• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2015

I can see why a lot of people get annoyed at the same paid for attractions year upon year, particularly with the ever-increasing pricing for these things!
I don't know a great deal about the numbers involved with building one of those mazes, but I think there is an element of long term investment in them. They have pretty high staffing costs. Also, I would suggest that it isn't uncommon in the industry for things to be reused. I would also question how much Joe Public notice that a storyline hasn't changed - or that there is even a storyline at all.

Let's see what this year brings. Whatever keeps the share price in my favour, I'm happy :)

I don't know a great deal about the numbers involved with building one of those mazes, but I think there is an element of long term investment in them. They have pretty high staffing costs. Also, I would suggest that it isn't uncommon in the industry for things to be reused. I would also question how much Joe Public notice that a storyline hasn't changed - or that there is even a storyline at all.

Let's see what this year brings. Whatever keeps the share price in my favour, I'm happy :)
Apologies, I meant the prices they charge to experience the attraction, not the cost of building it. :)

Apologies, I meant the prices they charge to experience the attraction, not the cost of building it. :)
Everything goes up every year across the park - that's nothing out of the ordinary. I understand the frustrations but that's just the way it goes.

Also inflating is the payroll of zombies on the minimum wage (or minimum wage + x% before someone tells me zombies earn more than the minimum wage)

just hope they get rid of any strobe effects, because last year I couldn't see jack!
it aint big, it aint funny and it aint clever!

They have to change it every so often, even one of my friends, who visits every year or two, paying full price, has noticed that the mazes are not changing and has said she won't go this year unless they change.

I don't think people have a problem with attractions staying the same for years. Although everything should be on a rotation so there are improvements/something new every year and every 5 years or so the event is completely different.

I think it only wise for scare mazes to run on a 3 year cycle - 4 at absolute maximum if the story is evolving and adding new scenes. Towers used to run all of their mazes on 3 years but now it seems they just stick with the same thing for as many years as they can get away with.

I would also question how much Joe Public notice that a storyline hasn't changed - or that there is even a storyline at all.

You'd be surprised actually. The people who I've been to school with these past few years have complained about how boring Scarefest has gotten, as there's nothing new to entice them back - And these people live minutes away from the park.

Also, I'm sure I've read some negative comments on the Alton Towers Facebook page regarding the lack of investment in the event.

You'd suit a top job at Merlin with that mentality! ;)

The scare market at Halloween is big business now though and lots of smaller events across the country are picking up a very good reputation. Towers are somewhat in competition with these now as much as they may be with other theme parks. Scarefest needs a totally new feel this year as the last couple of years has become very boring. If we were to get the same stuff again I would not be spending any money on the mazes.

I'm not sure how successful Scarefest was last year, the queues for the mazes never really seemed that long at all compared to previous years. Hopefully this was the case and Merlin have realised that it needs some new investment.

Also with guest numbers down in a big way this year, Towers need to push Scarefest and Fireworks like crazy!

:)

I'm thinking of going this year, just to do the rides in the dark, maybe the free scare zones. Don't think I'd pay for the mazes.

I think it only wise for scare mazes to run on a 3 year cycle - 4 at absolute maximum if the story is evolving and adding new scenes. Towers used to run all of their mazes on 3 years but now it seems they just stick with the same thing for as many years as they can get away with.
"Guests don't want storylines" - John Wardley. Unfortunately, I think that is true, in part. How many people just wander through with the key desire to be scared in some way - that's what it's all about. A loose theme or narrative is fine, but a storyline that evolves etc - it's wasted effort for the bulk of guests (but the majority of this forum, no doubt). I've been through ToTT every year it's been there and I don't think I could tell you if anything has changed/stayed the same. That's not what I am there for.

Also, below is relevant to your comment.

what lies within... I can tell you what lies within... Nothing exciting

You'd be surprised actually. The people who I've been to school with these past few years have complained about how boring Scarefest has gotten, as there's nothing new to entice them back - And these people live minutes away from the park.

Also, I'm sure I've read some negative comments on the Alton Towers Facebook page regarding the lack of investment in the event.
I hear you - but, I would suggest that the decision to keep the attractions relatively similar is being made by the company who have access to the Scarefest balance sheet. If those attractions were under performing, something would change, but the cost to replace them must vastly exceed the potential that is generated with what currently exists.

Don't forget (and I think enthusiasts forget this all too often) that some attractions (whether regular or seasonal stuff) are 'new' to a whole new generation every year. The fact that they are old and tiresome to you guys, is irrelevant in that case.

