• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2012

Damn! Do we know if the rider was ejected, or did they cling on/remain restrained with what was left?

Well I would hope that the lap bar part of the restraint would hold them in. Lets face it, what Intamin calls an "OTSR" is really just an over shoulder lap bar with plastic bits added to thwack you in the neck.

The rider was fine. Just a little shaken up. No one has been injured, but the ride is shut pending investigation and repair.

Hopefully they remove the stupid OTSR's which are completely unnecessary anyway for a ride like FB and ruin the experience due to the pain.

Re: Re: Ride/park accidents in 2012

The Psychoaster said:
Hopefully they remove the stupid OTSR's which are completely unnecessary anyway for a ride like FB and ruin the experience due to the pain.

Given that part of the restraint just failed, I doubt the park's response will be 'less restraints'.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Ride/park accidents in 2012

Sam said:
The Psychoaster said:

Given that part of the restraint just failed, I doubt the park's response will be 'less restraints'.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

It failed but I imagine the fact that it failed made no difference to the safety of the rider in question. The bottom part of the OTSR is what keeps you in your seat on Intamin restraints not the squidgy plastic bits that actually broke. Surely this proves the pointlessness of having them there at all.

Intamin would fix that restraint free. Getting lapbars only would need modifications to the train resulting in £100,000s in additional cost. Why would they even consider it?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Exactly, this just proves that the shoulder parts of an Intamin restraint are worthless. In the ideal world, they would realise this, and say "just cut the stoopid things off then" :p

Another incident of a bit falling off a ride, but this time it hit someone.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 74792.html

504565ed71c57.image.jpg

Via Screamscape:

The Yomiuri Shimbun said:
Man dies after being hit by roller coaster

FUKUSHIMA--A man doing maintenance work died after he was wedged between a running roller coaster and a rail at an amusement park in Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture, on Saturday.

Three primary school students who were riding the roller coaster were unhurt.

According to Koriyama Police Station, Masahiro Kaneko, 48, was doing maintenance work about 50 meters away from the departure platform of the ride in Dream Land at Koriyama Culture Park. The roller coaster, comprising six cars that reach a top speed of 65 kph, hit him at around 1:55 p.m. Shortly after, he died from blood loss.

Police are investigating why Kaneko was inspecting the ride while it was in operation.

(Sep. 11, 2012)

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T120910003016.htm

Photo of the ride:

6v8g00kkai28lo61oa42e3.jpg

Yep, looks like a death trap.

I would have thought given the radiation levels in Fukushima, getting run over by a roller coaster is the lesser of two evils.

Agreed Diogo

A quick death would be better....

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't look so bad. At least they have some nice views, warmth and fresh air. :p

Well at least the seats and the things that hold the seats look substantial. If it was Peradactle (However it's spelt) at Flamingo Land then it would be a lot scarier as it's just a chains holding you up. :p