restraints on two cars being released (around 11), which caused a few stalls. The cars were swapped out, which didn't take long at all, and it seemed to have plain sailing for the rest of the day.

TH13TEEN did have three trains in operation, but it didn't have a bag drop running, so you had the inevitable platform squabble, leading to the three trains stacking.

Rita had two train ops, but the back car / back two rows on each train (first thing in the morning) were closed off. I'm not sure if these were operating later in the day. The longest queue I saw advertised for this is 70 mins, which seems standard for Rita. It's a casual guest favourite, if not one for the enthusiasts.

Galactica had three trains, on a two station operation.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertised queue time for The Smiler at least than 60 mins, it's regularly at 90. Operations yesterday for it were fine, but the queue management at the merge was awful, complicated by people seemingly not knowing how a bag drop works.

It is worth noting that in the day of the app, if a ride ceases operation for even 5 minutes, it's almost guaranteed to list as Closed. These periods of "downtime" wouldn't have been measured, noticed, or reported in the days of queue boards. You wouldn't see a train pass for a few minutes, wonder what was going on, and then see one. This is often now listed as Closed. I see the logic of doing this, you don't want the queue to fill if you can't shift it, but it doesn't look great for outside optics.

You've then got the compounding issue of app queue times not being the most reliable. Toward the end of the day, getting off The Blade, a shout went up of "Galactica's on 15 mins", cue a stampede of people running toward Galactica, which had a queue heading toward the car park turn extension, making it closer to 30/40, let alone the people running into it.

I had a pleasant day, but I can see why others might not have done. The lack of Retro Squad queue absorbers was certainly felt, it would have just eased pressure a little everywhere. With Nemesis Reborn closed yesterday, and Hex still not open, the park had fewer operating attractions than it did on the same day last year. (Not even counting The Dungeons).

I once waited 40min for Rita from the pre-2010 FT merge point (just before the scaffold tunnel). That was with the ride running 2 trains. If they managed to actually fill the whole queue you'd be there all day. I don't think it's a case of not updating queue times, more that they just don't realise how little the queue actually moves.