• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rita launch cable snap!?!

It might not be as major as what some people say, but it isn't trivial either.

It should NOT fail in service under any circumstances. It is not normal for it to do so, isn't expected and isn't safe because it's an uncontrolled release of stored energy.

None of the factors that people mention are justified reasons for the cable failing, everything should be taken into account. The cable should now be replaced earlier than what it was (the number of launches/period of time reduced between changes/inspections).

That's how you manage the deterioration of mechnical components.

So, according to TST on Facebook, Rita has re-opened!

I applaud the technicians for their efforts, and I hope that they get a pay rise... :mad:

Good job!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I'm confused now!

Some people say it has re-opened, some say it hasn't!

Can someone confirm the truth?

All I want is the truth!

Rita is indeed now open.

The new cables were fitted yesterday afternoon so it's all back to operation as usual now.

James fail, Rita is still closed. :p

Rita is NOT open.

It has cable across the station and the paths around it are fenced off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tom said:

It should NOT fail in service under any circumstances. It is not normal for it to do so, isn't expected and isn't safe because it's an uncontrolled release of stored energy.

None of the factors that people mention are justified reasons for the cable failing, everything should be taken into account. The cable should now be replaced earlier than what it was (the number of launches/period of time reduced between changes/inspections).

I agree it should not fail, but obviously it is expected as they have the guard in place.

And again, no it isn't safe & isn't meant to happen, but just like the seatbelts on most OTSR's, they are safety features in place if you know what happens.

This is the first time this has happened so whatever they have done has worked for years. There could be any unforeseen factor such as a bird had been eating a lot of lemons and shat on the cable. Granted, probably not, but my point is that it may well not be that they didn't change the cable frequently enough, it could be anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smudge said:
Tom said:

I agree it should not fail, but obviously it is expected as they have the guard in place.

And again, no it isn't safe & isn't meant to happen, but just like the seatbelts on most OTSR's, they are safety features in place if you know what happens.

This is the first time this has happened so whatever they have done has worked for years. There could be any unforeseen factor such as a bird had been eating a lot of lemons and shat on the cable. Granted, probably not, but my point is that it may well not be that they didn't change the cable frequently enough, it could be anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't know if the existing control measures are effective though, but the cable left dangling as per the photograph suggests it wasn't contained very well. Someone on Twitter was quoted as saying it nearly toom someone out underneath it, but again we don't know.

As long as lessons are learned, I don't see the problem given that no one was hurt, but I still think it should be reportable to the HSE as a dangerous ocurrence.

Where is the access to 13 at the moment? As I'm sure they still want people to go past the F&B outlets but you can go under Rita's track.

As I posted earlier...

You go through Cave Games and out a fire exit for access to 13!

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

While this incident shouldn't have happened I don't think there’s any reason to delay the rides reopening. It sounds like a simple case of the cable breaking due to fatigue, perhaps influenced by the rapid change in weather conditions. Therefore just replacing the cable will be fine for now.

However it is concerning that it was not noticed that the cable was at the point of failure. Maybe Intamin overestimate the life of their cables or maybe the park didn’t notice it needed replacing. I’m not sure how they regularly check the cables anyway so I can’t judge who is responsible but that’s my thoughts on the matter.

Tim said:
While this incident shouldn't have happened I don't think there’s any reason to delay the rides reopening. It sounds like a simple case of the cable breaking due to fatigue, perhaps influenced by the rapid change in weather conditions. Therefore just replacing the cable will be fine for now.

However it is concerning that it was not noticed that the cable was at the point of failure. Maybe Intamin overestimate the life of their cables or maybe the park didn’t notice it needed replacing. I’m not sure how they regularly check the cables anyway so I can’t judge who is responsible but that’s my thoughts on the matter.

The ride and queue line was emptied completely on Sunday afternoon, I personally saw people looking around the cable area before the ride was re-opened quite a bit later. IMHO this should have been the point that the cable was changed as a pre-caution, not left to continue to operate for another 2 hours + a day before it finally gave way, and this could have been easily avoided.

Was going to say if it had reopened it would have been impressive for the maintance team good luck to them to get it up and running before the major queues start

ParkLogic_Chris said:
The ride and queue line was emptied completely on Sunday afternoon, I personally saw people looking around the cable area before the ride was re-opened quite a bit later. IMHO this should have been the point that the cable was changed as a pre-caution, not left to continue to operate for another 2 hours + a day before it finally gave way, and this could have been easily avoided.
There are a whole range of possible reasons for the ride to have been closed - for all we know it had nothing to do with the cable at all.

Am I the only one who will be waiting for Rita to complete a launch before passing under the track in future? :p

When something is subjected to various stress factors and other external random element, it is not improbable that it would fail at an unexpected time. They probably have an idea of the average time for which the cable would be replaced, but in exceptional circumstances, it may happen outside of this window. I don't think it shows poor maintenance at all, but highlights that more control is perhaps needed

ParkLogic_Chris said:

9 times out of 10, the team will look at the launch track when the ride seriously breaks down. Looking for objects that may have fallen out of a rider's pocket, looking for issues with the components and of course, the cable. It's purely speculation to consider links between any previous breakdowns and this cable snap. As far as we're concerned, it's coincidental until proven otherwise.

DiogoJ42 said:
Am I the only one who will be waiting for Rita to complete a launch before passing under the track in future? :p
If I can see the cable rising out of the trough during launches then I'll be doing the same yeh.
I trust the AT mechanics to sort it to the safe standard that is needed so I won't be too worried.

DiogoJ42 said:

And some chav will probably stab you in the back for not moving up in the queue quickly.