If ToTT wasn't hauling in the £s, it wouldn't be there, you know that. There are lots of things that enthusiasts accuse Merlin (or M£rlin if you're a true hater ;-)) of - but leaving money in the wallet of guests is not one of them :)

What I do think we could see is the shifting of props between Merlin properties - that's an easy way to provide 'new' attractions/themes to this kind of event relatively cheaply. The Sea Life model, if you will.

ToTT has practically been unchanged since opening in 2009 IMO
You could take the view that it's a brand and an attraction in itself that comes out once a year and that you don't want it to change - but again, some people want it to evolve, I am sure. In some ways, with an up-charge attraction enclosed in a building, it's not a bad thing for guests to know what they're getting. Also, my above comments links to this.

You'd suit a top job at Merlin with that mentality! ;)
One would suggest that those without that mentality wouldn't have a top job at Merlin (or any other public company) for very long if they didn't :)

Also with guest numbers down in a big way this year, Towers need to push Scarefest and Fireworks like crazy!
Absolutely, but whether that translates to huge cap-ex with an already lacklustre balance sheet remains to be seen. Depends what view they take. If the finances are hurting, you've got to wonder if they'll do what they can with what they've got, busting cap-ex projects is the quickest/easiest way to cut costs particularly if the project isn't going to recoup its investment for x years.

Well, I read most of that. Are you sure you don't work for merlin, it really sounds like it. I'd say maybe 40% of the people who go into the mazes, like having a storyline to it. Yes most go in for thrills and to be scared, but more intelligent people do get bored without the story.

I have a question @Rick, do you personally like the mazes having a storyline, weather you think it is worth it or not?

"Guests don't want storylines" - John Wardley. Unfortunately, I think that is true, in part. How many people just wander through with the key desire to be scared in some way - that's what it's all about. A loose theme or narrative is fine, but a storyline that evolves etc - it's wasted effort for the bulk of guests (but the majority of this forum, no doubt). I've been through ToTT every year it's been there and I don't think I could tell you if anything has changed/stayed the same. That's not what I am there for.

Not true, you're taking John's quote out of context. What he means is they don't need a heavily narrated story with a beginning, middle, and end. EVERY single ride based around some kind of theme has a story to it. Dark rides are always more story based than other rides, and a scare maze is just a dark ride but with live acting and without the people mover.

Field of 1000 Screams is a great example of a maze held in high esteem, with a story that evolved each year - the theming though was always recycled but it didn't feel like the same maze each year.

ToTT's What Lies Within has received the odd new scene and tweaks but it's 95% the same maze which has been running for 6 years. It's gone too far and been well and truly milked. Even when it was the Bloodfest Banquet story, it changed from year to year.

As much as I love the story lines for these attractions, it is wasted on some guests, but I wouldn't say it was wasted on so many that they shouldn't be about. It's great to know the story behind the attraction, adds a whole new level of immersion.

I will say that Towers had nothing to do with Terror of the Towers; it was originally done by Lynton Harris (who did The Freezer and all the Tussauds Scare Mazes originally) Towers have since changed TOTT over the years.

John will always say story is first and foremost the most important factor - as we're working with theatre here. Sometimes an issue is that guests can't comprehend a story that is flung so quickly at them - but a well told experience (Hex, SubTerra) can be very effective.

I can confirm that this year's Scare Fest will be great! :)

I will say that Towers had nothing to do with Terror of the Towers; it was originally done by Lynton Harris (who did The Freezer and all the Tussauds Scare Mazes originally) Towers have since changed TOTT over the years.

John will always say story is first and foremost the most important factor - as we're working with theatre here. Sometimes an issue is that guests can't comprehend a story that is flung so quickly at them - but a well told experience (Hex, SubTerra) can be very effective.

I can confirm that this year's Scare Fest will be great! :)

The concept of a ruins terror attraction and the name was Lyntons and I think the same name will be around for a while. But Towers changed the story and a lot of the internal theming in 2009. I also think TotT will stick to a "ruins" story for a while (not the current story though) as it fits the building.

I echo Nick though that as I have already said all indications are that Scarefest this year will be a step up.

Lynton only designed the first Terror of The Towers in 2002, that was it's only name, and it didn't really work so well. It was just full of random ghouls, ghosts and monsters. Towers themselves redesigned it for 2003 using most of the same props and layout but gave it a more cohesive story, themed as Bloodfest Banquet. The master of the house was a cannibal and the servants throughout the maze were there to prepare you for the banquet.

ToTT: 2002
ToTT Bloodfest Banquet: 2003, 2007, and 2008.
ToTT What Lies Within: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.....