• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2024

So me and Mrs were contemplating going for scarefest this year and braving the scare mazes for our first time. We live in Devon, so it would obviously involve an overnight stay. Needless to say after researching, this trip will not be happening!

Here are the costings based on a trip on Saturday 19th October:

ATH (standard explorer room): £298
1 day park entry: £94 (£47 x 2)
Scare maze and frights: £100 (£50 x 2)
Fuel there and back: £60
Dinner onsite: £60 with a couple of drinks, minimum
Lunch and soft drinks on park: £40 (no fridge in the explorer room so no packed lunch!)
Takeaway at ATH night before (late arrival): £30
Ad hoc shite: £15

That amounts to £697 for 1 day in a U.K. theme park with 1 overnight stay. I also think I’ve been very conservative with the F&B budgets, and I also haven’t included any fast tracks which will undoubtedly be needed.

I don’t know many people that can afford that, and we certainly won’t be going!

The biggest farce is £298 for a room worse than a travelodge. And to think, 3 out of the 5 paid for scare attractions are nothing new, and one of the other 2 features a man with hairy armpits in spandex that doesn’t even use the ride system that already exists.

Nah.

Last edited:
So me and Mrs were contemplating going for scarefest this year and braving the scare mazes for our first time. We live in Devon, so it would obviously involve an overnight stay. Needless to say after researching, this trip will not be happening!

Lunch and soft drinks park: £40 (no fridge in the explorer room so no packed lunch!)

That amounts to £697 for 1 day in a U.K. theme park with 1 overnight stay. I also think I’ve been very conservative with the F&B budgets, and I also haven’t included any fast tracks which will undoubtedly be needed.

The biggest farce is £298 for a room worse than a travelodge. And to think, 3 out of the 5 paid for scare attractions are nothing new, and one of the other 2 features a man with hairy armpits in spandex that doesn’t even use the ride system that already exists.

Nah.
Have you looked at off-park accommodation? The Chained Oak Farm B&B could be a good start.

Have you looked at off-park accommodation? The Chained Oak Farm B&B could be a good start.

Yeah we’ve stayed there a couple of times and it’s far superior to anything you get on resort.

I was more making a point of what a rip off it is if you try and strive for the “full resort experience”.

Lunch and soft drinks park: £40 (no fridge in the explorer room so no packed lunch!)

Nah.
When is the date you were looking? As we got a really good rate for SF onsite yet did book in july

Well if you are interested in camping, I stayed at Rue Hill Campsite in my campervan 16-17th of March and was £29 for a pitch with an electrical hookup and was a five minute drive from the resort from what I remember which was good and easy to get back to after a late night.
Stayed there in my camper a couple of years ago. Was nice and quiet. Got rid of the campervan now though. Would recommend Rue Hill though for a decent stay.

Lunch and soft drinks on park: £40 (no fridge in the explorer room so no packed lunch!)

Nah.

Out of interest you say it’s your “first time” so the fact those mazes have been at the Resort before is irrelevant to you as they’re new to you?

That total cost is indeed shocking but I just find it odd that it’s part of your justification.

I am fairly confident that the new Compound scare attraction is a experience rather than a maze.. It will probably be something like Survival Games, but possibly with an escape room twist..

-edit (just to clarify this was the only comment Alton replied to)

Attachments

• 1000006372.jpg
    1000006372.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I am fairly confident that the new Compound scare attraction is a experience rather than a maze.. It will probably be something like Survival Games, but possibly with an escape room twist..

Is there a chance that we do just get a survival games clone? Especially for the first room

It happened again..

Attachments

• 1000006442.jpg
    1000006442.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 90
Thought this is interesting, Towers Times / Attraction Source have been unable to negotiate the event they want to put on at Alton Towers (mainly as they won’t offer a behind the scenes) so it’s moving to Thorpe Park.
Guaranteed that Towers will be hosting their own VIP event as an upcharge. I mentioned earlier in the season that I thought we'd start seeing more of the type of events, that Attraction Source host, being brought in house. It's low hanging fruit and income Towers are giving away to another company.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:
Guaranteed that Towers will be hosting their own VIP event as an upcharge. I mentioned earlier in the season that I thought we'd start seeing more of the type of events, that Attractions Source host, being brought in house. It's low hanging fruit and income Towers are giving away to another company.

I think it’s more that Towers seem to be distancing themselves from fan sites and vlogger types. They might do their own behind the scenes but I think the primary reason is they just want to keep fan sites at arms length.

I think it’s more that Towers seem to be distancing themselves from fan sites and vlogger types. They might do their own behind the scenes but I think the primary reason is they just want to keep fan sites at arms length.
It is possible that's also the case, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, but that would fly against the more recent interviews that Alton Towers management have had with vloggers one on one, or even inviting a vlogger to take over a rollercoaster for a day.

They don't need to entice the audiences, or membership, of Attraction Source or theme park vloggers, they've already got them tied up. Having Attraction Source as a middle man for events, which they can easily run themselves (they'd be hosting the behind the scenes after all), is just handing over money unnecessarily.