• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sam's PortAventura review

Sam

TS Member
Sam's review of PortAventura

PortAventura is a park that has been pretty close to the top of my European 'most wanted' list for a long time. Second to Disneyland Paris, it was probably the biggest park in Europe that I'd never step foot in until now, despite having wanted to since I was a child. I remember when I was eleven or twelve, sneaking onto my parent's computer late at night to watch POVs of Dragon Khan which I found strangely exciting, though I wasn't quite sure why, when I was just coming out of the closet as an enthusiast.

Fast-forward a decade and my feelings were a bit more mixed. While the park's high-points still resembled a promising mountain-range, glittering on the Iberian horizon, I was also painfully aware of its uglier features hidden beneath the façade. I held out hope that the rumours would be proven unfounded – the dreadful operations, the closed rides, the un-rideable coasters – merely a bad dream from drinking too much sangria. Alas, while my pubescent fantasies about the Mediterranean wonderland really were to take shape in reality, the dark nightmare also dogged them like silver with a cloudy lining.

As with most parks lucky enough to possess a B&M Hyper, first impressions are good, with the excitement kicking into gear several miles from Salou, the town the park calls home. Aurally, it comes dangerously close to the French 'Salut!' meaning 'Hi!', which was ironic as after several minutes of driving through the coastal town with its identikit tower block hotels and British or Irish themed pubs, I wanted to wish it a firm 'Goodbye!' Wisely, the park is perched on a hill above the town, and a winding road up to the creatively named Hotel PortAventura quickly pushed the dismal Salou from my mind.

Well, is there a better location for a theme park hotel than this?! It's not near the entrance of the park – it effectively is the entrance of the park, with the whitewashed Catalonian-style hotel forming part of the same cluster of buildings that makes up the park's graceful Mediterrània entrance area. The reception area was stylish and pleasant, if a little bland, and much the same can be said for the rooms themselves. Perfectly pleasant and clean but just a little... soulless. Still, they are clearly several refurbishments ahead of the rooms at ATH and Splash Landings – an indisputable bargain given the knock-down prices that PA were giving us the room (inc. park tickets!) for.

1451499_10152347644401978_153062297_n.jpg

Park charm. Photo by Vik Morgan.

Your room key doubles as park entry ticket – a nifty trick – and the understated hotel entrance takes you from room to park in 90 seconds, complete with an obnoxious Intamin thundering ominously overhead. While many parks attempt an absurdly grandiose entrance that leaves you feeling a little lost, PA skillfully goes the other way. The Iberian entrance is subtle and understated, allowing the park to slowly unfold and reveal itself to you like a taste of a fine wine. The entrance is idyllic and quaint with a handful of boats bobbing in the harbour, masterfully realising a collective folk-memory of a Mediterranean fishing village that probably never really existed.

Unfortunately, the sanctity is shattered approximately every three minutes by the wheezing death-rattle juddering past that is Furius Baco, the parks new-for-'07 Intamin Wingrider. That's 2007 by the way, even if the deathtrap does feel like it was built in 1907. To paraphrase The Thick of It's Malcolm Tucker... in my quest to try and make you understand the level of my hatred for this ride, I'm likely to use an awful lot of what we could call 'violent sexual imagery', and I just wanted to check that none of you would be terribly offended by that? No? Good.

There must be words in Spanish to accurate pinpoint how utterly appalling this coaster is because there is no direct translation in English. I think I could accurately describe it through interpretive dance, but I worry that I might be charged with an anti-social behaviour offence. Let's start from the beginning, blow-by-blow. There's no doubting that the station looks impressive from the entrance. A hillside vineyard draws the eye up to a plain-but-pleasant terracotta coloured building that could almost be a church in a provincial Spanish town, if it had a cross on top.

A plinky-plonky soundtrack frames the ride in a whimsical and light-hearted context – those being two qualities entirely absent from the ride experience itself. The hilltop house opens up into a cavernous cattlepen, fortunately not needed on our visit. The station itself is not-unpleasant, and the first thing that comes to mind when you see the loading arrangements is actually positive. Get this – you can cross the train to get to the seats on the other side, therefore avoiding the überfaff of a queue split with a bridge. Take note, B&M.

The pre-show again surprises. Maybe this ride isn't as bad as its reputation? Is it a hidden gem, obscured under a thick coat of enthusiast bile? The show, a small vignette of flying monkeys and a hapless professor entangling himself in mechanical gubbins, is charming. As with the overall theme of a vineyard, someone put a lot of thought and attention into this – it's fresh, it's funny and it's not overdone. Suddenly, a screech of wheels and we're catapulted outside before you can say “so far, so good!”

But hold on a second, what about the launch, the ride's saving grace? Err... no. It may be faster than Rita and Stealth, but those Baco trains are baby elephants compared to Stealth's nippy little hyenas, and they're draggin' a fair bit of weight on them. The acceleration is clearly nowhere near its British counterparts, and overall the launch feels about as intense as Velocity's or Blue Fire's. That's pretty weak for an Intamin Accelerator. But trust me, this is a shining pinnacle of excellence compared to the macabre horror that is about to follow...

Following the launch, the trains drop down a hill that I can only liken to descending into Hell. The thirty seconds that follow can simply be likened to brutal, physical torture. The ride is an unrelenting, merciless battering ram to the human body that vibrates, shakes, jolts and pulverises the rider like new potatoes being turned into mash. There's nothing you can do. You are firmly tied down by the mechanism, and there is not a jot you can do to influence your situation. Just grit your teeth, close your eyes and wait. Think of mother, think of a sunny meadow, think of home.

1385958_10152347643891978_226652510_n.jpg

Beautiful area, ruined. Photo by Vik Morgan.

But if Baco was put on trial, grievous bodily harm would not be the most serious charge put against it. Your reward as rider for the copious assault that the ride is dishing out to your body is 30 seconds of pure tedium. Yes, Furius Baco is boring. The oversized figure-of-eight layout somehow achieves absolutely nothing of note – even when taken at 80mph. The huge, lumbering turns and utterly pointless inline-twist almost suggest that the designers knew the coaster would be so agonising that for it to actually attempt to pass through some actual elements would make it quite literally unrideable. If you compare the elements here to the zero-g rolls, corkscrews and even full vertical loops offered by the B&M counterpart, it reveals this ride for what it really is – a laughing stock.

