• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

I'm not a fan of the concept of using the Towers for this maze too. However I shall wait and see what happens. I hope they make sure theming is top quality and ensure both mazes keep distinct themes. My only worry is that TOTT's unique setting may not be so special when there is a second maze directly above it that could draw similarities with the surroundings. To make them different they need to make sure that The Sanctuary carries a theme that does not for one moment give a bit give away that you are within the Towers (aside from the obvious fact the entrance is via the Towers).

The Scarefest Freedom ticket represents poor value for money in my eyes. I can't see why anyone would want to do the scare mazes that many times. Would anyone here actually buy it?

Lots would actually, many fans visit the park 10 or more times in during scarefest and there is also a growing enthusiast community for Scare attractions. If you consider the price of the maze tickets and the fast track its not a bad price.

Dave said:
Lots would actually, many fans visit the park 10 or more times in during scarefest and there is also a growing enthusiast community for Scare attractions. If you consider the price of the maze tickets and the fast track its not a bad price.

I'd be surprised if they sold all 100, I would bet against you if there was a way we would find out for certain afterwards.

If I'm wrong then it's just a very easy way of them generating £5,000.

I think they're going to use Scarefest and fireworks very much as a 'damage limitation'-style event to re-coup every possible penny from what has reportedly been a quiet season.

It wouldn't surprise me if they put up the car parking, justfied by longer opening hours :p

The unlimited ticket i dont think is expected to particularly sell out, its been requested by certain enthusiasts to have one for a few years now. Its a very niche item hence the 100 ticket limit.

But you only have to do the mazes 4 times to recoup the cost before you consider the TotT fasttrack and i know plenty of people who went on last years mazes more than 4 times.

I think Towers will be disinterested in the numbers they actually sell as its such a small number, they just know there is a growing fandom for scare attractions and are tailoring a ticket for that small group.

Wow, not sure if this has been picked up on (I've been away for the past fortnight so haven't looked through the topic) - the prices get higher for the mazes later on in the day...

Carnival of Screams + The Sanctuary (based on the online prices shown on altontowers.com)
1pm - 3pm: £9
3pm - 5pm: £11
5pm - 9pm: £13

Why the price hike later on in the day? Unless they are providing a higher quality attraction later on then there is no need for guests who come later in the day having to pay a higher price for the same attraction.

We are therefore to presume then that the park are attempting to exploit the popularity of the later time slots, by extracting larger sums of money from their guest's pockets?

Am I the only one who feels a little aggrieved at this...?? If the earlier slots sell out quickly (which they inevitably will), those who are unfortunate to buy later in the day will be FORCED to pay extra, through no fault of their own. Even if a guests chooses to experience the mazes later, why should they pay more for the non-privilege??

At this rate, my purse might be staying shut full stop!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

i suppose the logic is that it will spread people out more evenly across the day. Early on was much quieter last year than the later slots. Its worth pointing out one of the time slots allowes for 20% discount for AP holders which is a bonus... So i suppose its a bit mixed really.

I suspect that they are trying to make the earlier times more popular by getting people to do the scare mazes that otherwise wouldn't. I'd expect this is based on usage data from last year where the earlier times were dead.

It's not actually fair to say they're exploiting later time popularity, as they haven't increased the prices for those times, they have actually lowered prices earlier in the day. Even during their busiest times last year, the paid mazes never struggled to cope.

From Alton Towers Facebook - Scarefest Event Page:

'The Alton Towers Resort’s annual Scarefest is back for 2012 with a new attraction that is set to give guests a taste of its latest ride coming to the X Sector area of the theme park in 2013. The Sanctuary will be a new scare maze that invites guests to book an appointment at an abandoned facility, but a terrifying twist awaits.

New developments on the X Sector site have uncovered an area of the Towers where human experiments were rumoured to have taken place in the early 1900’s by a controlling force known only as The Ministry of Joy. What starts out as an innocent visit through The Sanctuary soon takes a turn for the worse. Will you make it out with a smile on your face?

