• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

Eeeesh! How is that even possible? Surely even with a counterweight, these rides should be designed to bottom-heavy enough to self-right in a fail situation?

Zamperla everybody. Their PR in America is going well....

Last edited:
Update on one of the injured from the London fairground incident last week, she's doing OK but others remain in hospital. First time I think I have seen it confirmed it was the Froggit ride, a Safeco (lol) Jump & Smile, the ride has also been removed from operator Bensons website.

And an update from last years fatal derailment of Jetline, with things looking very poor from Grona Lund. A pretty damning overview
...was caused by deficiencies in the ordering, manufacturing and testing of new support arms for the Jetline trains, the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority said. It said the support arms weren't sufficiently strong.

Eeeesh! How is that even possible? Surely even with a counterweight, these rides should be designed to bottom-heavy enough to self-right in a fail situation?
It’s relatively common for rides like that with a counterweight. Same thing with the Chance/ARM Inverter and its design flaw - if the power fails while it’s upside down, it’s stuck there.

Counterweight can’t be too light or it will struggle to invert at all.

I guess it depends on the fault but I'm surprised there isn't some override they can do.

My memory is very hazy now but I'm sure Ripsaw had a battery override that could be used in an emergency by Technical Services.

Counterweight can’t be too light or it will struggle to invert at all.
The counterweight is supposed to be just lighter than the rider side unladen, so certainly heavier with riders, so failsafe is not inverted. Counterweights are a matter of economy, not necessity. If you look at something like vortex or cyclonator, they gain plenty of height with no counterweight and energy wise could invert with not a lot more juice.

A counterweight ride needs to be unstable at 180 degrees so any form of issue and it self rights. The only other possibility would be bearings locked out from lack of maintenance but they're more likely to fail than stick.