• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2016

I bloody hope not, that maze & theme has been done to death:rolleyes:

I got no issue with them doing kinda like a sequel or prequel maze. They could go with a whole new theme and look but feature some of the iconic characters from The Sanctuary.

No chance of Towers ever using the phrase 'correction' again though! The idea of them returning to a Smiler/Sanctuary related themed after what happened last year is almost nil, they wouldn't want to risk it being seen as bad taste.

:)

Whatever we get, it will be interesting to see what unique concept we can get this year. I'll be there opening day once again and am hoping we're in for a treat! I think i'm essentially a scarefest enthusiast now so much as a towers enthusiast.

I know I'm really over thinking this "beauty is only skin deep", but screamfest Burton have announced that their new maze for 2016: love hurts.
fbdor7.jpg

Sounds like it could be a similar concept.

One maze I think I will always miss is Carnival; always stood out as being the different one but had it's scare and fun elements cleverly devised.

I will be at screamfest for the first time this year, so i'm looking forward to lots of new scare experiences this autumn! Carnival was a good maze, i think i prefer TOTT, sub-species and the sanctuary, however it was miles better than crowe, and provided a different experience rather than the usual creepy feel like the sanctuary and TOTT give. I miss it.

Screamfest Burton is a great event. I'm really pleased to see that people are now looking beyond Crapfest at Alton Towers because there really is better out there, and towers will never up their efforts until they realise they got competition.

I get really irritated by towers fanboys screaming "scarefest is the bestest thing eva!!" when they haven't so much as sniffed other halloween events.

I have been to Shocktoberfest at Tulley's farm every year for about 8 years. I can't speak for other local Halloween events, but I'm lead to believe Tulleys Farm is one of the better ones. And while it is good, Scarefest at Alton Towers is usually higher quality, and certainly better value.

Tulleys Farm throw an impressive event for a small farm, but beyond the Haunted Hayride (which is fantastic, despite being exactly the same every year), there is little on offer, with the actual scaremazes being low quality. The "actors" are just locally recruited kids who are normally bored after the first 2 nights and stop trying.

Not to mention it's as expensive as a day ticket to Alton Towers nowadays: £36 online price for just 1 go on all 8 attractions (fast track or extra goes cost more) vs £36 Alton Towers online day ticket (obviously most mazes are now upcharge, but still a valid price comparison IMO, since I get an entire theme park for my money at Alton.)

I love Tulleys, but there is no point glamming it up beyond what it is. It is a great local halloween event, but it has nowhere near the polish or professionalism as the events at Alton Towers or Thorpe Park.

Last edited:
From the twitter feed
  1. @altontowers the towers ruins are shut off from visitors. The sign says in prep for scarefest....is it really gonna be closed all season?
Alton Towers ResortVerified account‏@altontowers
Hi, It is in preparation for Scarefest and so will be unavailable.

12:16 PM - 8 Jul 2016

WTF! preps already, thats far too early? !

Cm2g7AdWcAAJWhK.jpg
I didn't think they normally 'start work' until around mid to late August! This is surely just an excuse.

Loving all this talk about other scare events! Scarefest is genuinely one of the better events out there, but events like Scare Kingdom, Screamland, Screamfest, Fear Avon Valley and Twisted Attractions Hellfest are all fantastic too.

Really hyped to see what this beauty is only skin deep thing could mean. Perhaps it's a cosmetic surgery sort of thing re-using some of the props from Sanctuary?

Ruins were closed off from Yesterday. Sign wasn't there in the morning, was on return. Chalk markings are down suggesting a return of sub species, and there were workmen up in the towers this afternoon.

It is probably more to do with the condition of the ruins, and they are being extra careful to restrict visitor access to them to preserve them. Scarefest prep is just a cover story.

I just don't believe Scarefest takes this long to set up, shame I couldn't have had another nose around before The Towers closed. And I was going to go on Tuesday. Oh well, I've no doubt that this years Scarefest will be on par with last year if not better.

It's a massive shame about the towers. They didn't open till way after the season opened this year, and the whole lower section was closed.

They closed in June last year at the same time of the Smiler crash.

A few years back they would be open in March and would close around the end of August.

Now they are barely open 2 months! I wonder if English heritage know how little they actually open the towers now?

I imagine it will take this long to set the mazes up as Alton towers have very few entertainments staff anymore as these were all made redundant with the cuts last year. So in the past they had loads of staff to set the mazes up, now they have very few.

It's just a shame that the thing Alton TOWERS was famous for are now barely open for the pubic to actually use.

I understand that there is a lot of work to be done for Scarefest! And as for opening, the earliest I got in there was April 17th. I make that about 11 weeks of opening this year.