• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2023

I can imagine there would be something Nemesis related, seeing as every major investment since The Smiler has had a maze to hype it up. The issue is, if it were to be a maze, there isn't anywhere near Forbidden Valley for it to go (previously they had Welcoming exit where it did as it backed onto the Wicker Man site, so it'd make sense for something similar).

Maybe it'll be more of a scare-zone approach with the hazmat guys doing their thing again - or, for the wishful thinkers, a soft-retheme of Sub-Species. Seeing as it's already linked to the Nemesis storyline, they could just tart it up a bit (assuming it's still in situ).

There’s zero chance of this happening, but I don’t want ANY of last years mazes back. First year since 2017 that I didn’t do them because I was bored of paying for the same old same old, and didn’t even try The Invitation because of how horrifically laughably bad it sounded. I’ll take The Attic back at a push, but everything else has to go 🤷🏻‍♂️

I won't keep my hopes up for a true quality scarefest like they used to be, at this point that would just be insanity.

What to expect is recycled old mazes with no scare zones and barely any roaming entertainment, couple good shows on the lawns, garden light walk should return and the one time of the year that wickerman shows its full potential.

I know that people sometimes unleash this sort of overhasty statement as a way to provoke reaction and without really meaning it, but if Alton don't announce at least two new mazes this year, I genuinely won't be going to Scarefest, which will be only the second time I haven't visited for 'Spooktacular' or Scarefest since mazes were first introduced in 2002 - the other being 2014 when the line-up was appalling (two mazes).

Instead, we'll be visiting one of the dedicated scare events across the UK.

The Invitation was poor, and Darkest Depths should not feature in the scare maze package. I don't personally mind Altonville returning as it's probably the strongest maze, but two of the other three need to be replaced.

Hopefully there'll be an announcement in the coming weeks so that we can make a decision on what we're doing.

Fingers crossed there'll be something super-intense announced - surely there's a market for the return of a Sub-Species-esque experience at Alton (ideally even scarier).

Alton is the biggest theme park in the UK and they should be going to town on Halloween, yet the event hasn't really grown in the last 8 years, and - if anything - has perhaps regressed in some aspects, certainly for the thrillseeker market. They have the perfect location to make it something very special - I imagine that it's likely that budget hinders the team, not a lack of want and creativity.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s not scarefest. I think they’ll be adding some semi-permanent fencing for when they have food and drinks on the lawns, rather than those temp fences which always look a mess.

Im hopeful of a good scarefest with at least 1 new maze and an improved invitation which i enjoyed.

over the last yr there has been a significant increase in investment at AT. Nemises retrack, the curse, sub terra, congo rapids. The painting of the monorail stations, the new guest service kiosks,

All this to me suggests they will invest money into scarefest.

I would absolutely love to see the return of one or two scare zones this year. The idea of mazes doesn't really appeal to me, but I loved the Freak Show scare zone back in 2017. I can definitely see some sort of Phalanx-Nemesis scare zone up around Forbidden Valley - it would be great to see another one too (I've always felt a Ministry of Joy scare zone would work amazingly, and they have all of that Festival of Thrills theming that they could use 👀)

I’m probably being extremely optimistic here but after the extremely poor reception of Scarefest last year, the entire event is having a massive overhaul with all new mazes. I’d love to see this event on the same scale as Thorpe Park’s Fright Nights with paid mazes alongside some really good free scare zones and roaming actors.

Really really hoping it’s a good year for Scarefest, as the atmosphere was horrific last year. Once you’d left Towers Street you wouldn’t really know it was a Halloween event at all.

The thing is though, Scarefest has become like Groundhog Day. Every year we expect something different, every year the same mazes are announced, Then come the first weekend, the same complaints. Stale mazes, lackluster entertainment, non existent decorations as soon as you walk past Corner Coffee.

The event has been on the decline since 2015 which arguably was the last great year for Scarefest. It desperately needs another hard reset.

I’m probably being extremely optimistic here but after the extremely poor reception of Scarefest last year, the entire event is having a massive overhaul with all new mazes. I’d love to see this event on the same scale as Thorpe Park’s Fright Nights with paid mazes alongside some really good free scare zones and roaming actors.

Really really hoping it’s a good year for Scarefest, as the atmosphere was horrific last year. Once you’d left Towers Street you wouldn’t really know it was a Halloween event at all.

I doubt it for this year just due to all the budget cuts we have had on all the events. Which again I don’t mind because they seems to be investing in a long term strategy plan now with Curse, Nemesis, ST, Horizon. If I was I would skip this year and possibly next, the general public won’t notice the same line up. In all honestly it really doesn’t bother Merlin cutting back on events for now as I’d much rather they keep investing in permanent improvements than temporary. Hopefully the Flats will be next!

You say none enthusiast's dont notice but there really wasn't many people doing the mazes last year people were just there for the night rides it seemed.
And that's not because enthiuast's are bored of those mazes as we only make up like 0.5% of the attendance anyway.

You say none enthusiast's dont notice but there really wasn't many people doing the mazes last year people were just there for the night rides it seemed.
And that's not because enthiuast's are bored of those mazes as we only make up like 0.5% of the attendance anyway.

Not sure I agree with that statement tickets were sold out on various dates during Halloween? Many people including myself do mazes in the day, then ride the rides at night..as thats one of few events or from a “non-enthusiast eyes” the only time you can ride the rides at nights. But not sure what’s wrong with that either, they still paid to come for the experience at Halloween?

I would accept The Attic and Darkest Depths back but I think that a fully refreshed line up would be welcome.

Sub-Species sequel would definitely be a good idea. I think part of the problem is that they come back EXACTLY the same. If they made tweaks each year it wouldn’t wind people up as much. They’re upcharge so there’s a budget there.

I would accept The Attic and Darkest Depths back but I think that a fully refreshed line up would be welcome.

Sub-Species sequel would definitely be a good idea. I think part of the problem is that they come back EXACTLY the same. If they made tweaks each year it wouldn’t wind people up as much. They’re upcharge so there’s a budget there.
The problems with a sequel to a past maze is that some members of the public will understand references to the previous maze and also that the new maze may lack originality as they may try an recreate the old experiance.

I am also hopeful this year for a overhaul with The Attic or Darkest Depths staying with at least two new mazes, Altonville and The Invitation being replaced. However being more realistic the line up will stay the same with Altonville going and being replaced. I also want them to improve parkwide atmosphere.

The problems with a sequel to a past maze is that some members of the public will understand references to the previous maze and also that the new maze may lack originality as they may try an recreate the old experiance.

I am also hopeful this year for an overhaul with The Attic or Darkest Depths staying with at least two new mazes, Altonville and The Invitation being replaced. However being more realistic the line up will stay the same with Altonville going and being replaced. I also want them to improve parkwide atmosphere.
Yes I think the lack of free scare zones is a shame. I would gladly forego one maze for a scarezone but I get that there’s no money in that.