• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2012

There's been a few accidents in America. Will post details later if I get chance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Screamscape said:
Park News - (11/12/12) A woman’s leg somehow became trapped just outside the log on the Enchanted Forest Log Flume at Rainbow’s End in New Zealand. In the end firefighters had to come in and cut apart a section of the log to free her leg, which was badly bruised but otherwise she only had minor injuries treated and released by a nearby hospital. No statement has been issued yet by the park to explain just what happened. There are some assumptions that perhaps she had slipped while trying to climb on board the log, which may have resulted in her leg getting stuck. According to aerial photos of the park, it appears that the log flume uses a turntable style loading platform which would better explain how her leg could have become wedged.

Ouch! Am I the only one whose first thought would be "Ahh, they're going to have to buy a whole new log, that'll cost them a fortune..."?

Guys I know I'm working in a time warp, but can you remember the Hopi Hari accident on their Intamin drop tower back in February? I've seen some Youtube videos from the day, but I found an article on Screamscape saying there was aerial helicopter footage showing the car dropping and the restraint flying up? I've had a nose around out of pure curiosity, but I can't find said footage.. Can anyone recall this?

Sazzle said:
Guys I know I'm working in a time warp, but can you remember the Hopi Hari accident on their Intamin drop tower back in February? I've seen some Youtube videos from the day, but I found an article on Screamscape saying there was aerial helicopter footage showing the car dropping and the restraint flying up? I've had a nose around out of pure curiosity, but I can't find said footage.. Can anyone recall this?

You can find the video here. :)

Pretty shocking routines they have there if that's what happened on the ride. No checks, the seat apparently "shouldn't have been in use" but no one told the ride team. Really dodgy stuff.

Personally speaking, that clip of the restraint opening on the drop is perhaps the most terrifying video of any ride I've ever seen.

Never seen that one before. I guess the crane was there carrying out an emergency evacuation? I've always wondered how they go about that safely.

Knotts Berry Farm not getting the best press this year, after their windseaker shutdown they have a nasty looking accident on one of their stage coaches

http://ktla.com/2012/12/30/three-hurt-in-knotts-berry-farm-stagecoach-ride-accident/

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/3-Hospitalized-After-Knotts-Berry-Farm-Ride-Accident-185251482.html

548098_10151315158069614_910673470_n.jpg

Not really sure what to class this as, but I'll post it here anyway. I read about it n Screamscape this morning:

Park News - (12/31/12) The local news reports that a weird incident took place this week at Hopi Hari. According to the story, a couple of teenagers on the park’s wooden coaster (Montezum) reported that their lapbar popped open near the start of the ride, whiling going up the lift hill. They complained of this and saying they were injured during the ride trying to hold it down, with the aid of brother who rode in the row ahead, but during a on-ride photo taken of the couple, nothing really seems amiss, and the male in the last row is actually holding one arm up in the air instead of hanging on as they claimed. The coaster was inspected following the claims and nothing was found to be out of order.
Hopi Hari is still reeling from the deadly accident that took place on the La Tour Eiffel ride where a faulty restraint was responsible for the death of the rider. On the surface this initially seems like it could be a group trying to copy the accident claims for their own financial gain, as the teenage couple is already saying they will try to file a lawsuit against the park.

Sounds fishy!

Personally speaking, that clip of the restraint opening on the drop is perhaps the most terrifying video of any ride I've ever seen.

Completely agree with that. I was gobsmacked when I first watched that video, proper left me speechless!

And I think this has to be, without doubt, the most shocking photo that the amusement park industry will ever see:

mindbender_crash.jpg

Ok, so why isn't the image showing?

Lordy said:

Completely agree with that. I was gobsmacked when I first watched that video, proper left me speechless!

And I think this has to be, without doubt, the most shocking photo that the amusement park industry will ever see:

mindbender_crash.jpg

Ok, so why isn't the image showing?

Try just porting the link to where the image is hosted itself rather than just embedding it so people can just visit the site. AFAIK some hosting sites are funny about embedding images :)

This what you're looking for?

(Moderator Comment: Image added to spoiler tags as it includes a covered corpse, be aware before clicking)
Mindbender_Crash.jpg
Its a picture of the 1986 crash on Mindbender in Galaxyland. Pretty horrific crash to be honest:

On the evening of June 14, 1986, after the yellow train (train #1) completed the second inverted loop, it encountered one of three areas of uplift before the third and final loop. Missing bolts on the left inside wheel assembly of the last car of the four car train caused the bogey assembly to disengage the track with a full load of riders. This caused the final car to fishtail wildly, disengaging the lap bars as it collided with support structures, thereby throwing off passengers and losing speed. The train entered the third and final inverted loop, but did not have the speed to complete the loop. The train stalled at the top, then slid backwards, crashing into a concrete pillar. Three people were killed during the accident and a fourth man was almost killed.

At the time of the accident the park was packed with people who were attending a concert. The ride had shut down twice, as the operator had heard a metallic noise from the train prior to the accident. Despite running the trains empty, the source of the problem could not be located by the maintenance staff, and the regular operation of the ride resumed until the accident occurred. With the stage located atop the jumping fountains, many had a horrific view as the band played and the coaster derailed. The Mindbender was immediately closed. An investigation and inquiry was launched that revealed that there were problems in the translation from German to English of operational and maintenance information from Schwarzkopf, the German coaster manufacturer. Additional issues with quality control were found as a result of the manufacturer going bankrupt during delivery of the ride, and portions of the ride being finished by the receiver of the firm.
Source

A bit off topic as it wasn't in 2012, but interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: Whoops! Didn't even see that in the photo, thanks for covering it up Dave.

The Psychoaster said:

Pretty shocking routines they have there if that's what happened on the ride. No checks, the seat apparently "shouldn't have been in use" but no one told the ride team. Really dodgy stuff.

Thanks for that!

Absolutely horrific video that made me feel genuinely sick. I cannot fathom how such a catastrophic mistake could have been made... if that's down to human error, I really hope the justice system catches up with whoever was responsible.

Sazzle said:
The Psychoaster said:

Thanks for that!

Absolutely horrific video that made me feel genuinely sick. I cannot fathom how such a catastrophic mistake could have been made... if that's down to human error, I really hope the justice system catches up with whoever was responsible.

That real makes you think about safety on rides, thanks for sharing that for something that's there for amusement

Makes you realise the added safety of belts too, if they had fitted them there would be no major issue