I rode Furius Baco four times. The second time to check it really was as bad as I'd thought it was. The third so I could say that I'd been on it enough times to definitively state that it's crap. And the fourth... well I must be a masochist. I've dwelled enough on this abortion of a ride, so let's move on. Heading anti-clockwise around the park, we enter Polynesia. Polynesia is definitely the most accomplished of the park's six theme areas, in that it's the most immersive. Luscious tropical trees bending over the paths hide the rest of the park away, and with the Spanish sun beating down from a clear blue sky, its a pretty convincing illusion.

Like Mediterrània, the area only plays host to one ride, Archbishop Desmond Tutuki Splash. It's a shoot-the-chutes. The second drop is bigger than the first. What else is there to say? Oh yeah, the tunnels are covered in chewing gum mere centimetres above your head, which makes you want to wretch. A non-event. We sadly now have to leave the mid-Pacific islands behind us and wind our way up the hill to China, complete with bamboo-lined paths and traditional qin music piped in gently.

Although I've heard multiple times that China is the worst area of the park, I really liked it. Then again, I do have a bit of a fondness towards oriental themes. While it may not be as intensely sensual as Phantasialand's counterpart, it makes up for it with size and decent rides. As we climb past pagodas and red gates, the air begins to thin, and we reach a plateau. We're in the territory of the mighty Dragon Khan.

Beginning operations with the park in 1995, there's no doubting what this is: a great big stonking B&M multi-looper. Opening the following years with the same manufacturer, and sharing a father in John Wardley, this coaster is clearly the half-sister to Nemesis. Like its Staffordshire sibling, the ride may lack gimmicks and use the most simple of ride systems, but what it does is simply outstanding.

There isn't too much detail to go into – it's just a really forceful old B&M. A little rough, yes, but who cares? It's not as bad as most Intamins, Gersts and Vekomas, and offers a much better ride. Like Nemesis, it seems to get faster and faster as you traverse the layout, with a full on sprint-to-the-finish after the MCBR. That section deserves special praise for being tight, compact and pulling some tremendous force. While the first half isn't quite up there with the first half of r'Nemesis, it still offers a bucket load more positive-g than newer B&M fare (I'm looking at you, Swarm).

I also want to describe the ride as beautiful, because in old photos it is. However, it is not. Building Shambhala over the top has turned it into an absolute mess. Where once a graceful red coaster stood alone at the pinnacle of the park, all you see now is a jumbled mess of clashing track and supports. Shambhala's lifthill has had the unfortunate effect of leaving Khan looking cramped and squashed, a messy spaghetti-bowl of steel under the shimmering white peaks. The problem would have been slightly alleviated by getting rid of Shammy's chain return and including it in the track spine, as B&M now offer. What is there in reality is an ugly mess, and not aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

551321_10152347640631978_1052873131_n.jpg

A mess. Photo by Vik Morgan.

But who cares when the coaster that created this clutter is Shambhala? Forgive and forget. Lets gloss over the cattlepen queue and the lack of detail in the theming, because frankly, they make a negligible difference to the ride. Yes, it has been slight overrated. No Mr Hawker, it clearly isn't the sixth best steel coaster in the world. But that's not its fault. It's still a damn good ride. But I'd like to get something off my chest first, so here goes.

The trains. They're a downgrade. These are the new stadium-seated 'tiered' trains that B&M seem to be putting on all their hyper-coasters now, and here's three reasons why they should stop:
1) They do nothing to improve the ride experience. I guess the idea is that you're meant to be 'on the wing', which is all the rage these days. You're not, because there is a floor. The difference in the view compared to the traditional four-across trains is negligible.
2) They're anti-social. If you're sat on one of the outside seats, you're basically a single rider, even if you're with your friends.
3) They reduce front-row seats available from four to two. I've tried out both, and row two is not row one. It makes a big difference.

That gripe out the way, what is the ride experience like? You fly, you swoop, you soar, you plummet. It's everything it should be: an intensely liberating, exhilarating experience. The first drop is significantly more forceful than Silver Star's, and the apex of each hill delivers with a blissful burst of floater airtime. The odd turnaround is interesting, and the low-height 'speed hill' is a triumph of engineering.

988348_10152347643056978_1326332658_n.jpg

Photo by Vik Morgan.

Unfortunately, after the fake splash-down it does seem to run out of steam. The hill out of the splash-down is perhaps a couple of feet too high, and the speed is neutered for the remainder of the run. While still fun, the remaining few hills follow the law of diminishing returns, and I found myself longing for the twisty finale of Silver Star, or the demented bunny-hop spree of Expedition GeForce. Still, it doesn't detract too much from the first two-thirds of the ride, which is without fault. This is a B&M hyper and it delivers exactly what it says on the tin: a smooth, graceful speed coaster with floater airtime by the bucket load. And this does that job better than any other I've come across.

Although difficult to wrench yourself away from whoring Shambhala's single rider queue, the park continues with a somewhat-jarring transition to Mexico. This was probably the weakest themed area for me, though by no means bad. The mine train is inexplicably located here, though you'd think it'd be a much better fit in Far West. As if to illustrate the point, El Diablo interacts a great deal with Far West's Silver River Flume, almost as if it knows where it really belongs.

This mine train gets an unfair bashing. Don't get me wrong, it's no Colorado Adventure or Big Thunder, but it's nowhere near as bad as people say. The queue, station and theming are all solid, and the trains aren't half bad. The layout has some genuinely exciting moments, including most of the track after the first lift, and the final 'EuroMir-style' swooping helix drop after the third lift. I went on expecting something on par with Temple of the Shitehawk, but I actually... quite like it. I do realise that for saying that I now have to cut up all my annual passes and exile myself to South America. I'm fearless, and I will be out and proud. I quite like El Diablo, and I don't care who knows it.

Continuing our counter-clockwise journey, we come to another thrill seeking heavy-hitter; the absolutely colossal Hurakan Condor. Queueing up, I felt a giddy anticipation that I was about to experience the super-sized version of one of my favourite rides (Apocalypse at Drayton) with some spectacular theming to boot. Although it's storyless as far as I can tell, it doesn't stop the base of the tower being jaw-dropping – a gargantuan Mayan ruin, piercing the sky with its jagged ramparts.

