• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2016

Please towers, please make TotT better this year and return sub species. TotT I found a little disapointment last year (just came out of sub species before that which probably didn't make it look any better), it needs more. I found that the jump scares were all predictable (we were in the middle of the line so we could see the actors before they jumped out). It might be that I'm just harder to scare, but saying "I want to eat you" and blowing my hair just doesn't do much for me (that said, my friend behind me cried most of the way through and was close to being evacuated). There are good elements to the maze, but overall I found it wasn't enough for me. One thought here: even if TotT returns, will it be "what lies within"? Towers could easily change the tag line and theme of the maze for this year.

Sub species was the opposite. It was the one maze that I really did scream in (need I say more than the word chainsaw?). I can think of few improvements for the maze (maybe not having alternate endings since one will inevitably be worse and how many non-geeks pay twice?) but small differences will be welcome. The best bit about the theme of SS for me though is that it is mot specific (like for example, molly crowe). Last year, it was the end games (is it just me who loves that as the name of a scaremaze?), but when they decide to move on from that it can be called anything.

Molly crowe was alright. If it comes back it comes back but if not I won't be upset. it was a decent maze but I don't see how the story can be changed enough for it to run much longer. I did expect it to return this year, but one of the mazes needed to be replaced and we all know how towers keep holding on to TotT for some reason. I hope the replacement has a higher budget.

As for the scare zones, I actually liked how they were last year. I know in the past you've had smaller versions of the mazes, but I enjoyed running around forbbiden valley being chased by zombies. They got some decent scares but I hope this year they use the areas a little more and maybe change the theme around (like to see a smiler themed one around x-sector). They could have so easily used the theming of FV to their advantage (and not fenced off the car perhaps). Just open NST and you have a great scarefest area.

Last edited:
Molly has got to be the cheapest of all cheap mazes. Apart from the staffing costs it's ideal for a park that's had it's ents budgets slashed.

Maybe, just maybe, this will be the year we finally get the 4th maze. But given how this season is working out I think that will be unlikely. Scarefest is the busiest time of the year however so Towers might be relying on it.

As for the Scare Zones, just scrap em. I mean the ones we had in 2015. Completely pointless and a waste of money on actors, go spend that money on something more interesting. Whoever thought those scare zones would be a good idea should be fired and banned from working in entertainment for the rest of their lives.

Molly has got to be the cheapest of all cheap mazes. Apart from the staffing costs it's ideal for a park that's had it's ents budgets slashed.
I must admit i'm going to have to disagree with you there, I can imagine the cost of the flying effect in the final room for Molly Crowe must've been humoungus! I doubt Alton would've spent the money to outright buy it, so i'm guessing they probably hired it out. There's no way that would've been cheap. Personally I bet it's probably the most expensive of the lot to run.

Haven't they already confirmed we're going to be seeing three mazes this year again, with the inevitable return of Terror of the Towers and one new attraction. Out of the two I think Sub Species is the most likely to return as that was a huge success, but I think Molly Crowe was incredible and could definitely have a future at the Towers too.

The scarezones were a mixed bag, I really enjoyed Dark Apocalypse, but I thought Nox Infernus was pretty poor. If they added more theming and moved Nox Infernus somwhere else, I think it could work pretty well.

I think molly crowe's finale would have had the highest budget out of all the finales (TotT's was reused from the year before, sub species human was very simple (but very good), and sub species alien wasn't quite as complex as molly crowe), but overall it would have the lowest budget. I doubt that there many actors in the maze (I think it was the same two following your group), and there would be no theming inside the maze.

RE: new maze - if sub species was to return this year with a new tag line, wouldn't it be classed as a new maze? Not that it needs refreshing yet, but surely it could be marketed as new if end games changed.

And personally, I enjoyed the scare zones. Could be executed better, but they (especially DA) did give a good scare to those in my group who walked out of the mazes.

RE: new maze - if sub species was to return this year with a new tag line, wouldn't it be classed as a new maze? Not that it needs refreshing yet, but surely it could be marketed as new if end games changed.

Oh yeah that's a good point! I would quite like that to be true actually, as I think last years line-up was pretty amazing! Molly Crowe needed some work, but I really did love it. Hope they all return, with Sub Species having a new sub-title.

Maybe, just maybe, this will be the year we finally get the 4th maze. But given how this season is working out I think that will be unlikely. Scarefest is the busiest time of the year however so Towers might be relying on it.

As for the Scare Zones, just scrap em. I mean the ones we had in 2015. Completely pointless and a waste of money on actors, go spend that money on something more interesting. Whoever thought those scare zones would be a good idea should be fired and banned from working in entertainment for the rest of their lives.
With the scare zones if they scrap them they could probably cover the actor costs but the scare zones can be good if done correctly.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

At the very least TOTT needs a complete overhaul this year. No moving stuff around, have a clean slate and start over.

