• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

Walibi Belgium. Man falls from rapids boat and is swept down the channel after a boat filled with water.

Easy to see how this has happened, given how intensely soaking this damn thing. Thankfully the man didn't drown and managed to escape the channel.
That could’ve been just as horrific as the Drayton Manor incident. Glad the guy got out (mostly) uninjured.

The surge of incidents over the past 5-10 years on Intamin rapids rides is clearly still a major problem. I think it’s only a matter of time before some sort of mandate comes in to either improve the safety aspects of them or go down the Towers/Drayton/Thorpe avenue of toning them down and stationing staff every 20 feet.

There's been some absolutely horrendous tragedys occurring with these things now and it does seem amazing to me that the bigger theme/amusement park operators haven't just shuttered them and built something new on the land available before anything happens.

There's been some absolutely horrendous tragedys occurring with these things now and it does seem amazing to me that the bigger theme/amusement park operators haven't just shuttered them and built something new on the land available before anything happens.
yeah, I am quite surprised merlin haven't ripped them out yet, they are probably some of the most dangerous rides in a theme park (dosn't mean it is unsafe, we are comparing to rollercoasters here) although I could see thorpes leaving within the next 10-20 years (it is a nice plot and is never really busy)

According to MetroUK on Tiktok, a technical fault in an empty gondola caused the fire, which then spread to another.
(sorry I've not got the intelligence to link the video!)

Another bit of news from Margate as the Scenic Railway appears to have experienced significant track damage:

IMG_3431.jpeg
(Image courtesy of the Looopings article linked below)

Kent Online article states the incident happened on 10 August:

Looopings article below if you fancy an alternate language read…!

Another bit of news from Margate as the Scenic Railway appears to have experienced significant track damage:

IMG_3431.jpeg
(Image courtesy of the Looopings article linked below)

Kent Online article states the incident happened on 10 August:

Looopings article below if you fancy an alternate language read…!

How dose that even happen? did something break and stick down bellow the train

How dose that even happen? did something break and stick down bellow the train

My guess is the on board brake opperator has deployed it where is nothing on the track to resist against. I'm making two guesses though, that the brakes used are friction pads and that there are specific braking zones?

Just heard this on the news bulletin when listening to the radio, so assumed it was a lot more serious than the pictures suggest.

Just heard this on the news bulletin when listening to the radio, so assumed it was a lot more serious than the pictures suggest.
probably not, it probably got E-stopped for some reason and the arm couldn't be lowered (They dont automatically lower to the ground when power is lost as if you E-stop a ride because someone gets in the ride area under it it could come down and crush them) so they had to get the fire department out, that is probably it and the news is doing news things and making it out to be horrific (Assuming this is the skegness one)

Some rides do lower automatically (Enterprises being the obvious one) and it seems mad to not have a method to lower in case of e-stops

Some rides do lower automatically (Enterprises being the obvious one) and it seems mad to not have a method to lower in case of e-stops
the rides that lower automatically are typically older this is before some incidents happened and they changed to stop the lowering. there are ways to lower them, but it is via maintenance methods (e.g releasing a valve)

OK, now there is footage of what led to the ride stopping. Lucky no one was really hurt, flung from the cars or worse the ride cars ripping apart.

That looks like a complete failure of the rides drive system, the only thing that would make them swing like that would be an sudden change in speed. An estop on one of those kills the power so the change in speed is gradual. I don't think it's luck it didn't hurt anyone or rip itelf apart, that sort of force should be well within tolerances by design.