• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

RIP Ripsaw

I think it's getting to the point where the park offers no real escapism any more in terms of its thematic environments. With Ripsaw leaving (and Blade inevitably at some point) this is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Forbidden Valley as a relatively cohesive area. Knackered as it was, Ripsaw was still a fantastic spectator attraction, popular with guests and talked about across the park.

As for the rest of the park. Mutiny Bay looks very low budget and it has The Flume. X-Sector and CBeebies lack any craftsmanship and are tacky. CCL and Towers Street are mismatched and shabby. Dark Forest.....well no explanation needed. So that leaves Gloomy Wood and Katanga Canyon as the only half immersive areas on park. The former is barely an area and the latter is tired and jaded. Even the hotels aren't what they once were with Splash turned into a crèche and vinyls plastered across ATH.

I hope these ride closured mark the cusp of the start of a new era of quality investment from 2017 onwards or else I will never return to Alton Towers. There are encouraging signs, but I'm sure you will forgive my scepticism considering the company we are dealing with and their track record.

They need a masterplan like they had in the 80s and 90s with somebody at the helm with a vision of what to do with the place like Broome and Wardley once had. It seems the marketing department have run the show for too long in recent times concerned only for naff USP's and getting people through the gates rather than offering a decent overall product when they arrive.
One word: shareholders.

Unfortunately.

Hey, I'm not a scumbag! I just want the company to achieve profits in a different way to a traditional shareholder.

Hey, I'm not a scumbag! I just want the company to achieve profits in a different way to a traditional shareholder.
I bought shares because because I trust Merlin to magic my money and increase my return so I can retire earlier. If part of that plan is ripping out an unreliable Top Spin, crack on.

Not again... We are indeed all scumbags *rolls eyes*. Alton Towers is a business, it exists to make money - no other reason. Not one.

Merlin is public - as is Disney, as is Six Flags, as is Cedar Fair etc.
"Alton Towers is a business"

That was exactly my point.
(Before you get defensive)

Alton Towers is a business that could have grown into something amazing, but instead they had simply let the park stagnant.

I've got no problem with Ripsaw leaving as I personally don't ride it, but with the amount of rides that is rumored to leave and no news of any replacements, it looks like they are simply downsizing what is on offer for the same entry price.

Alton should be up there with one of the best theme parks in the world, but at the moment it seems to be going down hill fast!

I never went on it because i didnt like the look of it but i did love watching people on it, stood for ages watching it and more recently listening to the awful noises it made as it dragged its self round. Sad to see it dumped in the car park on facebook i think it would make it better if it was being replaced by something but as we are all well aware its not likely to be replaced any time soon if ever. Hopefully after the next season or 2 of rubbish we will see some improvements. Would be nice to see Hex refurbished not removed #PrayForHex

Perhaps a long shot considering the circumstances but maybe the ride is being sent back to Huss to be refurbished/renovated?

I never went on it because i didnt like the look of it but i did love watching people on it, stood for ages watching it and more recently listening to the awful noises it made as it dragged its self round. Sad to see it dumped in the car park on facebook i think it would make it better if it was being replaced by something but as we are all well aware its not likely to be replaced any time soon if ever. Hopefully after the next season or 2 of rubbish we will see some improvements. Would be nice to see Hex refurbished not removed #PrayForHex
take Submission for instance- it's gone, but hasn't yet been replaced by a ride or attraction, just a grass lawn!

Huss still make top spins and Ripsaw was a popular ride.

If they had any sense they would replace it with a floorless model.
Totally agree with this, they could easily replace it with a new floor less top spin and everyone's happy! I really think Merlin want to have a rethink, flat rides add to the experience.

They need to get a Submission replacement! It's unacceptable to remove rides and charge more. It's not all about roller coasters.

The park is in such a state at the minute, looks shabby and rides are disappearing before our eyes.

take Submission for instance- it's gone, but hasn't yet been replaced by a ride or attraction, just a grass lawn!
Smiler was the de-facto replacement for Submission? I know they crossed over by a part of a season but that was perhaps a product of the delay.

You can't forever increase the number of attractions in the park while attendance/revenue remains flat. The maintenance budget for a major coaster is phenomenal, it goes way past the capital investment. In the same way, when attendance takes a dive you can't retain the same number of attractions.

Smiler was the de-facto replacement for Submission? I know they crossed over by a part of a season but that was perhaps a product of the delay.
Not really. Submission wasn't planned to be removed, it just broke during closed season (I think). for me, a replacement would be a flat or smaller ride built on the submission site, or a larger ride occupying the sites of submission and enterprise.

^ Submission was one of the least popular thrill rides in the park, why pay to maintain it?

^ I think they're talking about the physical space the rides stood on. The Smiler replaced The Black Hole tent. Th13teen physically replaced Corkscrew.

^ I think they're talking about the physical space the rides stood on. The Smiler replaced The Black Hole tent. Th13teen physically replaced Corkscrew.
Indeed. Rita was a bit of a bizarre investment anyway. Like a stop gap while they faffed with future plans and tried to distract from the imminent Corkscrew removal.