• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2017

Apart from the health and safety nightmare, I'd like to see a scarefest attraction using the modern obsession with phones... Something along the lines of the Scream movies.

Pay an upsell charge (Merlin would love this bit), receive an old cheap phone on loan, enter the gardens at night, with just enough lighting to prevent any accidents. Find a series of clues, that guide you to an escape point, whilst being sought, by a homicidal maniac (something along the lines of Freddy, Jason, Ghost face, etc or The Hamble Twins). As you negate the dark lonely gardens, the maniac calls you on the phone (I can see you next to the fountain, i,'m gonna kill you etc). Make it to the escape point before being tagged by the Psycho and win a shirt, pin badge, trophy, etc the cost of which is more than covered by the upsell charge (the hook a duck business model). Would make a great team game or corporate event (more money).

Oh and as Diogoj42 said, release REAL zombies into the park!

Last edited:
They have done one each year since the sanctuary. They did one this year, but the YouTube video had been taken down so I think they posted it too early by mistake. Should be back up soon.
Could you link 2014 and 2016? I haven’t saw them ones

2013 with Dr Kelman

Actually maybe 2014 didnt get one...

....just trying to find 2016 one!! The 2017 one has been disabled at present.

Last edited:
Yes I have saw them two, I am also struggling to find the missing two! Wish Alton Towers would post them o their own channels or at least link them! Anyways, what is the 2017 song? I always thought that they were filmed once the event had finished, on the final night of scarefest.
2013 with Dr Kelman

Actually maybe 2014 didnt get one...

....just trying to find 2016 one!! I know it was done to the Katy Perry Roar soundtrack but cant find it a moment. The 2017 one has been disabled at present.

Im a bit puzzled where the 2016 one has gone unless they have disabled it while scarefest is on...... trying to search back through forums to find it but they deffo did one!

After watching the Scarefest music videos again, I am now realising that the woman from Freakshow 2016 who would ask you ‘BBQ or Ketchup?’ has been in ToT back in 2015 and I think I saw her in the 2013 video too! Committed actress.

I got asked bourbon or custard cream. I think I pulled when I said custard cream lol
She must have changed her questions then because people (or her) must have got bored of the same one.

At one point (maybe scarefest 2015 but don't quote me on that) didn't they randomly add some theming to haunted hollow (the 2 gargoyles that fart smoke)
Why did they do that, do you know?
I'm not complaining, just found it odd!

So my thoughts on this year's event after visiting on Saturday.

TotT was actually better than last year but really this maze has had its day now. We've all said this for the last few years but surely it cannot return in this form again next year? It is still a shadow of its former glory and much shorter than it used to be. However the new LED strobes worked well at the end so credit to Ents there!

Sub-Species was very disappointing for me, I had a poor run through with more hosts checking how the maze flowing than actors for the first half of the maze. The second half was better but still not a patch on previous years. A shame as the group in front had a brilliant run through, it just shows how hit and miss these mazes can be.

Altonville Mine Tours was my favourite of the three mazes this year. I only did it once last year so it still felt new compared to TotT and Sub-Species. I love the idea of the hard hats and controlled lights on them, it adds an extra dimension to the experience and you feel more involved. The strobe effect from the head light at the end also works really well. The only downside on this maze was the ending, it was a bit of a none event. Still, the theming in this maze is top notch.

Now on to the new attraction for Scarefest this year, The Welcoming. It's actually very good, not really at all scary but a fantastic experience. I remember people here saying during in its construction that it looked like the theming would be poor and it was just a load of tall wooden fences, well this is proof that you should not judge something until it is finished and has been experienced. The theming is immersive and you totally forget that you are in the Courtyard. There are some lovely lighting effects too, one part in particular with blue light shining through woven wood is so simple yet so effective. The audio is wonderful and although the narrative is fairly simplistic you get the idea of what is going on. Like Mine Tours the only disappointing part was the ending, nothing really happened although I understand that there is meant to be fire. Is The Welcoming worth £8? No. But it is well worth doing and helps set the scene for SW8.

Freak Show was as per usual, I really like the atmosphere of this scare zone. It is a shame about the lack of scare zone in Forbidden Valley, it really had a negative effective on the atmosphere in the area.

Park lighting was generally fine and I understand much better than the previous weekend. I don't think it is quite as good as last year though and doubt we will ever reach 2010 levels again.

Overall a good event and The Welcoming was a welcome addition (please pardon the pun). It was also great to see the park so busy!

:)

Sounds like a very similar experience to us Rob with the mazes. I felt let down with Sub Species as well. Dare I say it, even moreso than ToTT this year. Pity they havent been able to get the finale working properly on the Welcoming. I would love to know what it is supposed to be, obviously its something to do with fire, but I dont get the significance of the end scene......

I believe more work was done with the lighting the past week.

I think the ending of The Welcoming is working, it's just that they don't have total control of when the fire can go off. So it may work for one group but then not be ready again for the next group which is of course a shame.

:)

Having done The Welcoming quite a few times now, The best way to get the most from this maze is to take your time, dont rush hang back at the start and the end to get the full effects :D

During the hooded section of the welcoming I lifted up my hood and they had not themed that area at all it was an old food service bit and there was still boxes of cups on the floor, did make me giggle :rolleyes: