• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2015

Here's a nice little wallpaper from 2003 if anyone wants it, shame they don't make stuff like this now eh:

1024x768_tott_2003.jpg

And now, it's going back to terror of the towers original, because apparently, people don't what storylines, they want random monsters jumping out at them for no reason (*cough* duel *cough*)

Was there no Scarefest event between 04 and 07?

Nope. 2004 and 2005 they were advertising the old Halloween Spooktacular at the start of the season but then announced halloween was cancelled by the summer. Bugger all in 2006. Scarefest started in 2007.

Ahhhh ToTT 2003, 2007, 2008...the Bloodfest Banquet. I know Candy Holland worked on the story/theme along with Tussauds Studios and visually it was impressive on paper and indeed the plans were too (interactive scenes, character interaction etc) but experiencing it in reality was weaker operation and maintenance wise. It was so script and show based which just caused awful throughput, weak flow and gave everyone a big headache.

Then came ToTT: What Lies Within, it addressed many issues the previous versions had but it presented a new problem and that was a lack of storyline...as this time, all scripting had been taken out! It works for throughput but on paper, it really is just a nightmare in terms of creativity, cohesion and immersiveness. Some of the scenes are actually named something completely different to what people think they are!

Dan Wood (previous creative ents lead) tried to refresh the ToTT Banquet story but its 2009 incarnation always lacked a sense of completion, which slowly started to get weaker the more the years passed.

Why did we go in to the Towers? To urban explore, so we break in and we're greeted with the boxed up great hall full of the families old possessions. However, suddenly we lose site of this foundation created for the story to be greeted by monks, a monastery, a nursery and a cellar with vampires (all in a family house?!), it was just a mishmash and that's due to a lack of story. It's been crying out for a change since 2011...and even more so when the sanctuary came along with a good balance of storyline vs scare.

Despite ToTT being earmarked for re-development more than once, other areas of SF had got the attention because there simply hasn't been enough budget to go round. It was very much a "well, it can survive another year" attitude but it has been a big passion for the team to give it a cohesive re-work for a while.

Finally this year we'll be seeing SF given some love. ToTT will change, Sanctuary should be too (as last year's carbon copy was last min changes) along with it being a much stronger event than we've become accustom to.

This year will be a complete kick up the ass that the event needs.

Last edited:
I'm hoping they reveal one of the mazes this Saturday for the first Scarefest Saturday. Everyone seems adamant that both mazes (ToTT and Sanctuary) are due to be changed or refreshed which is good. I am hoping they do something with Zombies though, either up the actor numbers or just try something different with it, as I found it rather boring last year and I felt like the 4 pumpkins after 7pm were not warranted at all, the intensity didn't really increase. As for Scary Tales, I'd welcome it back but to be honest, they need to look at locations in the park where they can get a decent lengthy Scare Zone in, and not something which will only last 2 minutes or so.

I hope they don't just focus on the mazes though, I'd like them to get some new theming and lighting in if possible with any of the budget left. The lighting in 2010 really did make the park look fantastic. I hope this year will be at least on-par with the likes of 2010, which I still feel was one of the best Scarefest events yet, with the introduction of Carnival Of Screams, park-wide lighting, theming, and Terror Of The Towers: WL:W being only 1 season old too. Here's hoping we get 2 new mazes (or at least a new maze in place of The Sanctuary and a refresh of ToTT), some decent park lighting, theming and the scare zones being worthy too.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly they announce for this Scarefest Saturday thing. There are 13 Saturdays until Scarefest, and I can't see them having enough to make solid new announcements every week.

I hope it's not stuff like "Franklyn will be returning with his Freaky Fun Zone!1!!!1!".

You get the picture.

Last edited:
Scaretours have posted the Scarefest line up. 2 new mazes, rerouted TotT and 2 new scarezones. See their Facebook.

"It's the big announcement we've all been waiting for and as we mentioned weeks ago Alton Towers will get two brand new mazes and two brand new scare zones for 2015:

Scare Mazes:

The Haunting of Molly Crowe – this new scare maze takes you to the home of Molly Crowe. One chilling night in late October, she was found in the cellar engulfed in flames, screeching sounds of inhuman origin. Her house now lies empty, but she is yet departed… Please note: Guests will be blind folded for certain parts of this experience.

SUB-Species: The End Games – this second new scare maze takes guests to a post-apocalyptic, sewer dwelling community who have been infested by a species from another world.

Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within – Returning for 2015 with a new route, dare you brave the rubble and hazards of the ruins and uncover the horrific chilling terror that lies within?

New Scare Zones:

Forbidden Valley: Dark Apocalypse - A deadly virus has spread across Forbidden Valley. Phalanx control has quarantined the area however, a recent security breach has questioned their ability to contain the virus and keep society safe.

Dark Forest: Nox:Infernus - The Underworld will rise once again for Nox:Infernus. The Night of Fire. Either join ‘The Cult’ or submit to the End of this World, as we know it."

Courtesy of ScareTour Facebook page.

I'm sure Alton Towers are delighted by this leak but indeed, here are the confirmed Scarefest details:
ScoreTOUR said:
Scare Mazes:

The Haunting of Molly Crowe – this new scare maze takes you to the home of Molly Crowe. One chilling night in late October, she was found in the cellar engulfed in flames, screeching sounds of inhuman origin. Her house now lies empty, but she is yet departed… Please note: Guests will be blind folded for certain parts of this experience.

SUB-Species: The End Games – this second new scare maze takes guests to a post-apocalyptic, sewer dwelling community who have been infested by a species from another world.

Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within – Returning for 2015 with a new route, dare you brave the rubble and hazards of the ruins and uncover the horrific chilling terror that lies within?

New Scare Zones:

Forbidden Valley: Dark Apocalypse - A deadly virus has spread across Forbidden Valley. Phalanx control has quarantined the area however, a recent security breach has questioned their ability to contain the virus and keep society safe.

Dark Forest: Nox:Infernus - The Underworld will rise once again for Nox:Infernus. The Night of Fire. Either join ‘The Cult’ or submit to the End of this World, as we know it.

Excellent news!

:)

I don't care for scaremazes but I'm glad to hear of two new ones! Been long overdue. The new route for TOTT sounds promising because when I did it in 2013 it was dreadful.

Outstanding News.

Really happy that they have given everything a refresh, and we have the 3rd maze back too without having to have a Scare Zone removed too.

Now I hope this is the turning point. Lets hope that every year, 1 attraction gets a refresh and we keep the 5 attractions on a cycle. Very excited by The Haunting Of Molly Crowe and the Scare Zones, and a fantastic move to get a Scare Zone in Forbidden Valley to get the attractions spread out more.

"It's the big announcement we've all been waiting for and as we mentioned weeks ago Alton Towers will get two brand new mazes and two brand new scare zones for 2015:

Scare Mazes:

New Scare Zones:

Dark Forest: Nox:Infernus - The Underworld will rise once again for Nox:Infernus. The Night of Fire. Either join ‘The Cult’ or submit to the End of this World, as we know it."

Courtesy of ScareTour Facebook page.
is this real? TotT returns...

The names of some of these are slightly ridiculous. I'm intrigued to know where the Forbidden Valley Scarezone would be located! The never used Sub Terra queue area perhaps?

I'm not sure the blindfolding is a great idea as some people may get aggressive not being able to see because of the fight or flight reflex. Having said this the actors shouldn't touch you anyway