• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2017

A shame that it is going to be another week before the lighting is up to standard but as Dan says Ents just don't have the resources available. Maze preparations seem to begin earlier each year as a result of savage entertainments cuts. Entetainments is a huge part of any theme park and it is a shame that either Alton Towers or Merlin management do not care. Yet they go and do what they've done with the CBeebies Land Hotel.

:)

I hear Haunted Hollow is scarier than The Welcoming...

Anyways:

Shouldn't that be -2 scare zones? They had one in FV and one in DF, then Freskshow.
Was it not just FV and Freak Show last year? The one in DF was so bad I don't remember it being around for more than 2015's scarefest

Okay I need visiting advice.

We're thinking about visiting Towers this Saturday because weather looks like it's going to be pleasant, and we've never been during Scarefest. That said, we do not intend to do any of the Scare Mazes or paid-for Scarefest activities. So I'm trying to gauge how much busier the park is during Scarefest and if it would be unwise to visit during this time, purely to do the rides. What are ride times like? Are they far longer than usual? Do the extra Scarefest activities offset ride times at all, and keep queues stable? What would your advice be for visiting during Scarefest without wanting to do the Scarefest activities?

Unreasonable ride times would be 45+ minutes for all coasters, IMO. I'd rather just go another time if queues are going to be too long, the day is too expensive for it to be 'unpleasant'.

Last edited:
^^ In terms of the queues, last weekend they were not too bad. Smiler was up to around 50 minutes at one point late afternoon, Nemesis no more than 30, Galactica was about the same.

Usually is the Halloween weekend when the queues are the worst. Also however bear in mind that queue times do decrease a lot after about 5.30pm when people start to queue for the scare mazes.

Of course it will be busier than your usual weekend, but if last weekend was anything to go by, then it shouldnt be "excessive".

A shame that it is going to be another week before the lighting is up to standard but as Dan says Ents just don't have the resources available. Maze preparations seem to begin earlier each year as a result of savage entertainments cuts. Entetainments is a huge part of any theme park and it is a shame that either Alton Towers or Merlin management do not care. Yet they go and do what they've done with the CBeebies Land Hotel.

I don't think its a case that Alton management don't care, after all their hands are tied by Merlin Management and their accountants telling them what they can and can't spend. No doubt they are also responsible for cutting the fireworks event down to just the 2 days. I think some at AT are just as frustrated as enthusiasts at the cut backs.

Oh I agree, but I'd imagine Merlin set overall budgets and it is up to each property to decide how to manage these budgets and where the cuts will take place. I may be totally wrong with that assumption mind.

How long are the queue times for the mazes generally?
This was q for ToTT Sunday around 3pm
DLn1qnOW4AAA72M

Was on my own. They made me wait for others. :( We were group of 5 in the end. Much better experience :D

The previous day around that time I waited around 30 mins to get in. I guess Sunday was a quite day. :)
What scene follows the 'box scene'?

While I have never been in, so would not know.
Just out of interest why?
Never been in myself. I am creating a halloween ride inspired by ToT on Planet Coaster and I'm trying to get some scenes similar to the actual attraction.

Was on my own. They made me wait for others. :( We were group of 5 in the end. Much better experience :D

The previous day around that time I waited around 30 mins to get in. I guess Sunday was a quite day. :)