• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

Seriously, how difficult is it to impress a five year old? A sticker for each thing found. 50p? Kid is impressed, could have charged only £1.50 and still made a profit!

I am really not against extras like this. Not really sure why people would expect this to be free given the volume of guests attending.

Because they ran a successful scavenger hunt in February for free? I don't see why a change of decoration should consequently install an unjustified price tag.

Because they ran a successful scavenger hunt in February for free? I don't see why a change of decoration should consequently install an unjustified price tag.

The extra running costs? The extra staffing costs? The fact it's not got a big sponsor?

I am vociferous in my criticism, and £7 for families is too much. But I don't share the reasoning this should be free.

There are many things we can slam Merlin budgets about but things like the Towers sleep over (which it would appear, was over priced, and not selling?), the dining experience, the trick or treat thing, for the right price I really am not at all against them charging for things like this.

What annoys me, is when the free event is essentially made worse value, THEN they add a load of up charge things. That is where it's gone too far.

The extra running costs? The extra staffing costs? The fact it's not got a big sponsor?

I am vociferous in my criticism, and £7 for families is too much. But I don't share the reasoning this should be free.

There are many things we can slam Merlin budgets about but things like the Towers sleep over (which it would appear, was over priced, and not selling?), the dining experience, the trick or treat thing, for the right price I really am not at all against them charging for things like this.

What annoys me, is when the free event is essentially made worse value, THEN they add a load of up charge things. That is where it's gone too far.

The rest of the family entertainment has always been free. The Trick or Treat show, always free. I can see why they would charge extra for the thrillseekers who are less likely to show up as a family, but adding extra costs onto an already ridiculously expensive day out for a family is downright bitter and uncalled for. Trails such as this up and down the country always tend to be free or significantly less.

I'll be so sodding glad when Scarefest is over, at least they have no viable way other than the VIP experience of conning the nation out of money for Fireworks.

Its less to do with charging something, and more to do with charging an outrageous amount. I know a family, who have seven kids, five all very similar ages (granted they're now grown up), including triplets. Can you imagine the prices for a family that big?

I'll be so sodding glad when Scarefest is over, at least they have no viable way other than the VIP experience of conning the nation out of money for Fireworks.

I have to say, not being around forums or these events for many years (only quite recently by all accounts) this is by the far the most disappointed, bordering on actual anger, I have seen everyone.

We may disagree on some of the semantics of Scarefest but it's clear everyone is united on the fact, the way this is going, isn't acceptable.

I actually welcome some of the additional up charge events, they will add to the atmosphere and feeling of an event. But 7 quid a child for this is just silly and does feel like it's ripping families off. It REALLY needs to be good for that price that's for sure.

It needs to be beyond anything Disney can conjure up for that, but I think we've established a very long time ago that this won't happen.

In better news, as rumoured park lighting should be better this year, as the temporary generators have coloured bulbs:

10423658_762788600458253_4738143559608086141_n.jpg

Hopefully it is all of them that have the bulbs and not just some!

:)

Atmosphere is pretty good at Towers already I think - but the majority of generators have coloured bulbs in them (along with permanent lighting towers too) should now add that extra bit to it.

The rest of the family entertainment has always been free. The Trick or Treat show, always free. I can see why they would charge extra for the thrillseekers who are less likely to show up as a family, but adding extra costs onto an already ridiculously expensive day out for a family is downright bitter and uncalled for. Trails such as this up and down the country always tend to be free or significantly less.

The trick or treat show is still free, there are at least four different shows in Fountain Square this year included in the admission price. This trail is an added completely optional extra, as others pointed out, you could just spend the cash on a large Pic'n'Mix tub instead.

The do get more money out of people for the fireworks, Kelloggs 2for1 vouchers aren't valid on the 8/9 November.

The trick or treat show is still free, there are at least four different shows in Fountain Square this year included in the admission price. This trail is an added completely optional extra, as others pointed out, you could just spend the cash on a large Pic'n'Mix tub instead.

It shouldn't be an optional extra. I can't see any other park charging for a trail activity, so why do Towers feel compelled to? The scare mazes can be justified to an extent for paid admission, but not a trail activity.

As for Fireworks, guests aren't prohibited from using the online admission which isn't as bad. I was referring however to "optional extras" but you've missed the point.

Nice to see Dark Forest bathed in green lighting. Only took them 4 years... :p

If the main areas of the park have coloured lighting like that then I will be very impressed!

They're certainly earning brownie points back with the lighting:

10445916_762843110452802_8543121560578449348_n.jpg

Image from TowersStreet Facebook

I was reserving judgement on Scarefest as a whole until I saw the quality of the lighting. If what is seen in Dark Forest is of a similar quality park wide, I think I can forgive them for getting rid of Carnival. Just.