• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sam's PortAventura review

BigAl said:
ScottPBE said:
Sam said:
A very different image? That's very strange, because Europa-Park is the only theme park in the world to score a full five-star average Tripadvisor rating. That's members of the public, not us. For comparison, PortAventura and BPB each score four. Maybe they're the opinions you should be listening to - the visiting non-enthusiastic members of the public who have made it the highest rated theme park in the world?

The opinions of Europa I've heard from somebody I am good friends with and a few people at the PBE events, great park in terms of their operations and theme but the rides just aren't thrilling enough, that is what holds me back.

Considering those people who went have done over 100 coasters throughout the world with the ECC and RCCGB, I think they have a respectable opinion.

Well Europa isn't about thrills, so anyone looking purely for white knuckle attractions may not leave the park feeling as satisfied as the majority of others. Keep an open mind about the place and you'll be much more receptive. Too many people and too many awards contradict what others may have said to you.

:)

But then again, with Europe's second tallest hypercoaster, one of the highly rated GCI's and a 4 inverting launched megacoaster with lapbars - it's hardly lacking in thrills is it?

That was my point above, Alastair. I don't think a thrill seeker would be disappointed at Europa. Euromir, Eurosat and Poseidon are all fine thrill rides too. It's a strange attitude. It's really difficult for me to play Devil's advocate as a more casual enthusiast, because Europa is really, truly brilliant.

I was more on about if someone went to Europa expecting Magic Mountain levels of thrill rides. :p

ScottPBE said:
So what you're suggesting is that PortAventura have their shows on the same calendar they do in the middle of August, on a quiet weekday in April or May let's say? For me it'd be a complete waste of time, what's the use of running a show when half of your seats are empty, it'd be a waste of time and money.

We watched the Love for Vampires show on our first day in October, it was a Thursday and as we've both pointed out it was on a limited timetable. It wasn't hard to see why, we walked into the Saloon five minutes before the show started and had a choice of seat it was no where near full, if it hadn't of been for the French school trip that turned up just as it started we'd have been one of the few people in there.

Would it be financially viable to run a show hourly throughout the day when there is next to nobody watching it?

Not at all, and you've completely missed my point, as John has already pointed out. I wouldn't expect on the quietest days all the shows to run every hour, but I'd at least expect them all the run once to give the visitors on that day the choice to experience one of the things they've paid money to get into the park for. That's what a professional, top-end theme park would do who had respect for their visitors, who are forking out a fair amount of cash to get in. If I'm paying full rate to get in during the main season, I want all the shows to be on and all the rides to be running. That's the least I should be able to expect from a top-end park, and at PA I got neither.

ScottPBE said:
Templo del Fuego is a loss when it's closed, but the others? I did everything I wanted to do, so they were hardly a loss especially if they were flats.

I am also happy to point out at this stage if you did your research, you'd see that Pleasure Beach have in the past including this year closed selected rides including Big Dipper during quieter days, a decision I could understand considering all but one of the selected rides were kids rides, closed when the kids were in school.

You can stop chopping and changing here and there. It's hardly a loss if some of the flats were closed. Does it matter if all the shows weren't on? Well it doesn't really matter that one of the coasters is shut, there's quite a few others... where does it end Scott? I paid my money to get into the park, and I expect to have the choice to go on any damn ride I please, whether that be a teacups or a B&M hyper.

Again, I already pointed out that I would expect those kind of operations at Pleasure Beach because it is like PA, a second-tier park. No first-tier park in Europe would shut rides mid-week to save money, it is just not the done thing. Let's be honest, neither park look likely to join DLP, Efteling and a few others at the high table. Does it matter if you "did everything you wanted to do?" Why does that presume that I did, and what about the other thousands of guests who visited those days who didn't have the choice to ride those rides?

ScottPBE said:
There is very little point in me replying to this if you fail to believe what I am saying, the very fact we clocked up large ride counts on Khan and Shambhala was made very easy by the two train operation on the quieter days, they both ran on three trains on the Saturday and Sunday we were there.

I've been there and I know what I saw, I have no issues waiting for either of those rides when they are on 2 or 3 trains the queues move quickly enough.

Maybe they did run two trains on quieter days, I can't disprove your testimony. What I can say though is that myself and multiple other people in this thread have witnessed them running one train on those coasters with queues of over an hour. That simply isn't acceptable - while both rides are superb, the operations are disgraceful - the worst I've ever seen at any major park in Europe.

ScottPBE said:
The opinions of Europa I've heard from somebody I am good friends with and a few people at the PBE events, great park in terms of their operations and theme but the rides just aren't thrilling enough, that is what holds me back.

Considering those people who went have done over 100 coasters throughout the world with the ECC and RCCGB, I think they have a respectable opinion.

Wow, 100. A colossal figure. Instead of listening to your good fried "and a few people at the PBE events", why not listen to the people in this very thread who have described the park as "really, truly brilliant"? Why not listen to Tripadvisor, where ordinary members of the public have voted it as the best theme park in the world? Why not listen to the dozens of awards from the likes of IAAPA, THEA and just this week, the lauded Michelin star?

But most importantly, instead of going to the same place on holiday in Spain time after time after time, year in, year out, why not actually go and experience EP (or Efteling! or Phantasialand!) for yourself? Surely, even if it's just a "great park in terms of their operations and theme" then that's worth a first-time visit, rather than a 97th trip to PA?

By the way, the argument about Europa having no thrills is a load of rubbish. They do not have anything that's the absolute height of intensity (though PA only have Khan in that area - Baco is too horrifically traumatising to be described as 'intense'). But Wodan is one of the most intense, thrilling wooden coasters I've ever been on. Blue Fire, while gentle, is still a very thrilling ride.

Silvia is not as good as Shambhala, but a 219ft coaster can hardly be described as mild. Sat and Mir are both very intense, thrilling rides as well, as you'd know if you actually visited the park. Scott, I dare you. Hell, even have two or three other trips to PA next year. But why not make one of them a trip to EP and actually experience something new, a park that both the public and the theme park industry unanimously name as one of the best in the world?

ScottPBE said:
Sam said:
If not airtime, why exactly do you go on Stampida then? The lack of theming? The dreadful operations? The uncomfortable trains? The back-breaking roughness? The second half that almost stalls to a stop?

Back breaking roughness? I give up. :X

It's amusing the way that you try to paint my comment as some sort of lunatic fringe opinion, yet every other person in this thread agrees that Stampida is a dreadful ride (though nearly all of them have actually been on other modern woodies). A well-respected enthusiast who has a vastly higher coaster count than either you or I even described it as an "absolute abomination of a ride"

Scott, to be blunt and to risk repeating myself, if you'd actually been on some other modern woodies then you'd know how appalling Stampida is, and why it's ranked 127th on Mitch Hawker. But you haven't, so you don't.

Stampida is the definition of an average ride.

But I would hardly call it dreadful, that is over exaggeration.

I found it more re-rideable than Kahn anyhow, which just gave me a headache. I was only 13 at the time though.

I will echo what others have said about Portaventura - it's a beautiful park but scratch below the surface and more than a few things are missing.

Stampida is rubbish.

All the other CCI's I've been on, all GCI woodies (even Wildcat at Hershey) and all Intamin woodies I rate higher. I also prefer most of the PBB woodies to it, and Bandit, and Cyclone at Coney Island.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This is a really interesting thread for me as I find PortAventura to be the one park in Europe which really devides opinion.

I have to say that, based on my experience and my experience alone, I am the same as Scott as I have never witnessed the outstandingly poor operations. The parks' operations are certainly not as good as those of Europa Park or even Towers, but whenever I've been the capacity of each ride has been appropriate to the queue length. However, I cannot ignore the numerous reviews and reports of coasters runnign one train with queue exceeding an hour, reports of having just one member of staff checking every single restraint on Dragon Khan and Furius Baco (there's also video evidence on YouTube to prove the latter) and stories of the general poor running of things. Whilst I am fortuate enough to be abel to say it has never happened to me, it has just happened to far too many people for it to be brushed of as untrue.

Sam- I am interested in how you refer to PortAventura as a "second tier" park comparable with BPB, because it really shouldn't be. I mean just look at the park, it's beautiful, it has superb theming, some world class coasters and some amazing shows, so it's clearly letting itself down. I've visited 5 times since 2005 and I have noticed a change over time. There has been far more cost cutting, more staggered openings and far less benefits for hotel guests. Sadly, I don't think that being run by a Spanish bank is good for this park as it would seem that they are far too interested in controlling costs than they are in providing a great experience for their guests. It seems as though the owners give the park operators a very strict budget which they have to keep to and they don't care how they do it as long as they do. This is of course very different to Roland Mack or Disney whose primary concern is guest experience. You almost have to feel sorry for PortAventura's management for having to resort to measures such as closing rides on quiet days just to meet these budgets. :(

While we're on the subject of clsong rides, I just have to echoe what everyone else seems to be saying. If people are charged full price all rides should be open. I find it bizzare that anyone can defend decisions to close rides on off peak days. Open them late or run them on rotation if you really have to, but don't just close them! I've also noticed in recent years PortAventura have stopped advertising Templo as an attraction and now advertise it as a show so that they can get away with simply posting "no performances today" rather than advertise it as a closed attraction. Very cheeky >:D

As for the coasters, well I think we can all have different opinions on these. I personally still really enjoy Stampida and Furius Baco, despite having visited Europa Park and some other major international parks. Stampida, before the new trains. used to be one of my favourite woodies and I still enjoy it. It's no Wodan, it's not even up there with Megafobia but I still find it fun. Furius Baco may be pretty rough and rattly, but if you ask me it's still a great ride. It has a great pre-show, a fun launch and it maintains it's acceleration pretty much throughout. I don't think roughness should deter from overall enjoyment if beneath the roughness it's a good ride. I mean, we all enjoy The Ultimate right? ;D That said, Baco and Stampida are the only two coasters in the world which I wont ride from the back few rows so you could argue that even I am affected by how rough these coasters are despite the fact that I enojoy them imensley.

ScottPBE said:
Sam said:
A very different image? That's very strange, because Europa-Park is the only theme park in the world to score a full five-star average Tripadvisor rating. That's members of the public, not us. For comparison, PortAventura and BPB each score four. Maybe they're the opinions you should be listening to - the visiting non-enthusiastic members of the public who have made it the highest rated theme park in the world?

Scott- I have to admit that until recently I was the same as you and vsitied PortAventura pretty much every year without giving other European parks a chance. That changed this year when I went to Europa Park for the first time. And Scott, I would STRONGLY RECCOMEND you visit Europa. It still hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of PortAventura. I now love both parks :D I love them for different reasons, however to say that Europa Park is lacking in thrill rides in comparisson to PortAventura simply isn't true. If anything I'd actually say Europa Park has MORE thrill rides.

Lets looks at it. Rides at Europa Park built primarily for thrill seekers are Blue Fire, Wodan, Silver Star, Eurosat (a suprisingly intens coaster), Euromir, Poseidon and Atlantica Super Splash.

Compare that to what PortAventura has- Furius Baco, Stampida, Shambhala, Dragon Khan, Hurakan Condor, Tutuki Splash.... I can't actually think of any more. 7 at Europa against 6 at PA, not to mention the fact that Europa Park is better than PA for dark rides (PA has none!) and I would say there's a better choice of water rides at Europa too.

From my experience Europa's operations are flawless, PortAventura's are ok, not as good, however like I say that's just my experience. This review, for example, has really put me off visiting PortAventura in May http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2010/portaventura-1/ You never hear of these experiences at Europa.

PA seems to be one of the parks where you either go and every things close to perfect and you have an amazing time or its terrible with not much middle ground at all.

I went back in September for the first time and actually had a really good time - Park ops seemed generally good some rides only had one member of staff checking the entire train which was abit different to what am used to here but they did seem to run the rides well enough.

We was lucky enough to be there for the start of Octoberfest an had the park open till 2am on the friday and it was dead which certainly helped. We also had the hotel fastrack all week which i think also helped my positive opinion of the park although no day was especially busy.

On the Saturday we left the park was jam packed, Bacos fastrack queue was entirely full down the stairs which can't of been to much fun, we didn't spend much time on park that day so didn't get a real look at how they run when busy.

As for Bacco i don't think I've ever come of a ride with such a headache.. but in some weird way i enjoyed it, the launch was possibly the most thrilling thing I've done on a coaster so far and that was enough for me to want to do it again and again!

You found the launch more thrilling than Stealth?

Interesting.

In spite of doing TTD and KK, I have to say Stealth has the best launch of any Intamin I have done.

Baco, the trains are too heavy.

AstroDan said:
You found the launch more thrilling than Stealth?

Interesting.

In spite of doing TTD and KK, I have to say Stealth has the best launch of any Intamin I have done.

Baco, the trains are too heavy.

Yep this surprised me too - I think Stealths launch is technically faster accelerating than Baco but i found its launch a hell of a lot more intense - Maybe its the more exposed seating who knows!

Maybe it's the sheer terror that awaits you after the launch.

AstroDan said:
Maybe it's the sheer terror that awaits you after the launch.

I'll never forget the survey person's reaction to our rating of Baco being a 1 because 0 wasn't available...

Positively shocked...

I really enjoy Furius Baco as do alot of others. But the ride really sums up the whole of PortAventura in the snese that it devides opinion as much as the park itself does.

I find a lot of people do rate PA quite highly. Iv'e seen / heard "the best in Europe" a few times although I find it hard to believe.

Personally PA doesn't attract me. I wouldn't mind riding DK or Shambs, apart from that, zero interest. Baco's launch looks like it could be fun, but the layout is really bad.

Iv'e not even been to Europe, but my priority list goes; EP, Phanny Land, Asterix then PA. Neither the Merlin parks interest me either tbh.

Controversial comment about Stampida coming up! When I was there in June I thought the red side was actually quite good fun (blue was a lot rougher and not good). But I rather enjoyed red, more so than Zeus which is a coaster that I do not get what all the fuss is about. I found Zeus extremely uncomfortable to ride!

I've only been to PA once, and that was back in 2008, but I also found Stampida to be better than some people had said. I also quite enjoyed baco in the front row, although the back row was pretty awful. We also got frustrated with the operations as both Baco and Khan were only on one train.
It's a shame PA is so hit and miss as I'd love to try Shambhala, but after our last visit I'm in no rush to get back.

Rob said:
Controversial comment about Stampida coming up! When I was there in June I thought the red side was actually quite good fun (blue was a lot rougher and not good). But I rather enjoyed red, more so than Zeus which is a coaster that I do not get what all the fuss is about. I found Zeus extremely uncomfortable to ride!

Agreed, I rode the red side of Stampida, back row in the summer of last year and it was actually a lot of fun. Yes, it was very rough but it had aggressive pops of ejector air, intense laterals and the duelling/racing aspect added another dimension to the ride.

Zues on the other hand I found to be very meh. I just found it rough more than anything and whilst the ride was fun, I struggle to see why it gains such acclaim. For me, it's a coaster that suffered badly at the hands of the hype effect as I wouldn't even put it my top ten.

Must have been both running like different rides then!

Zeus is in my top 5 wooden coasters.

It quite possibly is all down to hype. I went on Stampida expecting something pretty diabolical, turns out it wasn't quite like that (the red side) and I enjoyed it. I went on Zeus expecting a top woodie, it was uncomfortable and nowhere near as good as many other woodies I'd been on, cue the let down.

Possibly, but the general consensus online, across many enthusiast sites is that Stampida is rubbish and Tonnerre de Zeus is half decent (but it's generally not viewed that amazingly - it was #1 for a few years though back in the late 1990's).

Even if Stampida was smooth, I generally found it very dull for the most part. It almost stalls in several places, slowing to a crawl on several corners! It really does lose momentum quite alarmingly, whereas on the likes of Boulder Dash, Tonnerre de Zeus and Megafobia (fobia does die for the past 5-10 seconds) - this isn't really a problem.

Boulder Dash @ 4
Zeus @ 32
Megafobia @ 37
Stampida @ 127

I also found the blue and red sides equally poor, just like in 2009 - barely any difference between them!