So what did I make of the actual tower? I strapped myself in, and without a moment's hesitation we were ascending. My legs dangled freely beneath me, and I felt more vulnerable and terrified than I had in a long-time. But it's not a bad feeling – as a jaded enthusiast, its so rare to feel acute fear that I lap it up at any opportunity given. I neared the top, and the surrounding view was spectacular. At least, I think it was. All I could concentrate on was the tiny saddle keeping me from the 283ft drop I could see below my shoelaces. Suddenly, the catch releases and the floorless stand-up arrangement only enhances the exhilarating, brain-blasting plunge to terra-firma...

...is the review I wanted to write. The park do not let you choose which side of the tower you get, and both times I rode I ended up on one of the three sit-down sides. Sit-down tower rides are much of a likeness, especially at this height. They're perfectly decent, but do little for me. A thought consumed me while I was ascending... what is the point of having different ride experiences available if you don't let guests choose what they want? It undermines the entire purpose of having different types of seating arrangements on the tower. Unfortunately as we were soon to discover, this was only the tip of the iceberg of PortAventura's pisspoor operations. Marvelling at just how deep that iceberg went would unfortunately become the main hobby for the remaining two days on park.

In the far corner of the park sits Templo Del Fuego, which I thought was a spectacular special-effects bonan----oh, I'm not going to do the same trick again. It was closed, deliberately, for the entire week, as were around seven other smaller rides. Unless the entrance price is also reduced, slashing the ride line-up like this is absolutely not on. It's a nasty, money-grabbing approach to the guest experience, and a park the size of PortAventura should be far above these sort of shenanigans.

Mexico gradually transmutes into the Far West, via another long path and some pretty forgettable flat rides. I have to say that Far West, particularly the mining town of Penitence, was by far my favourite area of the park. It may lack the breathtaking landscaping and foliage of China and Polynesia, but it made up for that with an almost obsessive level of detail.

The broken rail-road bridges with abandoned mine cars hanging off them. The town bank, post office and railway station. The city limits which see Penitence gradually fading into the surrounding countryside. All rendered with the tell-tale signs of a craftsman at work. To be in this massive area is simply a joy, with every texture, building and feature of the town providing a rich feast for the eye. You can feel the hand of Universal and Busch everywhere in this part of the park.

Such lavish praise cannot be extended to the area's headline attraction, fortunately exiled in a far suburb of the town. Stampida is a duelling woodie built two years after the park opened, ostensibly by CCI but you wouldn't know it when you reach the brake run. PortAventura is situated right in the area of Spain that saw the heaviest fighting in the Spanish civil war of 1936, between an alliance of anarchists and communists against the fascist forces of General Franco.

It's particularly clever of them to work this historical event into the concept of Stampida. An utterly pointless battle that only served to ruin the lives of the Catalonians, the war saw untold amounts of misery and many bodies broken as each side wore each other down to a pathetic husk, as their miserable conflict fizzled out to nothingness. This is also a pretty apt description of Stampida: a ride seemingly designed and maintained as if the people in charge of it have a passionate hatred of humankind.

1459739_10152347644606978_2019063123_n.jpg

Halloween themed Penitence. Photo by Vik Morgan.

Like the evil Intamin on the opposite side of the park, this is truly a dreadful ride. Both, for me, are the absolute worst coasters I've ever been on built from their respective materials. Like Baco, Stampida is almost unrideably rough. Anything interesting the ride is doing I did not notice during my first run, as it is drowned out by wave after wave of pain and internal injury. The wheels don't seem to run along the track – they bounce, skid and scrape.

If you can somehow look through the dense fog of pain (it took me at least three rides) you notice that actually, there could be a half-decent woodie buried very deeply under all this incompetence. The first half is quite pacey, with pops of airtime that have the potential to be enjoyable if you weren't bracing every square-inch of your body for the jolt when your bum reconnects with the seat.

76393_10152326271051978_1489321510_n.jpg

The three stages of riding Stampida. Regret, pain & anger. Photo by Vik Morgan.

Unfortunately, the ride's highlight also kills it stone-dead. To have the two sides, joined side-by-side up to now, split off and then reappear going opposite directions is a clever move by Wardley. The flipside of this is that it does mean that the ride absolutely dies on its arse. Any speed or momentum is seemingly sapped from the trains in a matter of seconds, and they limp back to the station like a wounded dog, dragging its leg behind it. Stampida is an embarrassment to this park, and I imagine that a lot of that is down to the various hack-jobs inflicted on it after CCI and Wardley packed their bags, especially the new KumbaK trains. But this park isn't a complete woodie no-go zone, as we move onto Stampida's 'support' coaster.

It's always very difficult to judge children's coasters. Do you rank a great kid's coaster over a mediocre thrill coaster? This was the perennial problem I found myself struggling with while giddily lining up to re-ride Tomahawk. I've now come to a solution: I think “If I had children, would I be proud for this to be their first rollercoaster?” With Tomahawk, the answer is an unequivocal yes. The ride is a Zipper Dipper for the 21st century, with edge and kick and personality and pazzazz.

Tomahawk is everything a great children's coaster should be: a wild, fun, out-of-control whirl. Most importantly, it's not too tame – maybe the worst sin a children's ride can commit. Children like to be scared, and can handle more intensity than most parks give them credit for. This one has some great drops, decent laterals and the itsy-little PTCs zip round the track like a lightning bolt. Not only is this better than the 'headline' ride it's unlucky enough to be intertwined with, it's one of the best children's coasters I've ever done anywhere.

The trio of water rides is completed in Far West, first by the Silver River Flume, a Mack creation with a considerable last drop. While the layout was pretty good (maybe a bit too much Flume-esque floating about in the air), the theming left a lot to be desired, essentially having none once you left the station. Still, the last drop was great, and this gave me the honour of having my first ever evacuation from a Mack ride! (after waiting in a log jam at the bottom of the third lift for a good half hour).

1441214_10152347642296978_1795524189_n.jpg

P45 for Roland. Photo by Vik Morgan.