Details of the new ride coming to the theme park in 2013 are still a closely guarded secret but we know that people are hugely excited about its arrival and want a hint of what is to come. The Sanctuary is set to make Scarefest more terrifying than ever, and give our guests the chance to experience a preview of our new ride before it opens to the public in March.'

So it looks like The Sanctuary is based on SW7!

I think this has clinched it for me. Won't bother with scarefest this year.

I find it bizzare that the new ride is being linked to a hundred-year-old facility when the signage and lettering etc so far has been very futuristic. I doubt it'll be any sort of real preview of the new ride and it does sound quite poorly thought out.

I doubt it will be linked to SW7.

However, it will be a good way to get people over to X-Sector and make them more aware of SW7.

In terms of the theme... any bets on Boiler house sets being re-used? :p

siralgenon said:
From Alton Towers Facebook - Scarefest Event Page:

'The Alton Towers Resort’s annual Scarefest is back for 2012 with a new attraction that is set to give guests a taste of its latest ride coming to the X Sector area of the theme park in 2013. The Sanctuary will be a new scare maze that invites guests to book an appointment at an abandoned facility, but a terrifying twist awaits.

New developments on the X Sector site have uncovered an area of the Towers where human experiments were rumoured to have taken place in the early 1900’s by a controlling force known only as The Ministry of Joy. What starts out as an innocent visit through The Sanctuary soon takes a turn for the worse. Will you make it out with a smile on your face?

Details of the new ride coming to the theme park in 2013 are still a closely guarded secret but we know that people are hugely excited about its arrival and want a hint of what is to come. The Sanctuary is set to make Scarefest more terrifying than ever, and give our guests the chance to experience a preview of our new ride before it opens to the public in March.'

So it looks like The Sanctuary is based on SW7!

omigod! Wish i could go to scarefest now :( . But now it looks like The sanctuary will be sw7 themed.....! PLEASE someone post the sw7 preview! I do think all the ''previously undiscoved'' thing is just a bit repetitive but if the maze itself is good then i don't mind.

Uh, James:
The Alton Towers Resort’s annual Scarefest is back for 2012 with a new attraction that is set to give guests a taste of its latest ride coming to the X Sector area of the theme park in 2013....

It's linked to SW7 :p!!

Re: ticket prices/time slots
Okay so they're aiming to balance out the time slots - what's the betting the earlier slots go first? Eventually the slots may end up full and therefore balanced appropriately, but first come first serve on the discounted/lower priced tickets, yes?

So if I arrive on park at 11.45am one morning and wish to save myself some pennies by booking the cheaper slots, I'm pretty sure I'd be struggling, because won't everyone else have had the same idea? If they're sold out, I'm then forced to pay out extra to do the same attraction, just at a different time.

I don't agree with it at all I'm afraid, but there again, my opinion won't line the pockets of the park!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Sazzle said:
Uh, James:
The Alton Towers Resort’s annual Scarefest is back for 2012 with a new attraction that is set to give guests a taste of its latest ride coming to the X Sector area of the theme park in 2013....

It's linked to SW7 :p!!

Ooops, fail. :p

I have been out the loop for a few weeks. :p

I still have bets we'll be seeing Boiler House sets being re-used though. I'm smelling a hint of Boiler House here (even though on the face value they appear to be different themes).

Sazzle said:
So if I arrive on park at 11.45am one morning and wish to save myself some pennies by booking the cheaper slots, I'm pretty sure I'd be struggling, because won't everyone else have had the same idea? If they're sold out, I'm then forced to pay out extra to do the same attraction, just at a different time.

To add to your post, Saz. Guests will also be more likely to pre-book tickets online now with there being different prices at different times. This could cause lack of tickets available for guests who decide to buy tickets on the day. It's a flawed system and further shows how money grabbing the park and Merlin have gotten.

IMO, if it costs more later in the day, then the guest should get more for their money, more time in the maze, different scenes... otherwise guests are paying more money when others aren't - for the exact same product. It's blatant robbery. It's like Tesco selling a loaf of bread at £1.10 between 8am - 12pm then between 12pm - 6pm selling it at £2.50 - it makes no sense whatsoever and I can see Alton finding themselves receiving many complaints over this.