• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2013: Discussion

They did stopping and talking scenes in bloodfest banquet TotT, it just lost the whole pace of the Maze (for me). It suits a small group of people who like the theatrical but for most it's watch-looking time until the thing starts moving again.

My one point of agreement though is Sanctuary finale, its a strobe maze and nothing beats the Strobe maze that is set up about 6 metres down the corridor for TotT. It could do with something to pepper that scene up.

That survey seems a little bit leading.

Alton Towers always come up with new ideas for Scarefest
Scarefest is the same every time I go
Scarefest is becoming boring

I would expect to see something new at Scarefest every time I visit
Scarefest at Alton Towers Resort was unique but now I can experience the same kind of thing elsewhere
I choose to visit Alton Towers Resort at Scarefest because there is extra entertainment for Halloween

Right. As I have a scarefest/frightnight date birthday. I have the difficult decision. AT or TP... I only chose AT in 2010. apart from it being a bit damp it was brill. I went TP in '09 Amazing. ( I was only 10)
But after looking at peoples reviews on SF for the 2011, we went TP instead. Then TP again in 2012 as the swarm had opened. Now it looks like another TP trip this year too. Shame really as I like alton. But driving 200 miles for a cut and boring event, with no rides in the dark. No thanks. I will take the 50 mile trip to thorpey any day. :I This is all based on guest experience, on that thorpe wins every time. Alton crashes and burns due to poor effort in general. :(

Hard to say until the events start, if your trip is during the shorter days though Thorpe might be a better option though their opening days are a bit mixed up.

As for Thorpe winning on guest experience, for halloween alone i would agree for 2011 but not in 2010 and 2012... If your talking season round, you only get a good experience at Thorpe if you buy Fastrack.

God knows what will happen this year, depends on what Thorpe pull out of the bag really.

The Scarefest line-up has been officially announced via http://www.altontowers.com/events/Halloween-Scarefest/#HalloweenScarefest! It's the same as last year with one noticeable change:

Thrill attractions:

-The Sanctuary
-Terror Of The Towers: What Lies Within
-Carnival Of Screams

Family attractions:

-Franllyn's Freaky Fun Zone
-Skelvin's Spooky Storytime
-Phil & Franklyn's Ghoul School
-Patch's Freaky Talks
-Character Meet 'n' Greets

With the noticable change of wording from 'Franklyn's Freaky Farm' to 'Franklyn's Freaky Fun Zone' could it be this 'attraction' has moved from Old MacDonald's Farmyard to another area of the park in preparation for 2014's new area/attractions?

v6K0cEg.png

Carnival is now the free maze with the other two being paid mazes.

I hope that they add some more attractions though. I would've liked to see another scare zone at least but there's no chance in it happening.

As I said on the previous page with the noticable change of wording from 'Franklyn's Freaky Farm' to 'Franklyn's Freaky Fun Zone' could it be this 'attraction' has moved from Old MacDonald's Farmyard to another area of the park in preparation for 2014's new area/attractions?

So The Sanctuary is the only pay maze now, as it states the Carnival is Free and ToTT is included with your theme park ticket.

It says that entrance to Terror of the Towers is included with the entry ticket and that it is open until 9pm. Clearly the website is...not clear.

Could this be to do with improvements being made on Terror of the Towers so it's much better? I do hope so as it would mean that the whole maze is refreshed...

Wouldn't surprise me if they made TotT pay-for because most people preferred it to CoS. Afterall, why pay for a worse maze when the one that's free is far better?

The place is a joke and comes across as amateur right now. At least ask someone to proof read before making the site live - it is literally contradictory at the moment.

I like the fact that the Franklyn's Freaky Zone logo still says 'Farm' Despite the fact that it's going to be in Fountain Square! :p

Seriously though... Ughhhh! :(

LOL. So the two mazes that have been free in the past are now an upcharge?

Yeah the website is a bit unclear at the moment.

My money is on TotT and Sanctuary paid and Carnival free. Can't say i'm overly keen but the general public wont even notice. I suppose there is some logic in making the 2 longer mazes (and usually better mazes) paid but at the same time i worry that Carnival wont cope with the queue a free maze gets, also having a good maze free is good advertising for the paid ones.

If i'm honest it wont make a huge difference to me as TotT queue was too long without using FT so i didn't ride it without paying anyway (via the freedom pass last year). Considering i was expecting all three mazes to be paid for this year this is annoying but could have been worse.

Not a lot of enthusiasm is there for Scarefest this year :D

I think the fact that TOTT has been free and incredibly popular after more than a decade of operation, people will notice and be turned off. That is if it is going to be paid. The website could strictly be true if it's pre-book in advance only (but still free). It's possible that it will remain open after a 7pm ride close also. Who knows, it's just not clear at all at the minute.

I suspect its location didn't help (compared to the popular Carnival of Screams last year), but The Sanctuary was absolutely dead last time. Bringing it back as a paid attraction after it being free earlier in the season is a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Tom said:
I think the fact that TOTT has been free and incredibly popular after more than a decade of operation, people will notice.

I suspect its location didn't help (compared to the popular Carnival of Screams last year), but The Sanctuary was absolutely dead last time. Bringing it back as a paid attraction after it being free earlier in the season is a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Sanctuary has a higher through-put than Carnival hence why it never got a huge queue, it was also deceptive as a fair amount of queue fitted in the conservatory where-as Carnivals queue is all outside.

Think 99% of maze tickets are sold as the combi so both are as popular as each other.

Just asked a few non-geek friends who usually go to SF what they thought, they didn't seem to give a monkeys. Though i'm not best pleased, just making a point. Certainly think the 7pm closing is a bigger issue for most than which maze is free (make them all free).

I'm not overly fussed with Scarefest this year. Will probably visit once, although can't complain as I'll save money. :p