• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

So Dreamworld has re-opened and of course the area where the rapids are located is closed off, as you would expect.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...y/news-story/35c1afc24fc6fcf44aaf87a56f2825f0

I am not sure how I feel about this part:
"Dreamworld is still in the planning stages of a permanent memorial to honour the victims".
Having a permanent reminder of the tragedy in the park will resonate differently from person to person. I hope whatever
the final idea is doesn't come across as a tacky business ploy and is a well received gesture

No idea what sort of form this memorial will take, but I suppose this is a better idea than simply flattening the area and building a new attraction/ride on top. The park have said they're inviting the families of those involved to help create the memorial, so I guess their own views will ultimately decide what this memorial will be. Judging by the park's response to date, I'm sure it's going to be something respectful and thoughtful rather than anything for business purposes.

When the ride was delayed, netting was applied along the slide's route:

verruckt_2.jpg

On the hill after the slide's initial drop, the boat flew off the slide itself and into the netting above. The netting is helded up by arched brackets attached to the slide. Not the nicest way to go :(.

The most ridiculous thing is that the boat flying off the slide happened during testing of the ride, and this was the reason the netting was installed along with some padding on the bottom of the slide to slow it down. Why the impact of hitting the netting at such a speed wasn't thought about is beyond me though.

Edit: After doing a bit more reading, there seems to be more of a suggestion that the seatbelt (velcro type) came loose and the kid came out of the boat rather than the boat itself flying up. Either way, it's still something that really should have been considered.
So the operations director has now been charged with involuntary manslaughter:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43525599
Hardly surprising, considering the problems they had when testing. It looked like a death trap from day one.

The full indictment can be read here, and it makes for chilling reading.

Schlitterbahn are strongly denying the charges, although clear facts point towards the ride simply not being safe. I suppose many of the true facts will come out in the trial.

:)

Are you able to build this ride in NL2? If so how does it perform compared to real life?

Schlitterbahn are strongly denying the charges, although clear facts point towards the ride simply not being safe. I suppose many of the true facts will come out in the trial.

That made me feel physically sick. I do hope this is an isolated occurrence at such parks although I fear that not be be the case.

Surprised that the Daily Mail aren't sending a helicopter to circle round the park for the next 3 years...

I read through the indictment yesterday, and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. I was absolutely astounded at the attitudes of those involved. Just completely terrible. :(

What a bunch of crooks :mad: (I would have typed a worse word had this been in the Tavern). I hope all of them are given the maximum terms on all 20 accounts.

That being said the amount of injuries in the short space of time needs to be looked into and maybe some sensible safety reforms come out of this in the future. In a day and age where H&S can be described as OTT at times nobody deserves to go to a leisure park and not return :(

Agreed that this is shocking reading. From the revelation that the ride was competitively built to impress a Discovery Channel producer, it gets worse and worse. A literal disaster waiting to happen.

I know people get hung up about red tape in the UK and Europe, but this is why specific legislation and industry standards are very important. Unfortunately, general attitudes across the USA, and specifically in largely red-state Texas, mean something as appalling as this could happen again.

H&S is invariable more and more self certification, which is the case here, they self certified the ride as safe when it wasn't.

You don't want to get me started on some of the horrors I've seen over the years, and it'll just get worse, fortunately European parks tend to have more integrity, but they could do the same if they wanted.

H&S is invariable more and more self certification, which is the case here, they self certified the ride as safe when it wasn't.

You don't want to get me started on some of the horrors I've seen over the years, and it'll just get worse, fortunately European parks tend to have more integrity, but they could do the same if they wanted.

Don't rides need an ADIPS certificate to operate? At least over here?

Also, the guy in charge has been arrested without bail, and his charge has been bumped up to 2nd degree murder
https://www.wycocourtks.org/uploads/4/4/1/2/4412070/indictment.pdf

The ADIPS scheme is, technically, not mandatory. The only thing that is required under H&S regulations is that rides receive annual inspections. The ADIPS scheme does, however, represent industry best practice - if you don't follow it and something goes wrong you'd have a very difficult task demonstrating that whatever it was you were doing instead was appropriate. Part of the ADIPS scheme is that the design of every new ride is independently reviewed before it enters service, so you don't get people designing their own rides and opening them to the public without scrutiny.

http://www.adips.co.uk/adips-the-industry-standard/
http://www.adips.co.uk/the-system-for-safety-of-amusement-devices/

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but a fairground ride has collapsed in France, resulting in one fatality. It looks like a Paratrooper ride.

French fairground carousel hurls man to his death and injures 12 others as it crashes to the ground
  • Accident happened on a ride consisting of 14 cars attached to a central carousel
  • Dead father, 40, who was at the fair with his two children, had been on the ride
  • Four children are among those being treated for injuries at Neuville-sur-Saone
A man has died after a fairground ride in central France collapsed, sending cars hurtling into the ground.

The accident happened on an attraction consisting of 14 cars attached to a central rotating carousel, Laurent Buffard, deputy mayor of Neuville-sur-Saone near Lyon, said.

The collapse resulted in the pods hurtling to the ground and the occupants being thrown out.

4ABB386F00000578-5567089-image-a-111_1522584417923.jpg

+5
The accident happened on an attraction consisting of 14 cars attached to a central rotating carousel, Laurent Buffard, deputy mayor of Neuville-sur-Saone near Lyon, said

4ABB387700000578-5567089-image-a-108_1522584361189.jpg

+5
The collapse resulted in the pods hurtling to the ground and the occupants being thrown out. Pictured: The scene after the tragedy

4ABB36A900000578-5567089-image-a-110_1522584414900.jpg

+5
Four children are among those being treated for injuries. An eight-year-old boy is among them

The dead father, 40, who was at the fair with his two children, had been on the ride when it collapsed.

Buffard said: 'The carousel fell suddenly and hit the ground hard.'

He added that the tragedy was caused by a technical fault.

Four children are among those being treated for injuries.

An eight-year-old boy is among them.

4ABB40DB00000578-5567089-image-a-109_1522584376399.jpg

+5
The dead father, 40, who was at the fair with his two children, had been on the ride when it collapsed

4ABB369700000578-5567089-image-a-112_1522584421672.jpg

+5
Psychologists have been sent to the scene to help treat any victims who might be suffering from shock

The ride was composed of three rotating axis with baskets carrying people in pairs and Buffard told BFM television that one of the axis somehow hit the ground.

Meanwhile psychologists have been sent to the scene to help treat any victims who might be suffering from shock.

An investigation has been launched and the fairground shut down.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urls-man-death-injures-12-crashes-ground.html

Wow, when I first read the BBC link I was thinking "Why's the park the only one being charged? What about the people that made the ride?" and turns out not only is it a DIY job but nobody designing it has any sort of engineering or related training!!

The Schlitterbahn owner's had his charge bumped up to second degree murder now. I found it interesting that they're classing the slide as a deadly weapon in some of the charges.

The ride in France is a bit weird, it looks like the whole thing went up and down and it seems it went all the way when it shouldn't. I wonder if it was a hydraulic failure, or something else?