I must admit i'm going to have to disagree with you there, I can imagine the cost of the flying effect in the final room for Molly Crowe must've been humoungus! I doubt Alton would've spent the money to outright buy it, so i'm guessing they probably hired it out. There's no way that would've been cheap. Personally I bet it's probably the most expensive of the lot to run.

Although I haven't actually seen the system Towers used, it will most likely just be a standard manually operated flying harness for stage use. It's basically just a jib arm with a counter weight on one end, all hidden backstage, and the other end has the body harness and wires on it. Most decent theatre groups have one, and they're not expensive to hire for a couple of weeks. Sorry if that kills the magic for you haha!

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Molly Crowe. It's been the best hooded maze I've done, and there are a few kicking about now, but the show itself is super cheap. I think the reason why they went with this concept was because in the year previous they didn't have the budget to open 3 mazes and so were down to 2. Doing a hooded maze was a great way to bring back 3 mazes on a very tight budget.

Sub Species was another El Cheapo maze. Next to no theming, the wall system and most of the props were recycled from The Boiler House (and that was recycled from Room 13). All pretty much painted black walls because it's supposed to be a sewer. Effective but minimal expenditure.

Compare the set design of both mazes with ToTT and you're looking at a fraction of the cost. I'd love to see a big, new, highly themed maze but I think the days of those Scarefest's disappeared years ago.

Last edited:
After a quick google search, and indeed i'm not entirely sure whether google gave me direct links or just anything with "horror movie" in the title, but I have found a few potential options for what the new maze could be with the tagline "beauty is only skin deep" (Posted by TS yesterday). These are:

. Saw
. Spring (2015 horror/romance movie)
. Tales from the crypt

I think it will be very unlikely that Towers will use an IP for their 3rd Scare Maze, particularly because the Ents team prefer to come up with their own concepts (so it seems), and having a single IP maze and the other 2 non-IP will make the line-up seem very odd and un-consistant, much like Thorpe's line-up of Fright Night mazes has deteriorated to.

I'd totally agree, it would make it seem cluttered. I just thought after hearing rumors of a third party IP maze it could be a possibility. Then again, it is just as likely it is the tagline for a new sub-species.

After a quick google search, and indeed i'm not entirely sure whether google gave me direct links or just anything with "horror movie" in the title, but I have found a few potential options for what the new maze could be with the tagline "beauty is only skin deep" (Posted by TS yesterday). These are:

. Saw
. Spring (2015 horror/romance movie)
. Tales from the crypt
I very much doubt it will be based on a horror movie! It's never been in Towers' nature to do that, whereas it would be for Thorpe. :)

As much as I doubt towers will use an IP, I think they will probably base it on a local event or legend (like hex or molly crowe).

After thinking about it, I think this may go down the same sort of serial killer route as boiler house (maybe someone trying to attack your face or something). I just asked myself the question: if I was designing a maze for towers with the only brief "beauty is only skin dep", what would I do?

As much as I doubt towers will use an IP, I think they will probably base it on a local event or legend (like hex or molly crowe).

After thinking about it, I think this may go down the same sort of serial killer route as boiler house (maybe someone trying to attack your face or something). I just asked myself the question: if I was designing a maze for towers with the only brief "beauty is only skin dep", what would I do?

So far the Entertainments department have been quite honest about their dislike for using the same theme twice when they make a new maze, for example clowns have already been explored through Carnival Of Screams and therefore it would be unlikely to receive another clown themed attraction. They like to come up with something original. So for me, I very much doubt that this maze will have anything to do with serial killers like The Boiler House did.

By the looks of things, they could be following something to do with physical appearance and personality and how that plays a significant role in society; how they will craft a story and an attraction out of that will be interesting to watch.

But you can most certainly rule out any theme which has been explored already through the former scare attractions at Scarefest. Originality has always been a key aspect. I could be proved totally wrong, but from previous years and from recorded interviews which have surfaced it seems obvious that they don't like to explore the same theme twice, apart from ToTT which is obviously the flagship maze.

So far the Entertainments department have been quite honest about their dislike for using the same theme twice when they make a new maze, for example clowns have already been explored through Carnival Of Screams and therefore it would be unlikely to receive another clown themed attraction. They like to come up with something original. So for me, I very much doubt that this maze will have anything to do with serial killers like The Boiler House did.

By the looks of things, they could be following something to do with physical appearance and personality and how that plays a significant role in society; how they will craft a story and an attraction out of that will be interesting to watch.

But you can most certainly rule out any theme which has been explored already through the former scare attractions at Scarefest. Originality has always been a key aspect. I could be proved totally wrong, but from previous years and from recorded interviews which have surfaced it seems obvious that they don't like to explore the same theme twice, apart from ToTT which is obviously the flagship maze.
Serial killers is a very open area though. It could still be original if it was explored in a different way. Boiler house was to the point - it was directly centred around serial killers. You could use the same basic concept, but with a new story line it would still be completely original.

And I'd personally love the themes of zombies, clowns, and hospitals to return. Never did the mazes but love the concepts. Hope to do them at another scare event at some point.

A new "correctional" facility featuring Dr Kelman? :D