The unholy trinity definitely improves with the slightly-unimaginatively named Grand Canyon Rapids, an Intamin that opened with the park. While it doesn't offer much in the actual rapids department, this is fast. I mean really fast. By the end you're worried that the boat is going to lurch forward and tip you all out, nevermind the fact that the craft is impersonating an unevenly weighted Maurer spinner. While lacking the imagination of rapids like Mystery River, and the craziness of RiverQuest, this is still a great ride.

And well, that's it. Which neatly brings me onto my first bone of contention with the park: lack of rides. Given that they've been open for nearly twenty years now, the actual low quantity of rides is quite shocking. Great swathes of the park are completely uninhabited by anything resembling a ride. What is there, especially the three big steel coasters, are often swamped and can't cope with the 3.5m visitors the park gets these days.

This is a minor quibble compared to my main beef with the park: the atrocious operations. God knows how this lot got an Armada together. I'd go as far as saying that it's the worst operations I've ever seen in my life, relative to the size of the park. We saw Khan running one train with a one-hour wait. We saw one side out of five on Condor operating, with an hour queue. We never saw Stampida on more than one train per side, despite it getting upwards of a forty minute queue. Even if they choose to up the capacity, you can be sure that the slow staff and copious overselling of Fastrack will keep the main queue throughputs in the basement.

At one point, we saw Shambhala alternating between a Fastrack train, and a main queue train, giving the snaking main queue a grand throughput of around 300pph. Oh, I almost forgot, the staggered opening! The only rides of any note that opened with the park at 10 were Baco and the rapids. That's your lot for the first hour, and if you don't let getting wet or coma-inducing assaults, then you're stuck. Imagine if Towers announced that only the rapids and Oblivion would open with the park – the queue for guest services would be three miles long. This sort of behaviour is spitting in the face of the guest, and is not on, in any way, shape or form.

PortAventura is the definition of a mixed bag, and seems to have an aversion to the middle-ground. Everything is either incredible (Khan, Shambhala, area theming) or appalling (Stampida, Baco, operations) and nowhere in between. It is a park with a stunning surface, but as soon as you begin to dig deeper, you find that it's quite hollow. While some other European parks, especially the older ones founded in the early-to-mid 20th century, have become skilled at creating emotionally deep environments that are rich in their complex textures, PortAventura seems to revel in simply being spectacular on the surface. It dazzles first-time guests with its beauty, hoping it'll distract them from the water pouring through the holes in the ceiling.

But when that surface consists of Khan and Shambhala, how bad can it be? At the end of the day, the lack of depth doesn't detract from the reality that many elements of the park, and a handful of the headline rides, are quite breathtaking experiences. Whether that makes up for the bad operations and un-rideable coasters, I'm not sure. The cold truth is that policies like the staggered openings, the one-train operations and the closed rides mid-week firmly puts this park in the second-tier of European parks.

1001587_10152347643076978_1924039533_n.jpg

Photo by Vik Morgan.

Until they address these substantial issues, and seriously speed up on capital investment in the park, they will never be able to catch up with Europe's top-tier parks, the likes of Disney and Efteling, and even Alton Towers. They seem to be heading in the right direction with the latter – there has been new ride openings every year from 2011 through to 2014. But consulting with Dan who went in 2009, there seemed to have been no progress made on the operations whatsoever.

I want to like PortAventura, but it does make it bloody hard work. I can see myself returning in a few years, when they've added a couple of new rides, and really enjoying myself. With a beer in hand, in the baking Spanish sun, it is difficult to top. But I can't help thinking what the park could have been, if so many decisions from the early-90s through to present had been different. Don't get me wrong, I adore Tomahawk, but when a children's woodie is the third best coaster in a park of eight... something's not quite right.

Sam Gregory

Best review I've ever read for Furius Baco! :p Great park review. Very interesting read. One of the few reports I've read from start to finish!

Operations have always been diabolical. I've been visiting since 2007 and nothing has changed. I wonder if the staff realise they are meant to be running rides at times. Most seem to be in a dream world, moping around not quite knowing if they should click the dispatch button or watch the paintwork slowly rot away on the pole next to them. They are very slow. Makes other parks around the world look like they've got staff on steroids!

I've been visiting yearly, usually around August time when the park is busiest and most rides are never open when the park opens. It's better in the summer than how you have described openings on your visit, but it's never been like Alton (or most other parks) when nearly all rides open with the park. Food and beverage is a strange one too, on my visits not a single F&B outlet opens until 12pm-2pm (aside from the ones in Mediterránia)... this is in the middle of the summer when the park is rammed. I've never understood why!

An excellent review. Many of the thoughts and opinions are shared with myself, apart from El Diablo, which I basically think is UTTER balls.

Well written, witty and informative.

:)

Echoes basically all my thoughts. It doesn't have enough rides, and aside from Shambhala and Dragon Khan, what is there is mediocre at best. You put into words my feelings on Furius Baco better than I ever could! :p

By the way, please could you post this on PBE. It would be immensely satisfying to see a negative TR about PA on there ;)

Alastair said:
By the way, please could you post this on PBE. It would be immensely satisfying to see a negative TR about PA on there ;)

We welcome all debates and opinions, it'd make a pleasant change if more people came and joined in, it'd make a pleasant change from your questioning of anyone who has an opinion slightly different to your own. :D

I like Vik's photos that have been used in this report, just don't really agree with many of the comments about PortAventura, we left the day you arrived and we experienced a totally different PA than you did it seems, they were fautless during our four day visit.

If you were there on Saturday/Sunday you'll have seen a very different park to what we saw on Monday/Tuesday.

Scandinavia aside, I have been to most parks in Europe and sadly, Portaventura is probably the worst operationally. In fact, Portaventura is the worst operated major resort I have been to. This is incredibly frustrating, given the size of the park.

It's decent on the surface and the face of it though, and offers some high quality stuff in places, DK and Shambhala are, for example, super, but it is one of the most shallow parks I've done - as soon as you scratch below the surface, it's poor. Whether it's the lack of access between hotels, which as Sam pointed out, is quite simply incredulous, staggered ride opening resulting in barely anything to do for the first 1 1/2 hours of the park being open, entertainment being cut considerably when it's less busy or simply poor rollercoaster hardware/maintenance with the likes of Furius Baco and Stampida getting a mauling on the majority of coaster polls and forums.

What's worse is that PA has been like this for years. It was the same in 2009 - it's almost as though the very fabric of the park is full of holes.

Parks like Gardaland, Europa Park, Phantasialand, Disneyland Paris, Heide Park and Efteling seem to hit it much better for me. PortAventura seems to just fall short. If I was off to Spain again, it'd be another visit to Madrid, I am afraid.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think you see a totally different side of PA than I do, I am yet to have a bad visit there and I've been going as often as I can since the end of 2006, I've been during quiet times and very busy times, and always seem to drop very lucky compared to some people who come back from there with horror stories.

I spent a week there in August, four days in October, not once did I see a badly run park everything was run to capacity on every day unless there was an exceptional circumstance, like a break down where a train had to be taken off which I think out of 11 days on the park this year, I've seen once.

I am very much in the minority when I say it, but I really don't have an issue with Stampida or Furius Baco, I could keep going on them over and over, where as some rides I find to be really unbearable, Colossus and Coaster Express to name two.

I am not one to challenge experiences though, there's no need to lie, me or you, so it's a case of I've managed to pick my days pretty well this year and in the past where as others haven't been quite as lucky. I did speak to a few PA regulars earlier in the year after someone made a comment about PortAventura's operational procedures and they all said 'nope, business as usual' in other words great.

AstroDan said:
If you were there on Saturday/Sunday you'll have seen a very different park to what we saw on Monday/Tuesday.

Scandinavia aside, I have been to most parks in Europe and sadly, Portaventura is probably the worst operationally. In fact, Portaventura is the worst operated major resort I have been to. This is incredibly frustrating, given the size of the park.

It's decent on the surface and the face of it though, and offers some high quality stuff in places, DK and Shambhala are, for example, super, but it is one of the most shallow parks I've done - as soon as you scratch below the surface, it's poor. Whether it's the lack of access between hotels, which as Sam pointed out, is quite simply incredulous, staggered ride opening resulting in barely anything to do for the first 1 1/2 hours of the park being open, entertainment being cut considerably when it's less busy or simply poor rollercoaster hardware/maintenance with the likes of Furius Baco and Stampida getting a mauling on the majority of coaster polls and forums.

What's worse is that PA has been like this for years. It was the same in 2009 - it's almost as though the very fabric of the park is full of holes.

Parks like Gardaland, Europa Park, Phantasialand, Disneyland Paris, Heide Park and Efteling seem to hit it much better for me. PortAventura seems to just fall short. If I was off to Spain again, it'd be another visit to Madrid, I am afraid.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Couldn't agree more. I feel the resort is very disjointed and has been since Universal left - for example they *could* open their direct park to waterpark entrance in the summer, but they don't. They *could* build a path from Gold River to the other hotels or waterpark, but they won't. It seems crazy to make guests of Gold River walk through the entire park just to get to the waterpark, even though with the new expansion it is practically next door. They *could* maybe even open their rides in a reasonable fashion. They used to open Polynesia and China an hour later and that was OK, because you could still experience Mediterranea and the entire left side of the park from 10am.

It is also a shame that hotel benefits have been reduced - although I like the whole-stay Express band that you can buy, you used to get 1 or 2 Express passes free and free unlimited Express after 9pm in the summer, just like waterpark and beach club access were free, and they'd drive you to PortAventura (now Lumine) Golf for free. Additionally, kids used to get amenity packs in the rooms, whereas this year the only branded item was one bar of soap at Gold River.

With all due respect Scott, I just think that the Spanish fans have come to expect the laziness and poor operations at times, this is why it is 'business as usual', and it shouldn't be. Every day (out of 5) in August that I visited Dragon Khan only operated one train until about 2 or 3pm.

ScottPBE said:
I like Vik's photos that have been used in this report, just don't really agree with many of the comments about PortAventura, we left the day you arrived and we experienced a totally different PA than you did it seems, they were fautless during our four day visit.

As has been said above, the park seems to operate on two tiers. The weekend guests are clearly the premium customers, whereas the park don't seem to give a toss about those who come during the week, who pay their €45 to find eight closed rides and a reduced show offering. I hope you're not suggesting that people should simply only visit the park on weekends - truly top-tier parks, the likes of Efteling and Disney, offer their full service of rides whether there are fifty people on park or fifty thousand.

ScottPBE said:
I spent a week there in August, four days in October, not once did I see a badly run park everything was run to capacity on every day unless there was an exceptional circumstance, like a break down

Everything run to full capacity all eleven days you've been on park this season? I'm sorry, but I simply do not believe you. There have been numerous trips to PA by people on this forum this season, at all different times of year, and not a single person has come back saying that everything was being run to full capacity. You're telling me that every day you've been on park this season, Shambhala has been running three trains, Khan two, El Diabolical three, Stampida four and Hurakan Condor five sides? Unless the park was run on those days by a completely different team to that who have run the park for the dozens of trips I've read about just this season... I simply do not believe you, to be absolutely honest.

ScottPBE said:
so it's a case of I've managed to pick my days pretty well this year and in the past where as others haven't been quite as lucky.

You shouldn't have to be "lucky" or have to "pick your days". As I said above, the absolute top-tier parks in Europe will offer you good-to-excellent operations and a full ride line-up every operational day of the main season.

ScottPBE said:
I am very much in the minority when I say it, but I really don't have an issue with Stampida or Furius Baco, I could keep going on them over and over, where as some rides I find to be really unbearable, Colossus and Coaster Express to name two.

With all due respect Scott, I think you like Baco and Stampida because you haven't been on enough similar, but vastly superior rides across the continent. It's a shame that you've clearly been visiting so frequently and exclusively since 2006, as you've missed out on the chance to really broaden your horizons a little and put PA into context.

If you'd ridden the likes of Blue Fire, Anubis or iSpeed then you'd realise how poor Baco is as a launched coaster. If you'd ridden the modern woodies that have started popping up all over Europe, like Joris and Troy in the Netherlands, you'd realise how dire and airtime-less Stampida is.

As you don't have that experience - and let's be honest, the UK is a bit of a deadzone for launched coasters and modern woodies - then I can just about see why you might rate Baco and Stampida. In truth, your first GCI after riding Stampida would be somewhat of an epiphany. Try some different parks Scott and you may be able to understand why a lot of us find it difficult to call PA a top-tier park. :)

Ollie said:
With all due respect Scott, I just think that the Spanish fans have come to expect the laziness and poor operations at times, this is why it is 'business as usual', and it shouldn't be. Every day (out of 5) in August that I visited Dragon Khan only operated one train until about 2 or 3pm.

The fans I spoke to are UK enthusiasts who travel over to PA every year as I do, I asked them what they thought about it because more people than before were coming away from Spain saying that PA had taken a serious turn for the worse, but once I spoke to the UK enthusiasts and went myself in August I couldn't understand all the horror stories.

Sam said:
As has been said above, the park seems to operate on two tiers. The weekend guests are clearly the premium customers, whereas the park don't seem to give a toss about those who come during the week, who pay their €45 to find eight closed rides and a reduced show offering. I hope you're not suggesting that people should simply only visit the park on weekends - truly top-tier parks, the likes of Efteling and Disney, offer their full service of rides whether there are fifty people on park or fifty thousand.

Four out of 11 visits were on quiet days, I was as surprised as anyone to find the place really quiet at the start of August as were the others who visited with me, the show offerings in August on those quiet days weren't reduced but two of the days in October the show lineup was very limited but I didn't see it as a problem considering the park closed at 8pm, I wouldn't expect Pleasure Beach to run their Hot Ice matinee and their full show on a quiet day so I don't see why other parks should run shows at a peak-time timetable when the demand isn't there.

Sam said:
Everything run to full capacity all eleven days you've been on park this season? I'm sorry, but I simply do not believe you. There have been numerous trips to PA by people on this forum this season, at all different times of year, and not a single person has come back saying that everything was being run to full capacity. You're telling me that every day you've been on park this season, Shambhala has been running three trains, Khan two, El Diabolical three, Stampida four and Hurakan Condor five sides? Unless the park was run on those days by a completely different team to that who have run the park for the dozens of trips I've read about just this season... I simply do not believe you, to be absolutely honest.

I had to think about it and as a result read back on trip reports, having now read back I wouldn't say on all 11 visits it was run on full capacity but what I would say is that at all times when I've been there the capacity on the coasters has met the demand of the park hand in hand. On the four quiet days and I am talking very quiet here, the coasters ran on two trains but when they are walk on or have just enough to fill a train each time I wouldn't expect them to be running anymore than that, would you?

On the busy days I didn't see PA run at anything less than full capacity and I didn't have any issues queuing for any of their rides because I am yet to witness a slow moving queue at PA.

Sam said:
You shouldn't have to be "lucky" or have to "pick your days". As I said above, the absolute top-tier parks in Europe will offer you good-to-excellent operations and a full ride line-up every operational day of the main season.

I see your education in journalism took over there, well done on putting words in my mouth. I think you'll find what I meant by 'picked my days well' is obviously with the experiences I've had, there could have been far worse days for me to visit PA, thankfully the days I have been on this year have been great visits.

With all due respect Scott, I think you like Baco and Stampida because you haven't been on enough similar, but vastly superior rides across the continent. It's a shame that you've clearly been visiting so frequently and exclusively since 2006, as you've missed out on the chance to really broaden your horizons a little and put PA into context.

If you'd ridden the likes of Blue Fire, Anubis or iSpeed then you'd realise how poor Baco is as a launched coaster. If you'd ridden the modern woodies that have started popping up all over Europe, like Joris and Troy in the Netherlands, you'd realise how dire and airtime-less Stampida is.

As you don't have that experience - and let's be honest, the UK is a bit of a deadzone for launched coasters and modern woodies - then I can just about see why you might rate Baco and Stampida. In truth, your first GCI after riding Stampida would be somewhat of an epiphany. Try some different parks Scott and you may be able to understand why a lot of us find it difficult to call PA a top-tier park.

With all due respect, I would find it very difficult not to visit the place I regard as my favourite theme park. I may not have had the experience of some people when it comes to riding hundreds of coasters, but that does not mean I am not entitled to an opinion on the coasters I have done, I would rate the majority of coasters at PA better than anything in the UK, I also prefer them to most of the rides at Parque Warner even though I rate Batman la Fuga very highly, without doubt the best invert I've done in my opinion.

Blue Fire is a ride I'd like to do, as Europa Park is a place I'd like to visit but the opinions I've heard about the place from people not connected to this site portray a very different image to what gets said about it on here, that said I'd like to make my own opinions on it at some point in the future.

The UK is a deadzone full stop in fairness, I don't just visit PA for their rides, I enjoy the shows and the atmosphere of the whole resort.

If I want airtime I'll go on Shambhala not Stampida btw. :)

As much as I don't want to post this for fear of slightly derailing the topic, just to clarify, it's not simply TowersStreet which is some kind of island of Europa-Park fanboyism, which you are implying above. If you were to read around online, you'd find that EP gets pretty much universal praise from the vast majority of both enthusiast websites and industry bodies, THEA awards, IAAPA awards and more. Seriously, I challenge you to find justifiably negative reviews on the park. If you can find some, please link me, as I would be only too glad to read them.

Tripadvisor - No park gets such high quality feedback.

Golden Ticket Awards 2013 - 2nd best park

Coaster Kingdom Park Review

Mania Hub: EP discussion

TPR: EP discussion

I cannot stress how excellent Europa-Park is. With 12 coasters, a total of 60 rides, 15-20 different shows a day, 5 themed hotels, a water park on the horizon... and, perhaps most notably, as a park that is entirely family owned and operated, much like your beloved Pleasure Beach, you really ought to give it more of your time.

ScottPBE said:
Four out of 11 visits were on quiet days, I was as surprised as anyone to find the place really quiet at the start of August as were the others who visited with me, the show offerings in August on those quiet days weren't reduced but two of the days in October the show lineup was very limited but I didn't see it as a problem considering the park closed at 8pm, I wouldn't expect Pleasure Beach to run their Hot Ice matinee and their full show on a quiet day so I don't see why other parks should run shows at a peak-time timetable when the demand isn't there.

Yes that's correct. I wouldn't expect Pleasure Beach to either. But that's because Pleasure Beach and PortAventura are both second-tier parks. That's not a criticism in itself - not every park can be Disney or Universal. But you're making out like PA is one of the top parks in Europe, or even the world, and for those of us who have experience of parks across Europe and the United States... it just isn't. Reducing the show offerings on a weekday is fine if the park wants to stay at the level they're currently at, but if PA wants to become a world-class park like DLP or Efteling, it's something they'll have to address.

What I find much more offensive than a reduced show calendar is something you entirely failed to mention in your response. That is the eight rides completely shut mid-week, including what is ostensibly one of the park's top draws, Templo del Fuego. Please provide a justification for this. If Pleasure Beach announced that seven of their smaller rides as well as one headline ride (the National, say) were shut permanently mid-week, you'd be up in arms. Why have you totally ignored the same thing happening at PA?

ScottPBE said:
I had to think about it and as a result read back on trip reports, having now read back I wouldn't say on all 11 visits it was run on full capacity but what I would say is that at all times when I've been there the capacity on the coasters has met the demand of the park hand in hand. On the four quiet days and I am talking very quiet here, the coasters ran on two trains but when they are walk on or have just enough to fill a train each time I wouldn't expect them to be running anymore than that, would you?

On the busy days I didn't see PA run at anything less than full capacity and I didn't have any issues queuing for any of their rides because I am yet to witness a slow moving queue at PA.

The coasters were running on two trains when they were walk-on?! That's very odd, because for most of our trip, Dragon Khan was running one train with an hour plus queue. We also saw Hurakan Condor operating one side out of five with an hour queue. I find it difficult to believe when you went that Khan was running two trains walk-on (we never even saw Shambhala run three...).

I witnessed some painfully slow queues at PA. Particularly a queue for Shambhala on one train, where every other train was being filled entirely with Fastrack people. Really Scott, is that acceptable in any way, shape or form? I'm pretty sure it's not just me though. Has anyone else on the forum been this year and seen Khan running one train with a lengthy queue? I simply don't believe you Scott. The park do not run their rides at full capacity on busy days. I've been there. I've seen it.

ScottPBE said:
Blue Fire is a ride I'd like to do, as Europa Park is a place I'd like to visit but the opinions I've heard about the place from people not connected to this site portray a very different image to what gets said about it on here, that said I'd like to make my own opinions on it at some point in the future.

A very different image? That's very strange, because Europa-Park is the only theme park in the world to score a full five-star average Tripadvisor rating. That's members of the public, not us. For comparison, PortAventura and BPB each score four. Maybe they're the opinions you should be listening to - the visiting non-enthusiastic members of the public who have made it the highest rated theme park in the world?

ScottPBE said:
With all due respect, I would find it very difficult not to visit the place I regard as my favourite theme park.

It's not difficult to regard it as your favourite park if you've barely been to any other parks. It'd be like reading one book and saying "This is my favourite ever book, why would I ever read anything else?"

ScottPBE said:
If I want airtime I'll go on Shambhala not Stampida btw. :)

If not airtime, why exactly do you go on Stampida then? The lack of theming? The dreadful operations? The uncomfortable trains? The back-breaking roughness? The second half that almost stalls to a stop?

Scott, please stop being so boring and going to the same place every year and try riding some modern woodies, a GCI or a better maintained CCI like Zeus. I love EP and go every year but every time I go I always go to one or more parks that I've never been to before, so I get experiences of new types of coasters. I promise once you go on a proper woodie and know what you're talking about, you'll disown the dreadful Stampida. :)

PA have some very weird operations it must be said, whilst my visit in September was heavily skewed by the fact I was jumping every single queue I came across (the deal for the unlimited Express Pass was quite simply, too good to not have), I saw a mixture of decent operations as well as poor ones...

For example, the Friday had the limited show times (no Templo del Feugo) and 1 train ops on the B&Ms... Which isn't great really for any park... The opening times of areas is quite frankly, ridiculous and nothing but a cost-cutting measure when the best thing to do upon arrival is sit on a bench outside the B&Ms waiting for them to open (or ride things in Sesame Land)...

The ride operations themselves when I visited were quite decent, with trains bombing out of Khan and Shambles relatively well (though only ever 2 trains on Shambles, a shame), although seeing Baco with a hilarious 3 hour queue was something to behold...

I would like to think that part of the problem is the local economy at the current time, but it does seem like that if you aim to go during the quiet season to save on money you end up with barely any shows and god-awful operations... You would expect a park with a 30 minute queue on something to break out an extra train if possible... 1 train on Shambhala is beyond ridiculous... Even Chessie run Vampire better than that...

Stampida and Baco need to be burned... Or at least given new trains in the shape of Stampida (as it USED to be quite good with PTC trains), Baco cannot be saved by anything...

I don't think new trains would save Stampida. The track has been beaten to a pulp by 15 years of poor maintenance and running PTC & Kumbak trains, both of which are notorious for tearing rides to pieces. The only thing that could possibly save the ride is a complete retrack followed by the installation of MillFlys or Timberliners.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Sam said:
Yes that's correct. I wouldn't expect Pleasure Beach to either. But that's because Pleasure Beach and PortAventura are both second-tier parks. That's not a criticism in itself - not every park can be Disney or Universal. But you're making out like PA is one of the top parks in Europe, or even the world, and for those of us who have experience of parks across Europe and the United States... it just isn't. Reducing the show offerings on a weekday is fine if the park wants to stay at the level they're currently at, but if PA wants to become a world-class park like DLP or Efteling, it's something they'll have to address.

So what you're suggesting is that PortAventura have their shows on the same calendar they do in the middle of August, on a quiet weekday in April or May let's say? For me it'd be a complete waste of time, what's the use of running a show when half of your seats are empty, it'd be a waste of time and money.

We watched the Love for Vampires show on our first day in October, it was a Thursday and as we've both pointed out it was on a limited timetable. It wasn't hard to see why, we walked into the Saloon five minutes before the show started and had a choice of seat it was no where near full, if it hadn't of been for the French school trip that turned up just as it started we'd have been one of the few people in there.

Would it be financially viable to run a show hourly throughout the day when there is next to nobody watching it?

