• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rita launch cable snap!?!

At first they closed the ride for a couple of days to change the cables, but now they can do it overnight without closing the ride at all.

I'd be very surprised if it opened today though, as unlike with a planned cable change they won't have the staff/equipment immediately available.

An extremely unsafe act has taken place, it is just luck that no one has been injured. Just because no one was hurt, doesn't mean that there shouldn't be at least an internal investigation into what happened.

I'm just going off what my source has told me, and the person in question is usually accurate.

Anyway, I said it could open by 3pm today, but it all depends on what the technicians do and what investigation needs to be carried out, if any. :)

EDIT: They will not do any work until tonight because a large area of DF will need to be closed, and they do not want guest experience to be disrupted any further.

A couple of years ago it was changed within a couple of hours. I don't think there is much concern for safety, considering the metal runner is placed underneath in the event of this ever happening

I think the idea that it will re-open the same day as a snapped cable is unlikely to the point of impossible.

Sigh, as Astro points out, another brilliant endorsement of Intamin's safety record.

I think it's again worth reposting Lance from Screamscape's rant about Intamin's "Decade of Destruction", originally posted about the Xcelerator cable snap in 2011:

Screamscape said:
I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again. I do wonder just why so many parks around the world continue to buy Intamin products, when year after year we stand witness to stories about accidents on Intamin machines and countless tales of technical problems with many of their rides. I’m not saying that they are all bad… but I think someone really needs to take a look at the quality level of their designs if we are going to continue to allow them to build rides.

Lets take a brief recap of some highlights from Intamin’s Decade of Destruction:
1999 – Rider killed when Intamin Rapid’s boat flips at Six Flags over Texas
1999 – Rider thrown from Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags Darien Lake
1999 – 12 year old killed when he fell out of Drop Zone at Paramount’s Great America
2001 – Woman killed when thrown from Perilous Plunge
2001 – Brakes fail on Superman at S.F. New England, trains collide in station
2004 – Girl killed when thrown from Hydro
2004 – Launch Cable breaks, sprays riders with shrapnel on Top Thrill Dragster
2004 – A man died when thrown from Superman: Ride of Steel at S.F. New England
2005 – Trains collide on Disney’s California Screamin’ coaster when brakes fail
2005 – KingdaKa’s launch systems suffers extreme damage during test launch at S.F. Great Adventure.
2007 – A girl’s feet are severed on the Superman: Tower of Power at S.F. Kentucky Kingdom
2009 – Xcelerator’s Launch Cable Breaks

Intamin make some amazingly intense rides, but it does seem that safety is compromised. Maybe it's the price we pay for the awesome power of the hydraulic launches.

This is either Intamin or Alton Towers' fault. A cable snap is not a natural occurrence, and should not happen on a well-built, well-maintained ride. One of the two companies is at fault here, possibly both equally.

Is it just me who thinks that Intamin have some explaining to do?

Multiple accidents should not be acceptable for one of the leading ride manufacturers in the world, and if they want to maintain this position, then they need to change their ride systems!

It's lucky that nobody was hurt in this situation or Intamin, as well as Alton, could really have some explaining to do, especially with health and safety in this country!

We can't really point the finger at Intamin being at fault when we do not know exactly why the cable has snapped. The cable works on a lifespan of so many months, then it has to be replaced. For all we know it might have been coming towards the end of it's lifespan and snapped. It might have been over it's lifespan and snapped. Or it could be one of those unfortunate times when things just simply break.

Unless specifics are known then neither Alton or Intamin can be blamed. It could be a fault on either side, or no ones fault at all. These things do happen.

siralgenon said:
Would this really mean it's closed for a few weeks? Will it not open sooner? :(

At a guess I would say it'll be back open within the next week. Don't hold me against that though. :p

I would think the ride wont be closed for too long, as they are already getting the spare cable to the ride hopefully they will have it up and running again.

I took this a few years ago when the Towers did their fires behind the scenes tour its spare cable for Rita.

http://prntscr.com/clz0x

Looks like they have two of them! I do remember being told that they were rather expensive but I cant remember what the figure was.

The fact that a dangerous incident has ocurred cannot be ignored. It's not just a case of replacing a broken part and getting on with it.

But will H&S have to get involved? it could be classed as a near miss and then go on from there.

We have the near miss/ accident report at work. If something happens that could have resulted in injury or damage to company equipment it is classed as a near miss. From a near miss report it is looked at the see what can be changed to stop that happening again and becoming an accident.

Its only classed as an accident when someone is hurt or property is damaged. I am guessing they must use the same or similar system in theme parks.

If the cable has been properly looked after and it was still within its operational life then I guess its one of those things. Stuff breaks, things do not always last exactly how long it is designed to last.

I think towers will work on the cable all this niht and maybe tomorrow, because they especially don't want a repeat of the fast track system also it will leave many people dissapointed and unlikely to return

The more extreme weather of late might affect the cable negatively maybe? (complete stab in the dark)

Also it has become more popular since 2010 and has to do more launches (bigger Q at park close so more launches to clear it)

Apparently it is due it's mid season change soon I have heard.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

Jem8472 said:
But will H&S have to get involved? it could be classed as a near miss and then go on from there.

We have the near miss/ accident report at work. If something happens that could have resulted in injury or damage to company equipment it is classed as a near miss. From a near miss report it is looked at the see what can be changed to stop that happening again and becoming an accident.

Its only classed as an accident when someone is hurt or property is damaged. I am guessing they must use the same or similar system in theme parks.

If the cable has been properly looked after and it was still within its operational life then I guess its one of those things. Stuff breaks, things do not always last exactly how long it is designed to last.

There still needs to be lessons learned as the potential implications of the incident are quite serious.

I don't know if they have to notify the HSE of a dangerous occurence, but they do enforce Health and Safety practices at theme parks so I would have thought they'd need to be informed.

Things do break, but it's about minimising risk. I would say blame has to lie somewhere over a cable snapping.

I feel like I've been desensitised by Intamin accidents these days, they just happen so frequently regardless of whether its the companies fault of the parks fault.

Intamin make some amazingly intense rides, but it does seem that safety is compromised. Maybe it's the price we pay for the awesome power of the hydraulic launches.

I don't think any company or park would put their customers in danger for the sake of making an extreme ride, to the point where they ignore the risks. For years, the snapping cable has been part of the accelerator roller coaster design. Whether this particular cable had a fault should be at question, as should are the cables given too long a life of operation because its happened on Xcelerator, Top Thrill Dragster, Kanonen, Rita, Stealth and Kingda Ka. I could probably bet my life the others such as Xaturn and Superman Escape have also encountered similar problems.

Let's hope it reopens ASAP as it's one of the most popular rides on park whilst taking some of the queues away from other rides throughout the day :)

Tom said:
Jem8472 said:

There still needs to be lessons learned as the potential implications of the incident are quite serious.

I don't know if they have to notify the HSE of a dangerous occurence, but they do enforce Health and Safety practices at theme parks so I would have thought they'd need to be informed.

Things do break, but it's about minimising risk. I would say blame has to lie somewhere over a cable snapping.

If they use the same system as we use at work you only have to inform H&S when there is an accident and someone is hurt.