• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rides that make you go 'bleurgh!'

Laura

TS Member
Favourite Ride
blue fire Megacoaster
I'm sick on rides quite a lot. I say 'on' rides, I've only been sick once on the brake run of Air, and it wasn't anything spectacular.

But I suffer from motion sickness and have to take a LOT of anti-sickness tablets (I use cinnarizine/Stugeron as it makes me the least drowsy) when I visit theme parks. Anyone who has seen me at a theme park will tell you I look tired and doughy in the face due to a combination of an early start, nausea, and medication. I never look good in park photos.

Even with all those drugs in me, I still get sick on rides. So here's my top worst coasters for motion sickness...what are yours?

1. Th13teen - somehow the 'tame' nature of the hills and turns is worse than any inversion. Combined with the backwards section (which I wasn't expecting the first time I rode) this has to be my number 1 'Stugeron-resistant' coaster.

2. Air - another 'tame' coaster. If I was in charge of my own flight I wouldn't take such a convoluted route. It's a shame because I managed this ONCE when the tablets worked and I really enjoyed it.

3. Tonnerre de Zeus/Megafobia - a common element with wooden coasters seems to be the dreaded bunnyhop, which I'm sure needs no explanation.

Interestingly, I am absolutely fine with drop towers (I love them), but anything that has multiple drops/launches (e.g. Bounce at Oakwood) are a no-no. I'll put up with The Tower of Terror because I adore the theme and it's actually my favourite dark ride in the world.

I can also handle gyro-swings with outward facing seats (Maelstrom at Drayton Manor) but not inward (Vortex at Thorpe Park).

No rides as such make me feel 'bleurgh' as you mean. I'm quite lucky in that sense. :p

However, Enterprise is a ride which has physically made me vomit before and I feel like doing it after every ride, but this is simply due to it spinning at a quick speed. It's quite strange as I'm fine on Marauder's Mayhem and Spinball...

Eagles Claw at Lightwater Valley holds the honour of being the only ride to make me turn physically green.

Vile machine!

Can't remember the name, but the Afterburner at Winter Wonderland last year nearly did make me sick. It went on for 5 minutes!

Also, on my recent rides on Colossus and Nemesis Inferno, the vision in my eyes tend to go really funny for some reason

There was a particularly intense Waltzer at Hull fair that made me feel ill when I was fairly young. It's sort of put me off them for life.

I've never actually thrown up on a ride but I came very close a few years ago, again at Hull Fair. I had just eaten a travelling fair-spec burger and decided to ride the cheap knock-off Top Spin.

knutsford08o.jpg

Unlike Huss models where the pivot for the gondola is well above your head, on this one, it's pretty much in line with you. It means it flips really easily but it's also really nauseating. It's lucky that it pauses mid-cycle as it gave me chance to recuperate. I was definitely on the brink of seeing my burger again.

It's not the flips I found bad it was the "almost" flips where it doesn't quite make it over and rocks back and forth for ages. It's not a nice motion.

Dar said:
Eagles Claw at Lightwater Valley holds the honour of being the only ride to make me turn physically green.

Vile machine!

Nah, Eagle's Claw is awesome, one of my favourite flats!

Pirate ships like Blade or anything with a repetitive, gentle motion to it (NO LAUGHING AT THE BACK) turns my guts.

I used to be fine up until about a year ago, but now, like Bear, even the smallest swinging ships such as Voodoo at Flamingo Land are enough to torment my tummy.

Once I had a McDonalds in Dragons Fury single rider queue, I had just finished and was put straight on. I almost saw my burger again on the first drop but luckily my stomach is made of steel and kept the food in. :cool:

Sam said:
For some reason, this Mack spinner made me feel very very nauseous:

9d1jog00ka2neaijm2g623.jpg

I have to admit, EuroMir at Europa has the same effect with me if travelling backwards down the main bit of the ride. Still love it though, even if my stomach doesnt :p

Hex, oddly enough :-/ I used to be fine, but started feeling really motion sick from the back end of last year!

Clearly getting old :(!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

never thrown up because of a ride, but Enterprise messes me up, and if I do Eagle's Claw a few times in succession it starts to make me go funny.

No ride has genuinely made me vomit, although I've come close a couple of times. Back in May last year, I'd gone to Flambards in Helston for the day with family, and went on The Thunderbolt, a Superrides International Superstar (SS6).
thunderbolt-816x600.jpg

I've been on it before, and I was always fine afterwards, but on this occasion, I came off feeling a bit unwell. Not sure what caused it, either. (For the record, this ride was used on the Mall during the Millennium Celebrations, and it was called 'Wild Thing', which is still evident around the ride.)

A few years previous to this, I went on Extreme Force (again at Flambards), which is a Keith Emmet Skymaster-style ride. It's a floorless model as well, which is interesting. This one time basically involved me going on it about six or seven times in a row, with very little waiting in between each time. I didn't feel very good afterwards for a while. :p

A few years ago after visiting Fresh Fish and Chips and not realising how much I'd get with the fish, chips and extra mushy peas, riding Nemesis and Air straight afterwards made me feel a little queasy. That's it. :p

I felt awful after going on Flip Flop in Flamingo Land. Never again. At least I've never thrown up from a ride.

Oh dear, it doesn't seem like anyone suffers anywhere near as much as I do! Although that should be a good thing, I can't help being bitter :p

I've decided to try my next visit WITHOUT the motion sickness tablets and see what happens. I wonder if the drowsiness is what's causing most of the problem :/

All flats (bar drop towers) are a NOPE.
I feel naff after any spinny/rocking ride, but the worst I've ever felt was after Alakazam at Pleasure Island. If being sandwiched in on your front and flung around for 5 minutes is bad enough, you gotta endure it backwards as well.

I've never been sick from any ride thankfully. Spinball used to make me feel really rough after riding it and it'd purposely avoid it, but I don't find it anywhere near as bad these days. The only other ride I felt ill on was Black Revolver at Drayton. Evil thing! :p

Enterprise doesn't both me in the slightest, and I'll happily keep re-riding it (4 times in a row is my best so far :p )

Ian said:
I've never been sick from any ride thankfully. Spinball used to make me feel really rough after riding it and it'd purposely avoid it, but I don't find it anywhere near as bad these days. The only other ride I felt ill on was Black Revolver at Drayton. Evil thing! :p

Enterprise doesn't both me in the slightest, and I'll happily keep re-riding it (4 times in a row is my best so far :p )

Can I come ride in between your thighs? Astro is a good partner on Enterprise if you ever want one.

Also as most of you know I don't do vomit it makes me be sick or very close to it and I sometimes have a panic attack because of it, it is my phobia. I can handle spiders, reptiles and hights but vomit no.