• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rita launch cable snap!?!

I think the key difference between RITA and the skyride, is that the skyride cable is under a constant load at all times. Whereas RITA has a HUGE, sudden load (stop sniggering at the back, this is a serious topic) and then relaxes until the next launch. I'm not sure but I would think this is fairly unique application for such a cable.

Dar said:
I think the key difference between RITA and the skyride, is that the skyride cable is under a constant load at all times. Whereas RITA has a HUGE, sudden load (stop sniggering at the back, this is a serious topic) and then relaxes until the next launch. I'm not sure but I would think this is fairly unique application for such a cable.

Chuffing nora, definitely time I were in bed. :-[

Pretty certain this is the first time it has snapped at Alton Towers, but has a ride type, there has been a fair few cable snaps.

They only thing I hope Alton don't do is stick plastic guards to the front of the train.

There are several ropes along the skyride, with the main one being along which it is fed. I assume the others safeguard in the event of failure

Rita has definitely reopened. Queues open now. :)

Edit: to elaborate! The area under the launch is still closed for safety so you still have to go through crypt games and is running on two trains.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ah brilliant news considering the summer season is upon us this will hopefully reduce queue lines over the summer

Tom said:
"We WILL force people through a money-spending opportunity one way or another!" :p

Merlin are crafty like that ;)

Great news that Rita is back open!

Been on park today Rita launch area is still blocked off and the queue line is been stop before going under the track so nobody is under the track when launched

^ Obviously highlighting the fact that a cable snap is a dangerous occurrence, not something that's expected to happen frequently as some people seem to believe.

It's possible that the HSE have issues an improvement notice to them for changes.

Thorpe park have also now blocked off the area under the launch cable at the entrance to the sunken gardens so there is no access to it.
They are also adding protection to the ride entrance as it goes under the launch track, this is just in case the same thing happens at Thorpe I guess.

What could they do in the long term? Maybe some sort of 'tunnel' as you go under the launch track. Not sure about the path from the main part of DF to Rita and Th13teen's entrances though. Surely they can't block that off entirely?!

Maybe they'll work on expanding whatever this system is that's supposed to keep the cable from dropping down in the event of a snap. :)

If they did install some sort of tunnel in the queueline and the path to Th13teen, I hope they would theme it.. Maybe it would add a lot to a barely themed area..

Not going to happen, would be nice if they did.

:)

it will come down to price,

is it cheaper to fit capture grill on to Rita's framework, or to build tunnels that can take the loading of being hit by a flying cable ?

If we get a tunnel, it had better be a Wardley tunnel.

Wardley's tunnels are cool!

I think the a trough will be put along Rita's launch, so that the cable is unable to swing down.
This would be the cheapest, but safe, option!

I would hazard a guess at some kind of cover for the launch track as has already been suggested - cheaper than building a structure to cover the path! Mind you, that'd be a god send in the rain - there's currently barely any shelter in DF as it is!

Sazzle said:
I would hazard a guess at some kind of cover for the launch track as has already been suggested - cheaper than building a structure to cover the path! Mind you, that'd be a god send in the rain - there's currently barely any shelter in DF as it is!

As in an all-enclosed tunnel for the track, on all sides? Like this? Only problem with that is, if the chain did break, it could potentially make it even more lethal for the riders on the train. It'd be like throwing shrapnel into a washing machine in that tunnel. ??? :eek:

My gosh, NO!! Absolutely not what I meant :p.

I meant an under the track box, sort of like what they currently have over the queueline that goes under the launch - y'know, that flimsy bit of metal sheeting? An upside down cover, if you will.

And really, LOL Sam - Towers. Paying for that? OH. HAHA. With that, I need a lie down.

Shipping container tunnel(s) under the launch track. Also allows for a couple of cheeky vending machines. ;)