• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2013/2014

I know Intamin push boundaries, which I respect and industry needs, (it's definitely better off for having them in that regard) but this is really unacceptable.

Have to agree with Maelstrom. After doing Green Lantern at Magic Mountain, I don't think I've ever been forced against a restraint that much on a ride before. The forces on the ride are pretty damn uncomfortable if you're on the outside of one of the corners on the ride, it can really fling you out. I think out of all the coasters I've done over the years, this is one of the very few where I've wondered whether a restraint would hold due to the weight being put against it.

Me thinks someone will have been splashing around in the water and caught their hand or something? Tis the only thing I can think of!

1. How the hell do you lose the tips of your fingers doing anything that doesn't involve blades?
2. I can't say I'd be surprised if the 18 year old's death had absolutely nothing to do with Intamin. I was in Spain when this happened, and they are so indifferent to fully checking restraints. Half the train on Abismo (Maurher Sonhe Sky Loop) when we got on it a second time wasn't checked! Benin did in fact click in my restrain on Abismo, as I couldn't quite do it (wow so weak).
3. If it was the restraints, let's not jump straight to "INTAMIN RAH RAH RAH" as it may also be down to lack of maintenance by the park, which caused a restraint to possibly crack. Or, given the temperatures in Spain, the metal could expand and contract with the temperature changes, which could also cause a crack.
4. If none of this is the case, please resort to "INTAMIN RAH RAH RAH"

1. How the hell do you lose the tips of your fingers doing anything that doesn't involve blades?

Crush injury, (It occurs when a body part is subjected to a high degree of force or pressure, usually after being squeezed between two heavy objects.)

Tear injury, ( It occurs when a tissue is pulled with such force that it causes it to split )

If the restraints aren't closed properly, a decent ride system wouldn't let the ride dispatch. Short of the person doing something drastically silly, I can't see how this isn't Intamin's fault, at least in a small way.

RMT managed to shift 4 new coasters after the issues with new Texas Giant. It will take something major for parks to discount Intamin.

When something happens once, maybe twice you can maybe suggest it was operator error. Intamin however have a lot of restraint failures to their name and someone should be considering their design and quality.

RMT managed to shift 4 new coasters after the issues with new Texas Giant. It will take something major for parks to discount Intamin.

But not all RMCs use the Gerstlauer trains seen on NTG. I think it is only the wooden coaster converts that do. Also I don't think we know for sure who was to blame in that incident.

:)

Maybe we should all wait for the full report before jumping to conclusions? What if the restraints had cracked due to the heat, and it was wholly down to a lack of maintenance in the park? Being stuck on one idea and not thinking of the possibilities isn't going to help anyone.

As Dave has said though this is not a one off for Intamin. They have an awful safety record compared to all of the other major coaster manufactures. That is not just a coincidence. Because of that people find it hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Of course we need to wait for the report of what happened to be sure and sometimes it is the park that's to blame but it just always seems to be Intamin.

:)

It is a shame it happens, intamin do make some of the best rides but these failures on restraints and casualties could make it to be the end of them if they get sued or other parks stop buying their rides, sometimes it can be the riders or operators fault but it probably is the worst safety records of all major manufacturers. I say completely redesign the restraint system and make them safe and comfortable, like b&m's and Macks as they have a very good safety record and are comfy at the same time.

Maybe we should all wait for the full report before jumping to conclusions? What if the restraints had cracked due to the heat, and it was wholly down to a lack of maintenance in the park? Being stuck on one idea and not thinking of the possibilities isn't going to help anyone.
Having said this though, Intamin have a duty to design rides that are fit to operate in the climate that the ride is built for. Of course it could be park maintenance but if there are cracks and things forming because of heat, then Intamin's ride design needs to be looked at.

Now, let's not forget that rides in the UK have had parts break due to it getting hot...

Parts break primarily due to a temperature change as they find a stability in a stable temperature and it's the expansion and contraction that causes fatigue, hence why Oblvion hates the heat but Shikra loves it. Was the temperature waving around significantly?

Lets not forget B&M, Arrow, Mack, Gerstlaur and Premier have rides in Mediterranean climates and their harness failures/ incidents are minimal or non existent. Intamin have an issue!!!