• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2012

Spark said:
Damn worrying if you needed the toilet!

I'm guessing a few of the engineers received a bit of unexpected golden rain shower whilst they were trying to repair the ride ;)

An over-eager teenager who pushed his way to the front of the line at a Six Flags water slide before diving down headfirst has been hospitalised after he tumbled over the edge and dropped 60ft to the ground.

Patient crowds waiting in line at Los Angeles' Hurricane Harbor on Sunday gasped in horror as the 19-year-old landed on a barbed wire fence and was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries on the park's last day of the year.

Witnesses say the victim had muscled his way past lifeguards on the Venom Drop slide and launched head first down the slide causing him to loose balance and fall over the edge within a matter of seconds.

A consistent crowd-pleaser, The Venom Drop is just one of the slides that makes up Black Snake Summit, the tallest ride at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor at 75 feet.

Rules of the park state that guests on the winding 650ft long Black Snake Summit travel feet first for safety.

Robert Shank, another witness who watched the scene unravel explained how lifeguards had tried to stop the man but 'he fought the lifeguards off and he dove straight, so instead of going feet first he dove head first, then tumbled on the slide and then over the edge.'

Mr Shank spoke of how 'everyone in line saw the fall take place' and even managed to snap some pictures of the fence and the emergency services who rushed to the scene.

Another witness has Tweeted: 'Went to Hurricane Harbor today & a dude pushed to the front of Venom Drop, went head first, went over the side & crashed into fence.'
In a statement, Six Flags explained: 'He forced his way past park lifeguards and put himself and other guests at risk by going down the slide in the wrong position.

'Park medical staff and local paramedics were immediately called to the scene.'

Park official and authorities are investigating whether alcohol was involved while the man's identity has not yet been revealed.
While LA County Fire Department told ABC 7 that he was rushed to the nearest hospital with life threatening injuries, sheriff's officials confirmed that he had broken no bones or suffered any internal injuries.
He was reported to be breathing and conscious at the time he was taken to get medical help and is still being treated.

Full article here.

I was gonna say he deserved it, but...a 60 feet fall AND landing on a barbed wire fence? OUCH!

It looks like a modern octopus, like this

5_Octopus.jpg

I've never seen one like that in real life, but imagine it is similar to the spinny ride near Zeus at Asterix. An older style version which looked quite similar used to be common at travelling fairs, but I've not seen one for years.

Danny said:
An over-eager teenager who pushed his way to the front of the line at a Six Flags water slide before diving down headfirst has been hospitalised after he tumbled over the edge and dropped 60ft to the ground.

Patient crowds waiting in line at Los Angeles' Hurricane Harbor on Sunday gasped in horror as the 19-year-old landed on a barbed wire fence and was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries on the park's last day of the year.

Witnesses say the victim had muscled his way past lifeguards on the Venom Drop slide and launched head first down the slide causing him to loose balance and fall over the edge within a matter of seconds.

A consistent crowd-pleaser, The Venom Drop is just one of the slides that makes up Black Snake Summit, the tallest ride at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor at 75 feet.

Rules of the park state that guests on the winding 650ft long Black Snake Summit travel feet first for safety.

Robert Shank, another witness who watched the scene unravel explained how lifeguards had tried to stop the man but 'he fought the lifeguards off and he dove straight, so instead of going feet first he dove head first, then tumbled on the slide and then over the edge.'

Mr Shank spoke of how 'everyone in line saw the fall take place' and even managed to snap some pictures of the fence and the emergency services who rushed to the scene.

Another witness has Tweeted: 'Went to Hurricane Harbor today & a dude pushed to the front of Venom Drop, went head first, went over the side & crashed into fence.'
In a statement, Six Flags explained: 'He forced his way past park lifeguards and put himself and other guests at risk by going down the slide in the wrong position.

'Park medical staff and local paramedics were immediately called to the scene.'

Park official and authorities are investigating whether alcohol was involved while the man's identity has not yet been revealed.
While LA County Fire Department told ABC 7 that he was rushed to the nearest hospital with life threatening injuries, sheriff's officials confirmed that he had broken no bones or suffered any internal injuries.
He was reported to be breathing and conscious at the time he was taken to get medical help and is still being treated.

Full article here.

Definitely deserved this, whatever happend to good things come to those who wait?

Looopings reports that there's been a major incident on Crush's Coaster, leaving it closed.

Looopings said:
One of the most popular attractions of the Walt Disney Studios, the rollercoaster Crush's Coaster , is closed until further notice due to a serious accident. On the Internet refers to an incident that occurred last night. In addition, an employee seriously injured. Further information is still lacking. Disney was not available for comment this afternoon.

I think Screamscape mentioned that it was involving a member of staff. Don't know much else about it though. :(

I really hope it's open when I go in just over a month. But seriously Disney do not have a good safety record do they?

Natalie said:
I really hope it's open when I go in just over a month. But seriously Disney do not have a good safety record do they?

Debatable. They just have loads of parks, hugely higher guest figures, and their rides get through way more people per hour than anyone else's. And their opening hours are much longer.

I bet per guest they have a below-average accident rate.

They don't have that many more parks really, and less roller coasters in each than in your average park. Isn't this the second Crush incident?

As far as I remember the only other Crush incident was some tool falling down the stairs during an evac a few years ago.

I'd say Sam is right, the sheer volume of rides Disney give compared to everyone else makes them statistically more likely to have an incident.

If the initial report is correct and it is a worker when the ride is closed then there is normally a fairly obvious bit of procedure been ballsed up in those circumstances, and it would not be something that would ever have caused risk to a guest.

The only guest based incident at DLRP I recall recently was the Thunder Mountain falling scenery which messed up someones face last year.