• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

Why don't they bring back Doom & Sons as a family scare maze one year? They could have done something this year, considering it's 20 years since it closed. Just a random idea. :p

The Sanctuary
The Sanctuary is a new scare maze that invites guests to book an appointment at an abandoned facility, but a terrifying twist awaits.
New developments on the X Sector site have uncovered an area of the Towers where human experiments were rumoured to have taken place in the early 1900’s by a controlling force known only as The Ministry of Joy. What starts out as an innocent visit through The Sanctuary soon takes a turn for the worse. Will you make it out with a smile on your face?

Source: http://www.altontowers.com/events/Halloween-Scarefest/#ThrillAttractions

I'll be interested to see if this 'Ministry of Joy' will be part of the backstory to SW7 too... However I think this whole 'reveal' day has been crap. The random hashtags and sporadic tweets have made little sense and must be hard for the GP to follow.

Hot off the TS News press:

With the hearse now comfortably occupying its spot at the foot of Towers Street, and the Towers due to be closed in the coming weeks, this year's Scarefest is very much on the way. As such, Alton Towers have today been tweeting cryptic information regarding this year's offerings.

The park first confirmed the return of Zombies! Scare Zone, though stating its location as "a new unexplored area of the park!", as well as announcing that Carnival Of Screams is to be located near Zombies' original location, which adds weight to rumours of the Goalstriker building being a suitable scaremaze venue.

3 mysterious hashtags were included in the tweets: #SW, #TMOJ, and #TS. Two of these have now been identified as The Ministry Of Joy (seemingly an aspect of the new maze's theme) and The Sanctuary, which the Official Alton Towers Website has now been updated to reveal will be the name of the new maze for 2012, replacing The Boiler House:

"The Sanctuary is a new scare maze that invites guests to book an appointment at an abandoned facility, but a terrifying twist awaits. New developments on the X Sector site have uncovered an area of the Towers where human experiments were rumoured to have taken place in the early 1900’s by a controlling force known only as The Ministry of Joy. What starts out as an innocent visit through The Sanctuary soon takes a turn for the worse. Will you make it out with a smile on your face?"

The alleged X Sector location of the maze implies that it will tie in with the theme of next year's new major coaster, SW7. However, this begs interesting questions about its venue, given that there is no obvious space in the area itself, which is occupied by SW7's construction site. Interestingly, however, the resort have also Tweeted that a "previously undiscovered area of the Towers" has been discovered, implying perhaps that this year the Towers could be hosting two mazes.

:D

Interesting! I do quite like the sound of it and it does possibly give a little hint to the theme of SW7. I think that's it's safe to say that the maze will be in the Towers, there is no way it can be in X-Sector. However if I was to pick a fault, I'm not sure how developments on the X-Sector site have uncovered an area of the Towers, it's not as if you can dig down in that area and find more of the Towers! They could be implying that something was found to suggest that these human experiments had been taking place, such as documents about it, but it doesn't imply that. Anyway I'll stop being picky as I like the sound of the maze.

:)

Hmm I wonder what the location is going to be then, in x-sector isn't very big especially with the current construction.
Also ministry of joy sounds something straight out of 1984 - I love it!

As for zombies I pretty sure it will be the path towards dark forrest as already discussed and CoS to goal striker, which could be interesting in a metal structure that will create quite an interesting atmosphere.

Doesn't the line from the announcement - '...New developments on the X Sector site have uncovered an area of the Towers' pretty much confirm where the location of the maze will be? It seems to fit the 2 mazes in the Towers rumour that was going around earlier this year? :)

The Ministry of Joy thing still makes me wince - and the kind of 'intended to be jolly but actually freaky' sort of concept seems to echo Carnival of Screams a little too much.

^ I agree with you there, however I don't think it's quite so bad having it as the name of an organisation as it would have been if the maze had been called that.

I think it's more that with The Carnival of Screams and The Ministry of Joy you have The "insert a type of place" of "insert a description of said place". As I said though it would have been worse and more obvious if the new maze had been called The Ministry of Joy.

After the updates today I would say the zombie scarezone will go near dark forest and the carnival will be in the goalstriker, with the queue line using the path where zombie scarezone was last year.

I think the new maze sounds a bit experiement ten, so will be interesting to see if they use anything that worked well at Thorpe last year, I also think it will be in the towers and will use the exit TOTT used last year, with guests entering behind the fried chicken co. I cant see where else it could go in X Sector.

Description reads like it'll be a slight twist on Halloween Horror Nights' Psychoscareapy. If it involves an atmosphere half as good as that it'll be a winner.

If any maze comes close to Experiment 10, I may just need a coffin :-s!!

Here's hoping for some original twists this year :D

Love the way I guessed the name of the maze at 2pm, and the actual name was released at 4pm.. I'm just amazing like that. ;)

sdf.jpg

gfewg.jpg

Just thinking with the whole x-sector / towers link, and location wise I think I've cracked it.

The Sanctuary will be located (as per rumours) in the towers as a second maze* but will queue and batch in x-sector and utilise the old servants tunnel, and head into the towers from there. This way it draws additional attention to the SW7 site.
* In addition to TOTT.

My only concern is are there enough entry and exit points to provide 2 mazes

I think you've got it spot on there Ben. Then it will seem like the maze is in X-Sector, even though it really isn't. I do worry about finding 2 entrances and 2 exits for mazes in the Towers though, especially as the steps in/out of the Towers from Her Ladyship's Gardens are used as an emergency exit for TOTT.

D'you think there's enough space between the servants' tunnel and that entrance to the Towers that you could stick some kind of building there?

I don't like the concept of the Towers being used for the new maze.

The setting is what makes the Terror of the Towers so special and unique.