• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sam's PortAventura review

See now I'm far from a woody fan. Generally I just don't "get them:, unless they have something very special or notable about them (Colossos - Heide Park for example, or if it ever happened The Cross Valley Woody). In theory Zeus should be one of my lest favourite rides, but I actually loved it! It's the only woody I can say I really care for, and would ride over a fair few steel coasters.

It's that wild, untamed feeling to it. The feeling that it could shake itself to pieces at any time, which leaves you clinging on for dear life and yet having a ball at the same time :p It's a feeling that no steel coaster, no matter how rough can truly recreate. It's such an incredible sensation of fun, adrenalin, fear, and anticipation all at the same time!

I find old woodies such as the ones at Blackpool a bit boring and dull, regardless of history (Though I do have a bit of a soft spot for Nick Streak), and I find the newer ones I've ridden too well calculated and thought out (I guess in the same way some people view a lot of B&Ms). It's that transitional point where the wooden coaster was stuck between the two that I like. That point where manufacturers (CCI mainly it seems) wanted to push the boundaries a bit more, but still hadn't quite managed a flawless and perfected technique, often with hilarious outcomes (See Zeus rising up in the brakes, or trying to turn a corner smoothly when actually moving in 20 degree jolting intervals :p ). Megafobia and to a lesser extent Stampida are two that I would like to do just to see if this trend continues as it appears to in POVs (Though Stamp looks a much less exciting layout).

Nice review though Sam. I still need to get out to PA, but it's rather tragic in my opinion that a park with such beautiful areas as PA and the notable headline attractions seems to be plagued with operational standards that would make Holiday Park and Flamingo Land look like beacons of excellence :(

I am interested to know, following your post, what you find notable/special about Colossos?

I have been on it, before you ask.

:)

The height? The drop? Several points of rather punchy looking airtime? Those wonderful looking classic yet modern Intamin trains (God, something feels so unnatural about praising Intamin train design...)?

Those are just the notable things off the top of my head which draw me to it. It's a woody which like El Toro takes the approach that a woody can do the Intamin Mega Coaster style punch without being in wood for the sake of it. Were it in steel it wouldn't be the same. Not for the "woody charm" which seems to make many others popular, but for the reason that it's doing something its way. In my opinion it's one of those woodies, like Zeus, that has something rather its own to it.

I guess I would probably say the same of Balder really (Unsurprisingly, another Intamin woody!). It does what it does its own way, but in Balder's case it's less about height and drop, and more about airtime mixed with snappy transitions (Much like EGF, which is my number 1).

Anyhoo, I'll end it here before this turns into a debate about unique woodies, and less about Sam's review :p

You should note that Intamin Wooden coasters feel in no way like a wooden coaster.

Colossos feels like Silver Star, for example.

Personally, I think GCI are very commendable for their layouts, though - the way they throw in tiny little kinks and dips all over the place, makes for a wild and interesting ride. I feel as though GCI are basically doing what CCI would have moved into anyway.

It's a pity that Stampida has been ruined.

I don't know why anyone sees any redeeming features in Stampida.

The difference between the two sides (red slightly better) is negligible.

The ride is horrifically rough and the layout very poorly designed - you can almost feel all the energy drain out of the trains during the turns after they cross each other.

Other 'worst woodies' I've been on, like Bandit at Movie Park, have been vastly superior, and actually offer a bit of a fun ride, without being too painful. Stampida in comparison is pure torture.

AstroDan said:
You should note that Intamin Wooden coasters feel in no way like a wooden coaster.

Colossos feels like Silver Star, for example.

Personally, I think GCI are very commendable for their layouts, though - the way they throw in tiny little kinks and dips all over the place, makes for a wild and interesting ride. I feel as though GCI are basically doing what CCI would have moved into anyway.

It's a pity that Stampida has been ruined.

I disagree with the idea that GCI's modern coasters represent where CCI would be now. GCI were around before CCI went under and by that time, they had already established their fluid twister style and introduced their Millenium Flyer trains. It is true that they took on some of CCI's former employees when they went under but coasters built after this have far more in common with earlier GCI layouts than CCI ones.

I've always thought of Gravity Group as being a more accurate representation of where CCI would be today as they are a more direct successor. The company was founded by former CCI employees after it went bust and their coasters have much more in common layout-wise.

In reality, all of these companies have their own unique identities and both GCI and GG have CCI DNA. However, whilst GCI is in many ways related to CCI and was after all co-founded by one of its employees, I tend to think of Gravity Group as being CCI with a new brand image and a bit more edge.

Wow, there's a lot of confusing acronyms in that post!

Stampida, when using the old trains was a muchh better ride. It didn't lose momeentum anywhere near as much as it does now. Somthing must have gone horribly wrong since 2007, not just with the trains, but I would say the track as well, as it really just doesn't feel like the same ride as it used to.

Operations keep letting PortAventura down time and time again sadly which is such a shame as it's a beautiful park and, when operating well during moderately busy (but not extremely busy) periods, it can be a great park to be in. Alot of what I've read does make me hesitant about visiting during off peak, or very busy periods though, so it is obviously very difficult to decide when is the best time to go. And of course you shouldn't have to.

Beautifully written, and passionate review, as always. Thanks Sam.

I've never visted PA so I'm always interested to hear people's views/experiences, it's just a shame that the main thing that I seem to focus on is Baco. It's like wet paint for us Baco virgins, everyone tells you to stay away and you know what will happen if you don't, but you just...can't...help...it.

You could go on Baco and be pleasantly surprised. It's one coaster which really devides opinion, I could find you plenty of people who love it. I include myself in that.

Enter Valhalla said:
Don't TPR love everything though? :/

I think it's more that if you like anything they don't like, or vice versa, you get banned! ;)

Sam said:
ScottPBE said:
Four out of 11 visits were on quiet days, I was as surprised as anyone to find the place really quiet at the start of August as were the others who visited with me, the show offerings in August on those quiet days weren't reduced but two of the days in October the show lineup was very limited but I didn't see it as a problem considering the park closed at 8pm, I wouldn't expect Pleasure Beach to run their Hot Ice matinee and their full show on a quiet day so I don't see why other parks should run shows at a peak-time timetable when the demand isn't there.

That is the eight rides completely shut mid-week, including what is ostensibly one of the park's top draws, Templo del Fuego. Please provide a justification for this. If Pleasure Beach announced that seven of their smaller rides as well as one headline ride (the National, say) were shut permanently mid-week, you'd be up in arms. Why have you totally ignored the same thing happening at PA?

Out of interest, which 8 rides were closed when you went? I went to the park the other week and the place was extremely dead and all that was shut was Templo, Yukatan and the boat that takes you around the lake, oh and Tutuki Splash of course, but we knew that would be shut as it's winter season.

Everything else was open and, in most case, walk on. And guess what, we didn't witness any problems with rides being run on too few staff, the number of trains on coasters was appropriate to how busy it was, no coaster queue went over 15 mins and my only complaint would be the number of rides and catering units which opened late.

Enter Valhalla said:
Sam said:
ScottPBE said:
Four out of 11 visits were on quiet days, I was as surprised as anyone to find the place really quiet at the start of August as were the others who visited with me, the show offerings in August on those quiet days weren't reduced but two of the days in October the show lineup was very limited but I didn't see it as a problem considering the park closed at 8pm, I wouldn't expect Pleasure Beach to run their Hot Ice matinee and their full show on a quiet day so I don't see why other parks should run shows at a peak-time timetable when the demand isn't there.

That is the eight rides completely shut mid-week, including what is ostensibly one of the park's top draws, Templo del Fuego. Please provide a justification for this. If Pleasure Beach announced that seven of their smaller rides as well as one headline ride (the National, say) were shut permanently mid-week, you'd be up in arms. Why have you totally ignored the same thing happening at PA?

Out of interest, which 8 rides were closed when you went? I went to the park the other week and the place was extremely dead and all that was shut was Templo, Yukatan and the boat that takes you around the lake, oh and Tutuki Splash of course, but we knew that would be shut as it's winter season.

Everything else was open and, in most case, walk on. And guess what, we didn't witness any problems with rides being run on too few staff, the number of trains on coasters was appropriate to how busy it was, no coaster queue went over 15 mins and my only complaint would be the number of rides and catering units which opened late.

At the moment, because the park is only open Saturday and Sunday, they have the same compliment of staff on the whole time, and the park is largely empty. If the park runs everything on one train but there is literally nobody there, then there's no problem because it's not like you'll queue anyway.

When we visited at the end of October, the following rides were closed:

- Templo desl Fuego
- Yucatan
- Sea Odyssey
- Cobra Imperial
- 2 other random small rides in China that I forget the name of
- Ferry services out of Waitan Port etc.

I assure you we aren't making this stuff up, Enter Valhalla.

I would be interested to know how many staff were running Dragon Khan when you visited. I ask this because out of 40 B&M coasters I have been on, I have not yet seen one run on such low staff as I saw on DK.

:)

I'm sure you're not making this up at all Dan, I wasjust interested to know so that I can know which times of year to avoid for future visits, that's all :)

Dragon Khan was initially run on 4 staff, 2 checking bars, one op and one batcher, then from about lunch time onwards this was dropped down to 3 (batcher removed).

Shambhala stayed on 4 staff all day. Furius Baco was a similar state of affairs to DK. It's interesting to note that Baco started on two trains for the initial rush (always the busiest ride in the morning due to its location and late openings of rides elsewhere), but then at around 12-1ish, on both days we were there the second train was removed as there was no longer demand for it. This would suggest to me that the park docare about capacity more than people make out as this decision seemed to be based on guest demand and flow of people.

Enter Valhalla said:

1380403_10152325406131978_193742458_n.jpg

+ the boats from the Mediterranean to China (Port de la Drassana)

Eight rides closed. A 'major' European theme park. Not acceptable.

That's 7. Bacos Del Lago is the boat ride which you mentioned at the bottom isn't it?

Yes I agree that is too many rides to have closed. However, it depends WHY they were closed. If it was a deliberate closure to save money then yes, that's not acceptable. However if they closed them so that they could carry out maintenance work to make up for the very short closed season which they have, then I would say that's fine.

Remember PortAventura (unlike Europa Park) is open until 5th January, then back open in March. During winter season ALL RIDES are open except two of the water rides (for obvious reasons). Europa don't stretch to having all rides open and I think it's comendable that PortAventura manage to get all the maintenance work done in a short space of time and have all rides running over Christmas.

If, and only if, those smaller rides were closed to allow them to get some maintenance done then I would say that's acceptable. If it was to save money it's not. Let's also not forget that those are the least popular rides in the park, with the exception of Templo.

Bit unfair to compare winter in a Spanish Med coastal town to a tiny South German village near Switzerland though...

Even then, at Europa, only Blue Fire, Wodan and Silver Star are the non-water coasters billed as closed on the website (I believe they open when it's possible? Someone will know)...

Europa is open for winter between 23rd November and 6th January... I'm not sure when they closed after Halloween but they do have a rather similar season overall...

Considering most of these same attractions also close during peak season (say, Halloween weekdays?), it's blatantly NOT for maintenance reasons...

Those halloween weekdays are far from busy though. I'm not trying to justify PortAventura closing rides, but looking at that picture and which specific rides they do close, I wouldn't say it's that big a deal. Since the opening of SesamoAventura, I'd imagine the kids rides in the park have taken a hit and are now less popular. Yes they shouldn't close them, but unlike Europa Park which is family run and the decisions can be made in-house, PA is run by a bank. The people way way above the Park Directors will see a ride is only getting, say 30 people a day on it, and they will say that it's not worth keeping it open. It must be tough for the Park Directors who are being told to save, save , save on off peak days. I'd much rather they saved in that way than further reducing the opening times of the major coasters, which would result in far more complaints.

If I'm honest, reading reports of closed rides has made me reluctant to visit PA on off peak days. Seeing Sam's picture has confirmed in my mind that I have nothing to worry about as nearly all of those are simply "filler" rides. I will now have no worries about visting at off peak times. So thankyou :D

From Sam's review the main issue you got from the off-peak days were that some filler rides were closed?

There are tonnes more issues that are a bigger problem than those (although, with PA's low number of rides anyway, they need as many filler rides open as they can)...