• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

RIP Ripsaw

I can't believe there's been 5 pages of speculation after this:

Still no one listens. :banghead:
Tbf it is mainly now speculation on what will be done with the remains rather than pointlessly blind optimism that Rippy might rise from its rusty grave...

when it is in bits in a car park for the first time since it moved to FV, you have to think it going to the retirement home.

Myself and @phildenholm have been discussing ripsaw bit as garden accessory's

No doubt we'll be seeing various bits of Ripsaw appearing in Merlin's other 3 top spins, sadly none of them are as good :(

I always found Ramases to be the better Top Spin. It managed to complete cycles as intended as it had the power to do so.

Still sad to see Rippy leave the park though :(

I always found Ramases to be the better Top Spin.
Your opinion, but I found that ripsaw was far better in terms of the ride, but Ramses could actually complete a cycle without being restarted (though it normally stops mid cycle to let off kids who hate it, before "round two" began)

Your opinion, but I found that ripsaw was far better in terms of the ride, but Ramses could actually complete a cycle without being restarted (though it normally stops mid cycle to let off kids who hate it, before "round two" began)

I think it's cycle 6 or 8 where it holds then flips about 5-6 times which I liked. Rippy could bareley do 1 due to it's low power. I like the theming and surrounding of Rammy better as well.

I like the theming and surrounding of Rammy better as well.
Can't argue with that. Ripsaw looked like it had been placed there, no surroundings, just trees. Whereas Ramses has been dug into the ground, and has tomb blaster next to it. A few years ago (before ripsaws theming was removed), I would have disagreed that Ramses was better in terms of theming. I always loved the "can you cut it" on the gondola, and the lights at scarefest, "sequence complete: you have been detoxed by ripsaw", somethings that Ramses never had.

Atleast ripsaw would end a cycle, before having a senior moment. And never needed the fire service to get riders off. :D

Last edited:
What extra theming did Ripsaw used to have? Been visiting since 2006 and can't remember any more that what was there this year?

What extra theming did Ripsaw used to have? Been visiting since 2006 and can't remember any more that what was there this year?
Never seen it in person, but it used to have a blue screw type thing on the side, blades on the ends of the weights (don't know what they are called), and lots of wires and motors on the sides. It also had ORP and red restraints. Just look at most of towers photos online, most were taken at least 15 years ago ;).

As @Leah mentioned above, there used to be blades on the end of the arms. You can see them in this awfully blurred image.
CwxPeAa.png

Credit to Alton Towers Almanac

There were 4 or 5 blue coloured HV isolators right side
Edit
As you can see on the photo above in @Tom.B post, damn posting at the same time :D

With Ripsaw going and Blade not long for this world it got me thinking about their opening and the massive change the area went through. For the life of me though I can't seem to get my bearings on the Thunder Looper?

I know the back end of its trench that originally housed the station and rear spire still exists and now has Blade it the old TL station area but I can't figure out where abouts in the modern FV the other end was? I make the loop to be opposite Refresh and the front spire (which was supported by the large metal pillar which contained the weight drop for the ride launch system) to be where Air emerges from its tunnel on the lift hill?

@matthewgcole

This should help a little if you use the monorail as a guide. So sparse...

90s2.jpg
Am I the only one who has never seen the nemesis queue so long? Would have loved to have done it in opening year (if I could of anyway) but don't know if I'd be prepared to wait 4 hours. 2 for the smiler was my limit.