• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Russia vs NATO

Just didn't hit that edit button quick enough there did you?!
We all make typos, the topic on the other hand is very important. If there is a coup in Russia it could have major consequences, would likely end the war and may well lead to a better relationship between a Russia and the west, at least that must be our hopes.

I also wanted to add in terms of my typo that although I am not using it as an excuse I am partially sighted, text can be an issue sometimes and I often don’t notice silly mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all make typos, the topic on the other hand is very important. If there is a coup in Russia it could have major consequences, would likely end the war and may well lead to a better relationship between a Russia and the west, at least that must be our hopes.
Well you could say that Putin is a dumbass, so you weren't wrong :p

Got to post this as I find it quite amusing. Russian state TV have announced the special operation is over - but, it now has to demilitarise or denazify NATO. Yes, Russia who couldn’t take on Ukraine are now proposing taking on 24 countries lol. Do the Russian people seriously believe some of this stuff?!

I find that possibility scary rather than amusing myself. If Russia really does target NATO, then the whole world is arguably under threat, and very bad things could happen as a result… not that bad things haven’t already happened in Ukraine by any means, as the situation there is terrible, but I think this could be very harmful on a global scale, on a scale of impact beyond that of the current Ukraine war.

It's ridiculous but it seems the Russian populous react very strongly to the signs of Russia being a great military power, they seem to believe that as it is perhaps the ideal for them. Russia obviously cannot take on NATO and I very much doubt they are about to start, this is just the only sort of opinion that is allowed on Russian TV. If they are being serious and Russia starts an attack on NATO, they are going to be in for a rude awakening, I always say never underestimate you opponent but watching Russia in Ukraine it is clear they'd have a hard time dealing with a force that's larger than it never mind smaller than it.

I find that possibility scary rather than amusing myself. If Russia really does target NATO, then the whole world is arguably under threat, and very bad things could happen as a result… not that bad things haven’t already happened in Ukraine by any means, as the situation there is terrible, but I think this could be very harmful on a global scale, on a scale of impact beyond that of the current Ukraine war.

I think it’s more the Russian propaganda is trying to give the message to the population that Russia is still a great military power with a lot of influence in the world which can take on the likes of NATO - which we know , it can’t.

So we all heard how Russia was boasting about its new relationship with China, but it looks like the Chinese have done what everyone predicted and backed down on their support they are prepared to offer the Russians.

On sky news this morning the commentary from a recent meeting said

“China has made clear its position on the situation in Ukraine, and on the illegal sanctions against Russia," they said.

"We understand [Moscow's] predicament. But we cannot ignore our own situation in this dialogue. China will always act in the best interest of the Chinese people."

In other words, I’d it doesn’t do something for us, go away. Usual standpoint of the Chinese, surprised Russia fell for that one.

We do indeed need a bigger army however we have the reserves to bring up and people who've recently retired from the army. The army is the part of the service lacking the most personal, the Navy also needs more. The RAF has also got problems. We need massive investment in our armed forced. I would say however that we should not worry about conscription any time soon, we would need to be in dire situations before direct conscription is needed, we would however need a workforce to produce technology and weapons, ships and vehicles.

Last edited:
What's the point of starting a land war when the side that is about to lose would just go nuclear as they have nothing else to lose? There would surely need to be some agreed rules to the war and even then could you trust the losing side to not set off nuclear bombs? None of this makes any sense.

I actually have some rather positive news to report on the Ukraine front.

Ukraine have recently launched a counter-offensive in the Kharkiv region in the North East of the country. This region had previously been captured by Russia, but Ukraine has reclaimed 8,000 square kilometres (3,088 square miles) of land. It’s alleged that this counter-offensive completely blindsided Russia, who were preparing for an attack in a different region of the country.

It does appear as though Ukraine is making considerable progress, and a Russian victory is perhaps not the foregone conclusion that some thought it was a few months back.

Some interesting changes in rhetoric on Russian state tv this week.

Firstly people are now openly admitting this is a war. There is a lot of talk of the western weapons and talk of being at war with NATO.

Today the Russian Duma will sign a bill to allow mass mobilisation of its forces.

Russia and Putin know they are beat. The truth is starting to leak out and the Russian TV are now having to openly talk about it like we have never seen before.

I think Putin is going to play his next card which is well known for and will try to escalate to de-escalate. I can’t see the Russian military going in to fight. Many arrive in Ukraine and just surrender straight away. They are short on weapons and low on morale.

This only leaves his nukes. The warning from Biden to Putin on Sunday was also interestingly timed with the change in Russian TV rhetoric.

Putin may very well next try to threaten a nuclear war to try and de-escalate and come out of Ukraine hoping to show some success should the West back down in the face of his threats.

I don’t think he has the support of his military anymore though, and some insiders are saying even if he did press the red button, the wires will probably have been cut.

I think it’s only a matter of time now before he accidentally falls out of a window or has a stroke.

news coming out of Russia that Putin will address the nation tonight.

I think he will declare war in Ukraine and announced mass mobilisation. Also this afternoon snap referendums are happening in the occupied parts of Ukraine to make them part of Russia.

Russia is suggesting they will use “all means of self defence” to protect them once they are considered part of Russia.

I think the escalation bit is coming ….

Edit : this doesn’t mean it will escalate but is a clear sign Putin is on the ropes now.

News is that the state Duma has passed all 3 new laws in Russia (what a surprise) which has harsh penalties for anyone who now refuses to go and fight when called up. No doubt referendums in Ukraine areas held by the Russians will be a unanimous vote to join Russia

Last edited: