• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

There has been another incident, this time at Leeds Castle in Kent and involving a tea cup ride. One of the cups detached and flew through the air, trapping children underneath it.

(Can't link article as I'm on my phone)

The bit I'm wondering about is, how on earth did he survive a 130 foot fall? o_O

Yeah, right. And from a rotating booster ride, so you could assume that he'd be projected towards the ground rather than just falling. Handy position of the canopy, so close to those giant spikes too!

Nothing is 100% safe or 100% dangerous. There are people that do survive high falls, even people surviving when their parachute and reserve fails.
Oh yeah! You reminded me of that story where a woman had both her parachutes sabotaged yet she survived. That was a pretty crazy story

It astounds me that while he was lying motionless on the canvas people were taking photos and waving at him! :(:mad:
What is wrong with this world? :confused:

It astounds me that while he was lying motionless on the canvas people were taking photos and waving at him! :(:mad:

It's become unfortunately clear that social media and the thirst for likes or attention in modern day means that grabbing footage/photos comes first as opposed to actually helping anyone or calling for assistance.

I'm now convinced this accident didn't happen and was staged for the purpose of the clickbait so the camera presence isn't really surprising.

Yes, the BBC have updated their article:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-47857392

Sounds like part of the ride (theming?) detached and stuck a passerby. Luckily the injuries aren't thought to be serious, but it's still not good.

[Edit to add]
More photos here:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/175...nd-ambulance-service-at-brighton-palace-pier/

You can see the missing part of the 'aircraft' on one of the cars.

9686833.jpg

Last edited:
Manager Mitchell Powley added that an attendant had been sacked and staff retrained.
And that to me is a concern. The incident was a human failure and that action does not prevent a similar human failure recurring.

You shouldn't have single points of failure in any system where that failure can result in injury or death. What I would ask is "Why is it possible to dispatch a train with the harnesses released?", and then make a technical interlock in addition to retraining.