Sam said:
What I find much more offensive than a reduced show calendar is something you entirely failed to mention in your response. That is the eight rides completely shut mid-week, including what is ostensibly one of the park's top draws, Templo del Fuego. Please provide a justification for this. If Pleasure Beach announced that seven of their smaller rides as well as one headline ride (the National, say) were shut permanently mid-week, you'd be up in arms. Why have you totally ignored the same thing happening at PA?

Templo del Fuego is a loss when it's closed, but the others? I did everything I wanted to do, so they were hardly a loss especially if they were flats.

I am also happy to point out at this stage if you did your research, you'd see that Pleasure Beach have in the past including this year closed selected rides including Big Dipper during quieter days, a decision I could understand considering all but one of the selected rides were kids rides, closed when the kids were in school.

Sam said:
The coasters were running on two trains when they were walk-on?! That's very odd, because for most of our trip, Dragon Khan was running one train with an hour plus queue. We also saw Hurakan Condor operating one side out of five with an hour queue. I find it difficult to believe when you went that Khan was running two trains walk-on (we never even saw Shambhala run three...).

I witnessed some painfully slow queues at PA. Particularly a queue for Shambhala on one train, where every other train was being filled entirely with Fastrack people. Really Scott, is that acceptable in any way, shape or form? I'm pretty sure it's not just me though. Has anyone else on the forum been this year and seen Khan running one train with a lengthy queue? I simply don't believe you Scott. The park do not run their rides at full capacity on busy days. I've been there. I've seen it.

There is very little point in me replying to this if you fail to believe what I am saying, the very fact we clocked up large ride counts on Khan and Shambhala was made very easy by the two train operation on the quieter days, they both ran on three trains on the Saturday and Sunday we were there.

I've been there and I know what I saw, I have no issues waiting for either of those rides when they are on 2 or 3 trains the queues move quickly enough.

Sam said:
A very different image? That's very strange, because Europa-Park is the only theme park in the world to score a full five-star average Tripadvisor rating. That's members of the public, not us. For comparison, PortAventura and BPB each score four. Maybe they're the opinions you should be listening to - the visiting non-enthusiastic members of the public who have made it the highest rated theme park in the world?

The opinions of Europa I've heard from somebody I am good friends with and a few people at the PBE events, great park in terms of their operations and theme but the rides just aren't thrilling enough, that is what holds me back.

Considering those people who went have done over 100 coasters throughout the world with the ECC and RCCGB, I think they have a respectable opinion.

Sam said:
If not airtime, why exactly do you go on Stampida then? The lack of theming? The dreadful operations? The uncomfortable trains? The back-breaking roughness? The second half that almost stalls to a stop?

Back breaking roughness? I give up. :X

I haven't been to PA since Shambahla was installed, but I have visited at a few different types of year. Fortunately, I've never had a terrible experience, but the disparity between peak and off-season has always been pretty insulting. When the park is open until midnight in the mid-summer, I've had some of the best times of my life (perhaps similar memories keep Scott returning?), however, out of season, the operations and attitude are frequently incredibly crummy. I also agree that Baco and Stampida are beyond help, and that's despite being two of the park's biggest draws. The recent Wardley interview in which he discussed the original plan for the park to simply be full of cookie-cutter attractions is quite telling. A piece of that vision slipped through, and has remained ever since.

And not meaning to stoke a fire, but the notion that the rides at Europa aren't thrilling enough is surely patently untrue to anyone but the most nuts-and-bolts, box ticket enthusiast. Wodan alone is more thrilling than many major headline coasters.

When we went in April, it was quiet enough to ignore the major flaws and just enjoy the rides. But the thought of going there when it's even slightly busy is not something I'd ever contemplate. PA's operations make Thorpe look like EP!

I know the following points aren't directed at me, however as I agree with all of Sam's comments from the previous post I'm going to reply anyway:

So what you're suggesting is that PortAventura have their shows on the same calendar they do in the middle of August, on a quiet weekday in April or May let's say?

I wouldn't expect them to run the same calendar, but I do expect them to run all the shows at least once during the day. If a show runs 3 or 4 times on a weekend, then just cut a couple of the showings midweek. PA is highly regarded for their shows, so it isn't acceptable to not run them at off-peak times.

Templo del Fuego is a loss when it's closed, but the others? I did everything I wanted to do, so they were hardly a loss especially if they were flats.

Maybe not for you, but as a first time visitor it is a loss to me - for all I know there could have been some great rides amongst them.

I am also happy to point out at this stage if you did your research, you'd see that Pleasure Beach have in the past including this year closed selected rides including Big Dipper during quieter days

I disagree with having rides closed at any park. Closing a coaster to save money at off-peak times shows a huge disrespect to the guests who do visit on those days.

... they both ran on three trains on the Saturday and Sunday we were there.

By the time we got into the Chinese area on Sunday afternoon both were running 2 trains, though this seemed sufficient to deal with the crowds. During the week both rides opened on 1 train both days, with Khan remaining so all day on Tuesday. The queue wasn't that long in terms of the number of people in it, but we were reluctant to ride as it looked an absolute misery, not helped by the slow dispatch times caused by low staffing.

Back breaking roughness? I give up

Compared to every other CCI ride I've been on, Stampida is an absolute abomination of a ride, which is a real shame as Megafobia, Boulder Dash and Tonnerre de Zeus are all in my top 10 wooden coasters. On our first ride on Stampida me and Sam were both laughing at how utterly terrible it was, but the joke soon wore thin as we realised that this was supposedly one of the park's top attractions. It's slow, lacking in airtime and very uncomfortable unless you actively fight against it, but he roughness only serves to disguise how bland the ride actually is.

ScottPBE said:
Sam said:

The opinions of Europa I've heard from somebody I am good friends with and a few people at the PBE events, great park in terms of their operations and theme but the rides just aren't thrilling enough, that is what holds me back.

Considering those people who went have done over 100 coasters throughout the world with the ECC and RCCGB, I think they have a respectable opinion.

Well Europa isn't about thrills, so anyone looking purely for white knuckle attractions may not leave the park feeling as satisfied as the majority of others. Keep an open mind about the place and you'll be much more receptive. Too many people and too many awards contradict what others may have said to you.

:)