• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

Also to add the £9, £11 & £13 aren't the final on the day prices, as these prices are only if you book before the 31st August...

So my guess the prices will be £10, £12 & £14 online on the 1st September and will probably be the final on the day prices...

Well have discussed this with the other half and we wont do any mazes apart from the Towers one. I'll find out what happens on the forums with the new maze before we go and make a judgement then, but not going to pay that much. We will be there from 10:00 through till closing probably and will no doubt be spending plenty during the day!!

Is someone able to explain the difference in pricing and costs between this year and last?

They were £12 for the whole of Scarefest last year (all time slots, each day), apart from the odd 50% off offer for annual pass holders, and 20% preview discounts on the first day...

Ah okay... So they've basically increased later on and reduced early on to try and balance it out - which isn't as bad as I thought.

(I assumed two slots were price rises which would have been highly unfair)

The prices where also £12 the year before so this is the first price increase in 2 years and it only affects 1/3 of the operating day, i don't see a huge problem really. The alternative is charging everyone a higher ticket price to get in like Thorpe do. But some would argue that is unfair on those who dont want to do the mazes.

In regards to the new pricing structure of the mazes, I personally think it is a good idea. Clearly in the past there has been more demand for later time slots, and with there being more demand a price increase can easily be justified. The earlier times slots are now cheaper than last year, which is good, with only the 5-9pm time slot, by far the most popular slot, having a £1 increase. Personally I think this is a good deal for everyone, especially annual pass holders who get 20% off the 5-9pm slots making the price £10.40 which is also cheaper than last year. It means that annual pass holders will always be paying less than they did last year; a price reduction. To me that's great news, Towers/Merlin giving something back to their loyal guests.

:)

By the time 13th October arrives I can see the 5pm - 9pm slot being £14...

Each slot will have either 50p or £1 increase on the 1st September, but I could be wrong... 8)

Something I've just noticed in the small print regarding the Scarefest Freedom ticket:

altontowers.com said:
Scarefest Freedom ticket - Please note there are only 100 Scarefest Freedom tickets available, exclusively for Annual Pass holders. These passes will only be available to purchase online and to be collect from the Resort Box Office after 21st September. Terms & Conditions - Please note, this pass does not include Theme Park entry or Fastrack to Carnival of Screams or The Sanctuary. Fair usage policy applies - you may be asked to return at a later time slot at peak times. Subject to availability.

This implies that this year the 2 pay mazes will have fastrack, as well as TOTT. How this would work exactly I don't know. They may just be putting it in the T&Cs of the Freedom ticket as that ticket includes TOTT fastrack and they don't want people assuming they can walk straight in to the pay mazes though. You never know.

It's in the terms only because you get TOTT fastrack like you say, but you have to queue as normal for the paid mazes...

Out of interest who on here is thinking or will get one of the Freedom Passes, as I'm quite shocked at the minimal discussion about them so far?

Seems very good value to me... :)

Well I'm definatley getting one when they come on sale. I'll be visiting more than 10 times, going on each maze probably twice each visit. It's definatley worth the money!

Dean said:
It's in the terms only because you get TOTT fastrack like you say, but you have to queue as normal for the paid mazes...

Out of interest who on here is thinking or will get one of the Freedom Passes, as I'm quite shocked at the minimal discussion about them so far?

Seems very good value to me... :)

Did wonder if that was the reason. Thought it would have been strange for fastrack on the pay mazes.

As for the Freedom Ticket, I'm seriously considering getting one. I think it is very good value if you are going to go a few times and fastrack of TOTT could be very welcome!

The Freedom Ticket is good value, if you're an addicted/obsessive over the mazes.

I usually do them 3 or 4 times each over the event, so the value of them for me is touch and go.

I like to go abroad during the main half term, to experience halloween events at other parks, so don't usually get as much out of Scarefest as some others.

One thing I have to say about The Sanctuary.

I hope it doesn't end with a flippin' strobe maze finale. We have enough of them.

ToTT Finale = Strobe Maze
Carnival of Screams Finale = Multi Colored Strobe Maze
Sub Terra Finale = Strobe Maze(ish)
(Boiler House Finale = Strobe Maze)

I wish they could come up with a more imaginative ending.

The terms are slightly different on the buy page:

You will be be able to collect your Scarefest Freedom pass from the Alton Towers Resort Box Office from 21st September 2012. You must show your valid Merlin Annual Pass when you pick up your Freedom Pass. Pass is subject to Terms and Conditions - Fair usage policy applies. Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to withdraw any attraction on the pass at any time. This pass does not guarantee entry to the mazes- entry is subject to usual Maze restrictions. Fastrack is only available on Terror of the Towers. The other two mazes require you to join the main queue. You will be be able to collect your Scarefest Freedom pass from the Alton Towers Resort Box Office from 21st September 2012

So there is no mention of fastrack other than for TOTT.

Im tempted as last year I would have spent close to £50, the only thing is I wouldnt want to buy one of these then not know anyone to do the mazes as I wouldnt want to go on my own.

You'll be on the meet I take it and visit mid week with some others?

You'll get use of the pass when they do the paid mazes, only thing that will be an issue is using the TOTT fastrack side of the pass...

As for the paid mazes your either going to show your pass and that gets you entry (just by showing your pass) OR you have to get a time slot like everyone else, but the cost would be free.

So being with everyone for the paid mazes should be quite easy...

I wonder what the Fair Usage policy is? Presumably no re-rides within a certain amount of time?

I'm tempted by it, but I'd only buy it if others here were to. There's no fun in being the only one with the pass and if the majority of people here aren't going to get it, i'd still prefer to queue with them than to split off and take Fastrack on TOTT, for example.

Fair usage policy applies - you may be asked to return at a later time slot at peak times.

I think the fair usage policy means in busy times you may be refused entry to the paid mazes, and asked to return later. But then you would still have to queue, which you could be waiting a long time...

Can't see the TOTT fastrack side being restricted to heavily unless you totally abuse the system...

I've purchased one, but I'm certainly not planning to re-ride the mazes. I've mainly got one to be able to enter the paid mazes each time I visit the park without paying each time...

Other than the main days of Scarefest the people that have one will be so dotted around that this will not have an impact on the through put of the mazes... :)