• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2022

I'm coming on the Friday too - went on the 8th last year and was absolutely spoiled by the ridiculous amount of walk-on rides I got, my partner and me got onto Smiler five times that day...

As someone who's a lot more comfortable on rollercoasters than live thrill attractions, I presume it's probably worth skipping all four of these? I've got two days on Park and I'm tempted to shake it up a bit, but I'm not sure if there's any that are "less scary" but also not crap?

As someone who's a lot more comfortable on rollercoasters than live thrill attractions, I presume it's probably worth skipping all four of these? I've got two days on Park and I'm tempted to shake it up a bit, but I'm not sure if there's any that are "less scary" but also not crap?

If this is your first time experiencing any of the mazes currently on offer then I'd still recommend Darkest Depths. It's definitely less intense than the other mazes, yet the experience is still immersive and memorable.

No comments on the mazes, because why repeat what's been said for years.

However the absolute barrel scraping, z-list, "influencer" invites has to stop. It makes the park look like a primark having an opening day. Its cheap, grim and makes towers look a budget destination.

If they insist on using some hun-fluencers, just get one or two - do a park filmed video where the park has control over the content and share it together. Other than that I would sooner set myself on fire that watch a video by a man who grifts under the guise of "charity" by singing about sausage rolls. Get a job.

Last edited:
Although I am going for Saturdays meet I have absolutely no desire to do any of the mazes which means I won’t have done a Towers scare mazes since 2019, but then again other than “headphones sponsored by vampire dullness” the same mazes exist in 2022 as did in 2019…

Is the MAP discount only on all 4 mazes? To be honest I probably only want to Darkest Depths - is there a discount for a solo maze - if not I probably won't bother paying £9 x 2 = £18 - might come for some night rides but only day can do is Wednesday 26th October and I expect that will be a busy day?

Is the MAP discount only on all 4 mazes? To be honest I probably only want to Darkest Depths - is there a discount for a solo maze - if not I probably won't bother paying £9 x 2 = £18 - might come for some night rides but only day can do is Wednesday 26th October and I expect that will be a busy day?
No you can get MAP discounts on solo maze tickets too but you have to buy them from the Box Office. However you can buy MAP discounted tickets for Trick o Treat Town and The Dungeon online. 😀

No you can get MAP discounts on solo maze tickets too but you have to buy them from the Box Office. However you can buy MAP discounted tickets for Trick o Treat Town and The Dungeon online. 😀
I don't really want to pay £10 for a couple of 10p bags of Harrribo to be honest lol - so the Box office is the one outside the main gates and can get 20% off there for solo maze - I think we paid £5 each for Bozos trailer at Thorpe in the summer, we really enjoyed that, any reason these are nearly double that? I can stomach paying around £15 but not any more ... Just looked it up Trailers was £4 each so this is nearly double with discount

Last edited:
Its not advertised but you can get maze tickets at those refreshment stands dotted around the park (the ones that sell sweets and Aero hot chocolate)

Not sure if its the same this year but I don't see why not.

I assume it was the Alton Ancestors, but the music near the Box Office was so loud on Saturday. Nearly caused me to have a meltdown whilst I was queueing! 😳

With scarefest continuing with no scare zones and now one less scare maze replaced with a seemingly lower budget darkfield attraction, downgrade in the lighting packages on rides and no new scare mazes.

It does make me wonder why did they bother with something like festival of thrills which is mostly during very off peak times and the cop out so much on their crown event, think Mardi gras and Oktoberfest was great though hope they continue.

It really does need a free scare zone. Apart from towers street you wouldn’t even know it’s Scarefest anymore. In the past nearly all areas had some sort of Halloween theming. Those who remember the lighting up around Hex in particular now how good it used to be.

I hate to say it, but I think Thorpe Park has actually got the upper hand this year. They have some pretty well-themed scare zones, which AT is just crying out for. It wouldn't even need that much imagination or theming, utilise areas such as Gloomy Wood/Haunted Hollow and the area between Spinball at The Smiler - we're not asking for much!

I always used to think Scarefest was the superior 'must visit' Halloween event, but haven't visited since 2018. After visiting last Sunday it's really gone downhill which is a crying shame. It just feels like it's become a money-grabbing exercise.

I imagine there are team members at Alton Towers who actually genuinely care and want to put on an amazing event, but are having budgets pulled out from under them.

The concept of something like The Invitation should be applauded, as it was a brave move, but the whole thing shouldn't focus on the audio, it should be an element of a wider story and experience. Something along the lines of what's there at the moment could set up a great story for a maze - but unfortunately, you're ejected into the sunlight wondering what you've just wasted 10 minutes of your life doing. Even the entrance and graveyard was pretty poor - looked like the sort of thing you'd pick up from Wayfair.

October 9th 2022 (17).jpg

October 9th 2022 (19).jpg

Hopefully, they'll have a 'super sweet' 16th birthday, as quite frankly, if they churn out the same drab, stale event again I wouldn't RSVP!

If Towers decided to do a Scarefest overhaul, this is what I think they should do

Returning attractions:
  • Trick Or Treat Town (Lower the price to £5)
  • Either Darkest Depths Or The Attic (Only one of them)

New scare zones:
  • Haunted Hollow: A Passage to Hell (Located in Haunted Hollow)
  • Lakeside Graveyard - (Located on the grassy area in-front of The Towers and next to The Invitation)
  • Admission to be free to both
New Scare Mazes:
  • Church Of Horrors (The story would follow on from The Lakeside Graveyard scare zone. The point of the scare zone is to make people buy tickets for this scare maze. Located where The Invitation is)
  • Xscape: Beware of What’s Beneath - The story would be you are trying to escape from an underground mine. Linked to the current Altonville Mine Tours and located where that maze currently is)
  • The Bunker: World of The Witches - The story would be you are climbing down to this bunker full of witches. Then climbing back out to the finale scene which would be all of the witches being burned alive. Located where Darkest Depths or The Attic is, whichever doesn't return)
All mazes to be £8 each
All 4 maze combi ticket £22

Last edited by a moderator: