• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

Worker in 'critical' condition after incident at South Shields amusement park

A worker is in critical condition after an incident at a seaside amusement park.

Emergency services were called to Ocean Beach Amusement Park, in South Shields, shortly after midday on Sunday 19 March.

A 52-year-old worker was found to have suffered serious head injuries in what police described as a "workplace accident".

He remains in a critical but stable condition at the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) hospital in Newcastle.

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: "We have contacted the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and are working with them to establish exactly what happened."

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) spokesperson said: “We are aware of this incident and assisting Northumbria Police to establish what happened.”

This is my local park and it’s sad to see a worker get seriously injured.

I was actually quite worried about the park’s future at the end of last year when they unexpectedly scaled back the Winter Wonderland event they were due to hold and announced that because of staffing costs and the rise in energy prices that the park’s rides wouldn’t be operating (leaving just the ice rink and arcade, as well as bowling, and laser tag). So it was great to see them back again this season and with some good new investment. They are replacing their tiny little log flume with a larger Reverchon model, have installed a new good looking SBF Visa ‘Jump & Smile’ to replace their Crazy Frog, and are also replacing their Breakdance and Pirate Ship with different ones (their previous Breakdance wasn’t owned by them and is now travelling). So it’s good to see that the park is on the up, I hope the worker has a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Flambards have confirmed that Space Race, the enclosed super bob flat ride, is officially retired following an incident last July.
They have shortlisted three potential replacement attractions according to the BBC.

"A HSE spokesperson said its investigation found a part of the metal frame on one of the ride's cars had failed."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-65190288

It's a shame, as I quite enjoyed it when I rode it various times over the years. It's done quite well to last about 30 years. Be interesting to see what they end up replacing it with.

Flambards have confirmed that Space Race, the enclosed super bob flat ride, is officially retired following an incident last July.
They have shortlisted three potential replacement attractions according to the BBC.

"A HSE spokesperson said its investigation found a part of the metal frame on one of the ride's cars had failed."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-65190288
Well that's a novel idea, getting rid of an old flat ride and putting something new in its place.

A wagon of Objectif Mars at Futuroscope caught fire today and resulted in two injured passengers.
Article in French; if you can't understand French, use a translating service.