• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2015

If in doubt always use Europa park as a glowing reference to total destroy other parks God bless the holy land

Dunno, their event is great and value for money is top, but their mazes are a bit average and badly batched.

Alton Towers has posted a video as a fake news report about ToTT. It seems the Urban Explorers theme has returned once again for this year. This video contains uses of Pete Cliff. :p

Alton Towers has posted a video as a fake news report about ToTT. It seems the Urban Explorers theme has returned once again for this year. This video contains uses of Pete Cliff. :p

I quite like that video, nice to see Scarefest really being pushed forward this year.

:oops:Had the scaffold in the upstairs window always been there
4CC848A4-E9EE-4578-947A-B64B8541E858_zpsnkfcozjw.jpg

The angle of the old photos is different to yours @bluesonichd so it would be difficult to tell for sure, but it is interesting.
I haven't been inside the towers expect from the Hex queue line, but that looks quite high considering the mote like drop around the front of the building. (hence why a temporary bridge has been needed)
So I wonder what they would need scaffolding that high for:confused:

Ahh but still, what would they need scaffolding that high for. It looks like there's planks (floor) near the window as well.

Unless we've all read too much into this & their only doing building maintenance:oops:

Ahh but still, what would they need scaffolding that high for. It looks like there's planks (floor) near the window as well.

Unless we've all read too much into this & their only doing building maintenance:oops:
This is definitely for Scarefest. And with regards to the window, there could be part of one of the mazes on that level. Only time will tell. :)

The scaffolding may just be there so they can block out a window.

As for the touchy-ness of End Games, I quite like the idea as long as it's executed properly. If they just grab you for no reason then it'll be a pointless addition designed to scare cheaply, rather than building up real jump scares. I remember Carnival in 2011 used one of the characters to blow on the back of your head as part of the introduction before the gorilla, which, in my opinion, worked well as it was an unexpected twist. More of that slightly increased in physicality would be great.

I really don't mind paying £20 for mazes considering it's £45 for the full day out, and when I payed £25 (I think) for three mazes at Farmaggedon a few years back, Scarefest offered way better value for money. They haven't just plucked this price from thin air and would've looked to see what competitors are charging for their mazes. By removing the free maze and thus increasing the price, I guess the logic is that it justifies them spending more to create better mazes as they will receive more money back.

The scaffolding definitely wasn't in that window last week.

RE Leah; Yup i was inferring that the evening thing was too expensive in my statement about 2 hours, encased in a smattering of sarcasm.

Just been today and to confirm, there were 3 "doors" with scaffolding around them. 1 directly next to the designated smoking area, and one just around the corner with 2 doors, one over the other. Is it a possibility that its the exit to end games as the exits are right next to each other.

My concern with touching being allowed in End Games is it could result in actors just relying on you being freaked out by a stranger in a costume touching you rather than trying to scare you properly. That's what was happening the last time I did The Asylum at Thorpe's Fright Nights. It felt like a waste of the not inconsiderable queue time because it was more annoying than scary. It was clear that if you weren't bothered by the touching they didn't know what to do at all, whereas Towers' mazes, though very stale for the past few years, have generally contained actors that make much better use of the maze environment to get you than Thorpe's.

Towers are confirming to individuals on social media that closer to the time, individual / combo maze tickets will be able to be purchased rather than all three together to £20.

You can get into one of the country's many scream parks for that price.

So, despite an attempt to revamp Scarefest with a line up that barely matches the amount of entertainment on offer several years ago which was far cheaper, there is once again absolutely no reason to visit Alton Towers over October this year.

When they start competing against other Halloween events across the country (and Europe it seems), maybe I'll take an interest in Scarefest again. Maybe.

Blimey, Pete, even by my standards that's a tad harsh.

I like it, sir! Clearly, I'm going to have to up my game if I want to retain my title for another year! :p

You can get into one of the country's many scream parks for that price.

So, despite an attempt to revamp Scarefest with a line up that barely matches the amount of entertainment on offer several years ago which was far cheaper, there is once again absolutely no reason to visit Alton Towers over October this year.

When they start competing against other Halloween events across the country (and Europe it seems), maybe I'll take an interest in Scarefest again. Maybe.

I agree with you on the pricing, Towers are charging an absurd amount for this which is a real shame. I disagree with you about the line up though - how do three mazes (two of them new, one re-routed) and two new scare zones barely match the three mazes we had in the past? On the face of it things look very good and far far better than anything we have had in the last few years.

Of course the final judgement will all depend on the execution of the mazes and scare zones. If they are all well done then this will go down as one of the best Scarefests. If they are poor then it could be one of the biggest rip-offs of all time.

It certainly isn't fair to dismiss it as a non-event at this stage.

:)

I'll keep this quote on hand for when I am suggesting that enthusiasts will never be happy, no matter what the operator puts forward. Don't go - everyone else will have a great time.